[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leveon Bell facing suspension after skipped drug test

bud29

Bell has denied any failed/skipped tests, and no other outlets seem to be picking up the story yet. Might just be a bad rumor, thank god.

Bell has denied any failed/skipped tests, and no other outlets seem to be picking up the story yet. Might just be a bad rumor, thank god.

Yeah... talk about swinging for the fences. If this Madden guy is wrong, he's lost any and all credibility forever. If he's right, he's gotta be a trusted source on all things Steelers.

For now, he's just a talk show host in Pittsburgh and wrestling color commentator :blink:

• 1 month later...

This story has surfaced again. Bell is looking at a 4 game suspension. Big hit!

dumb, dumb, dumb, why are NFL player so dumb?

Came across this tweet from Bell back on 4/20 when he was tested

of course I get a "random" drug test on 4/20...good luck with that sample :rolleyes:

ETA To be fair, not all NFL players and not just NFL but plenty of athletes.

Edited by stevegrab

This is a false rumor. Heard on NFL Radio that this was all a bunch of bulltaco.

Apparently it was a correct rumor. Bell is facing a 4 game suspension for missing a drug test. He is in the middle of the appeals process.

P.S. the word "rumor" should be edited out of the thread title.

Edited by Dcat

RB chaos today - Bell and Elliott in one day. Yet another reason not to draft early.

So true. I hate leagues that are in a big rush to draft, why? And if it's a big money league, it sucks even more.

Edited by irish
  • Like 2

RB chaos today - Bell and Elliott in one day. Yet another reason not to draft early.

Drafting before August is just crazy. I know not every league can wait until the last minute, but drafts before the first pre-seson game is played, before any camp time, why?

this is getting past ridiculous. let these guys learn responsibility on their own and stop moralizing. the NFL ≠ their mommy.

if a player chooses to "abuse" whatever substance (we all know which one it is in the vast majority of cases), and is still in fine shape, good enough to play, and can earn/keep his job, then great, let them earn/keep their jobs.

if a guy chooses to "abuse" a substance and they get out of shape and lose their athleticim, then fine, let them lose their jobs and learn real responsibility.

and of course if they're arrested for possession or whatever else, then they'll go to jail and miss time of course. when they get out of jail, they can come back and compete for their job again (like vick or plaxico).

but i suspect a great majority of players would fall into the first category (they will use occasionally and still keep their jobs)

what this is really about - stop moralizing

(i know many - most? - people disagree with me here but c'mon this is getting so ridiculous is it not?)

one last note: PEDs are a completely separate issue - i of course think they should continue to test for steroids, HGH, etc because it gives athletes a competitive advantage.

Edited by pun
  • Like 1

this is getting past ridiculous. let these guys learn responsibility on their own and stop moralizing. the NFL ≠ their mommy.

if a player chooses to "abuse" whatever substance (we all know which one it is in the vast majority of cases), and is still in fine shape, good enough to play, and can earn/keep his job, then great, let them earn/keep their jobs.

if a guy chooses to "abuse" a substance and they get out of shape and lose their athleticim, then fine, let them lose their jobs and learn real responsibility.

and of course if they're arrested for possession or whatever else, then they'll go to jail and miss time of course. when they get out of jail, they can come back and compete for their job again (like vick or plaxico).

but i suspect a great majority of players would fall into the first category (they will use occasionally and still keep their jobs)

what this is really about - stop moralizing

(i know many - most? - people disagree with me here but c'mon this is getting so ridiculous is it not?)

one last note: PEDs are a completely separate issue - i of course think they should continue to test for steroids, HGH, etc because it gives athletes a competitive advantage.

Yep, there totally should be two sets of rules in life; those for the elite and those for everyone else. God forbid the higher ups face consequences when they do drugs or lie under oath or such...oh the humanity of it all. :rolleyes:

You stop moralizing for one, you stop moralizing for all. And since society in general has a lot of problems with morals, I would hate to see the degradation of most of the NFL drug policy just because some dumb assess can't stop smoking Mary Jane recreationally. You want to discuss using it medically for pain with players, well that is a different discussion.

Since the reported problem is with skipped test which could mean anything in terms of violations including PEDs, I'm failing to see how this relates to the topic.

• Like 1

Not advocating two sets of rules... I'd think it wrong for an otherwise competent CEO, NFL player, or cashier to lose their job for this reason. Key words being 'otherwise competent,' can't stress that enough.

Since the reported problem is with skipped test which could mean anything in terms of violations including PEDs, I'm failing to see how this relates to the topic.

Fair point here

• Like 1

should the nfl police this when it's legal in some places? should Denver players be allowed to smoke since it's legal here? I have a dispensary right next to a mcdonalds down the street. No, no, no... I do not partake in mcdonalds :puke:

Since it is not called the Colorado Football League and Josh Gordon is still not legal federally in the nation, I do not see why the NFL would be beholden to two states. Regardless should bus drivers be allowed to use? Doctors? Security guards or any other person carrying a firearm? I think businesses should be able to set and enforce whatever policies they want within the terms of federal and local labor laws. I think its fair for these businesses to expect you to follow these policies or face consequences since that is what was agreed upon when you accepted the position. I'm a HUGH believer in personal responsibility.

And its not like anyone has really lost their spot in the NFL over Josh Gordon. They lost their spot because they refused to take responsibility for their actions. You want to play, don't smoke.

I just don't see what intrinsic value Josh Gordon provides to society? It has no societal or religious traditions and can be harder to detect when someone is under the influence than alcohol without blood work, especially when you can now vape the manure. Hate to say it, but it seems its just the en vogue drug and now businesses and governments just want to profit off it. But I'm not looking to veer this off topic any further so I'll digress...carry on.

• Like 1

Heard on radio yesterday that this was a test he was supposed to take last season when he was hurt and couldn't get to the testing facility. Another nfl player chimed in stating that the league has gone too far with the timing of this randomness. Said player said he had his kids at Disneyland or sea world or something like that (this was/is the offseason by the way) and got a call that the tester was at his house waiting. No notice other than you better get here now. Player said I'm at an amusement park with kids can't be there for another 3 or 4 hours and that's if we leave right now. He wasn't penalized and was administered the test the next day. Wasn't penalized but was warned if it happen gain suspension is looming. All I gotta say is WTF? Players aren't allowed to take a vacation in the offseason??

Since it is not called the Colorado Football League and Josh Gordon is still not legal federally in the nation, I do not see why the NFL would be beholden to two states. Regardless should bus drivers be allowed to use? Doctors? Security guards or any other person carrying a firearm? I think businesses should be able to set and enforce whatever policies they want within the terms of federal and local labor laws. I think its fair for these businesses to expect you to follow these policies or face consequences since that is what was agreed upon when you accepted the position. I'm a HUGH believer in personal responsibility.

And its not like anyone has really lost their spot in the NFL over Josh Gordon. They lost their spot because they refused to take responsibility for their actions. You want to play, don't smoke.

I just don't see what intrinsic value Josh Gordon provides to society? It has no societal or religious traditions and can be harder to detect when someone is under the influence than alcohol without blood work, especially when you can now vape the taco. Hate to say it, but it seems its just the en vogue drug and now businesses and governments just want to profit off it. But I'm not looking to veer this off topic any further so I'll digress...carry on.

Exactly, players agree to a set of rules, then break them and we have fans saying "so what its pot". Or "but pot is legal in Colorado, how can you stop a player in CO from doing what is legal."

Personal responsibility plain and simple. Want to play in the NFL but don't want to give up smoking Josh Gordon, then be prepared for the consequences when you get caught.

As for the testing rules and their timing, again that is all something agreed to by the NFLPA, part of the CBA and each player accepts when they sign a contract. I'm not surprised that some players have felt it was unfair and did hear a story about somebody having to get one while on vacation and making special arrangements. i suspect in some cases the player is just frustrated and doesn't show up, doesn't call to explain or just doesn't understand the rules (like Gordon and his "hey season is over I can drink again" when in fact it was just the end of regular season, not the NFL calendar year).

Not trying to generalize but the problem with most offenders are that they're the higher profile higher talented players at the skill positions (RB's, WR's, QB's, etc.) who are brought up in poverty or low income places. Their talent kept them out of trouble when they were younger - got them a free ride to school where they refined that talent and took it to the next level. They then get drafted into the league and become instant millionaires.

With that though - it's all common sense - especially when it comes to pot. Just cause it's legal doesn't mean that it's allowed. I mean drinking is legal - but if I have a drink and show up to work hungover, I'm gonna be reprimanded. Owning a gun (open carry) in this state is legal - but if I show up to work with that gun holstered on my belt - I had better expect to be called into HR's office and/or not be shocked if the cops show up to ask questions. It's all common sense - and too many of these instant millionaires all seem to have the attitude that they're above the law - they made it to the pinnacle and are untouchable. Yes, again I know this is a general statement that I think the majority of the offenders fall into.

There are some good ones out there - not trying to be bias, but Robert Mathis. Was having fertility issues with his wife so he was taking some stuff to enhance the swimming ability of his little tadpoles. Something in that concoction was on the banned list of PEDs. Did he try to cheat? No. For a good reason, there's no gray area, but sometimes things should be taken into consideration for the punishment. Leveon Bell again for example - dude was laid up. He couldn't walk - let alone drive. Could he / should he have had help to get to the testing facility? Probably - but its not like he just blatantly skipped his test cause he was guilty - but then again, it's his word versus the policy. Know the rules or get the punishment. IDK - it's a broken system but I don't have the solution.

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1