[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crowell not a class act

What a giant d-oo-sheronimo!

Edited by irish

Good on the staff...

The Browns issued a statement regarding Isaiah Crowell's insensitive Instagram post from last week, saying "just an apology" is "insufficient."

The Browns called Crowell's post "extremely disturbing and unacceptable," later saying "he must take steps to make a positive difference after a very negative and impactful post." It's worth noting just how much coach Hue Jackson and the new Cleveland regime preached high character this offseason. Crowell isn't expected to face league discipline, but the team could punish him.

and good on Cleveland's fan and media for not accepting this bs...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports the Browns have "no plans" to cut Isaiah Crowell following his insensitive Instagram post.
Crowell posted an image of a police officer being stabbed in the neck by a hooded person last Wednesday, but it came to a head Monday. Crowell deleted it and issued an apology, before the Browns released a statement saying they want more from the running back, wanting him to be part of the solution. Cleveland fans and media have called for Crowell's release, but the team doesn't appear to be going down that road. If they change their minds, Terrell Watson would be a name to keep in mind. Jul 12 - 12:05 AM

Rotoworld

God knows many would be fired from their jobs and outcasted in their communities for promoting such hate propaganda. Hopefully Crowell straightens up after this, but for now he's officially been added to the list of players I'll never draft on principal.

• Like 4

I don't get how he says (in his apology link below) "My values and beliefs do not match that image. "

Then why post the image, because you were angry and wanted the world to know, and your anger (when posting) was directed at the police in general in some way? He says he immediately removed it, to me immediate is "oops I didn't mean to click post...." scurry off and delete, not later when somebody says "dude not a good idea to post that".

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/browns-rb-crowell-apologizes-instagram-drawing-40505546

One local sports writer is calling for the team to give him a chance and not just fire him, to use this as a chance to do some good, have him work with the police, the inner city youth, things that could change how people think. That would be nice but in reality its all probably about spin and trying to put this PR disaster behind them.

Somebody on another forum is telling me "that is a powerful image that needs to be shared, but not a good idea for him to post it". They tried to explain the image is saying we the citizens are terrorists (the partial American flag on the man in black killing the cop) and that we need to act to stop all this violence (cops killing, others killing cops, citizens killing each other). Not sure I buy that, but maybe some segment of society does see that message, and maybe Crowell was one of them.

In reading some comments on one story I was reminded that Crowell had some problems with the law in college and wsa booted of the UGA squad for felony weapons charges (which were later dismissed). The 9mm pistol under his seat (he was driving) had the serial number filed off, but since they couldn't link the gun to him "beyond a reasonable doubt" they dropped the charges.

I guess the moral here is, don't own your own car, drive one that belongs to somebody else that lets many people use it. Then any drugs or weapons found in the car can be claimed as "not mine" to avoid prosecution. Oh and have some high priced defense attorney represent you pro bono.

Edited by stevegrab

I am very pro police but also very second chance. I dont know much about crowell off the field but if this is a once and done stupid 23 year old mistake and it doesnt happen again, I can look past a stupid post on the internet. But very short leash from now on with me. Shouldn't be the end of the world but it is a disturbing post.

Emotions are running hot and high these last few days

Edited by frenzal rhomb
  • Like 1

I am very pro police but also very second chance. I dont know much about crowell off the field but if this is a once and done stupid 23 year old mistake and it doesnt happen again, I can look past a stupid post on the internet. But very short leash from now on with me. Shouldn't be the end of the world but it is a disturbing post.

Emotions are running hot and high these last few days

Believe its his first problem since being drafted, but had trouble in college at Georgia as I outlined.

I'm not against giving him a second chance, but thinks he needs to do something to atone for this, work with youth in the community, donate to police charity, something other than the lip service of the apology the team drafted for him.

As for emotions being high, yes they are, and too many people respond based solely on their emotions without any reason or judgement. That usually creates more problems, and doesn't solve things.

• Like 1

Now he issued a statement saying he will be donating money to a police organization. Too little too late in my opinion! What a horrible decision to post that!

Agreed, seems like a bribe to hopefully make this go away.

I generally like to give the benefit of the doubt to people, but using an ISIS execution video as the template for your drawing is way beyond the pale. If I owned the Browns, it would be a tough call but I would cut him.

I agree that he should be very amenable to education as to why this was a bad idea - just think a line was crossed here that you can't walk back from.

The polices in CLE are threatening to boycott their games. That's no surprise.

Pretty sure that would only apply to security inside the stadium, as they are hired by the Browns for that. I don't beleive they could (or would be allowed to) decline working traffic, and patroling various off site parking lots like they do for every game. Security at the game is like a cop working security at a bar, their discretion on what places they work. Patrol and safety outside an event is just another assignment.

I'm hoping Crowell really gets it, and this can turn into a positive (him donating money, working with police and the community to improve relations) and isn't just lip service to make it go away.

The polices in CLE are threatening to boycott their games. That's no surprise.

Not that anyone watches the WNBA, but four off-duty cops in Minneapolis walked out on their security job at a Lynx game 'cuz the Lynx players had a shirt on that paid tribute to the lives that were lost last week - including the policemen in Dallas - but also read "Black Lives Matter".

Sports really does mirror society.... especially with athletes so prominent on social media. These are interesting ... and troubling .... times.

Isaiah Crowell's tasteless tweet this week is another flagship moment under the ownership and leadership of Jimmy Haslam and his attempt to increase the value of his community asset known as the Cleveland Browns. Since taking over in 2012, Haslam's accomplishments with his primary business Pilot Flying J and his secondary business the Cleveland Browns are quite impressive.
  • 2013 - Pilot Flying J Fuel Rebate Scam in which the FBI and IRS raided headquarters in Knoxville, TN. Five employees made up of a regional director and managers plead guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud. Haslam's primary business settled by paying a $92 million penalty pursuant to a Criminal Enforcement Agreement. No charges were made against Haslam. Surely, it can't hurt that Pilot Flying J's co-owner is Haslam's brother Bill Haslam, who is also the standing Tennessee Governor since 2011.
  • 2013 - Head Coach Rob Chudzinski is fired by the Browns after only one season.
  • 2014 - Mike Pettine is hired as head coach by the Cleveland Browns.
  • 2014 - The Cleveland Browns select QB Johnny Manziel with the 22nd pick of the NFL draft.
  • 2015 - Browns General Manager Ray Farmer is suspended for violating NFL rules by sending texts to owner Jimmy Haslam during a NFL game. Haslam said, "Ray's a guy -- I've known a lot of people -- I think has utmost integrity." Haslam went on to say that Farmer had his full support.
  • 2016 - Browns General Manager Ray Farmer is fired before the end of the 2015-2016 season.
  • 2016 - Head Coach Mike Pettine is fired by the Cleveland Browns who proved that they are patient by allowing him two seasons compared to their previous head coach.
  • 2016 - First round pick Johnny Manziel is waived by Browns.
  • 2016 - Eight former Pilot Flying J personnel including the company's president and two vice presidents were indicted on 14 counts including conspiracy to commit fraud and witness tampering. The defense lawyers successfully requested the trial start date be postponed from April 2016 till October 24, 2017.

It's truly disappointing to see such out of touch and horrid behavior from Isaiah Crowell when you consider the outstanding leadership and wonderful judge of integrity demonstrated by the Browns ownership.

Edited by electricrelish
  • Like 1

Isaiah Crowell's tasteless tweet this week is another flagship moment under the ownership and leadership of Jimmy Haslam and his attempt to increase the value of his community asset known as the Cleveland Browns. Since taking over in 2012, Haslam's accomplishments with his primary business Pilot Flying J and his secondary business the Cleveland Browns are quite impressive.

• 2013 - Pilot Flying J Fuel Rebate Scam in which the FBI and IRS raided headquarters in Knoxville, TN. Five employees made up of a regional director and managers plead guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud. Haslam's primary business settled by paying a $92 million penalty pursuant to a Criminal Enforcement Agreement. No charges were made against Haslam. Surely, it can't hurt that Pilot Flying J's co-owner is Haslam's brother Bill Haslam, who is also the standing Tennessee Governor since 2011.

• 2013 - Head Coach Rob Chudzinski is fired by the Browns after only one season.

• 2014 - Mike Pettine is hired as head coach by the Cleveland Browns.

• 2014 - The Cleveland Browns select QB Johnny Manziel with the 22nd pick of the NFL draft.

• 2015 - Browns General Manager Ray Farmer is suspended for violating NFL rules by sending texts to owner Jimmy Haslam during a NFL game. Haslam said, "Ray's a guy -- I've known a lot of people -- I think has utmost integrity." Haslam went on to say that Farmer had his full support.

• 2016 - Browns General Manager Ray Farmer is fired before the end of the 2015-2016 season.

• 2016 - Head Coach Mike Pettine is fired by the Cleveland Browns who proved that they are patient by allowing him two seasons compared to their previous head coach.

• 2016 - First round pick Johnny Manziel is waived by Browns.

• 2016 - Eight former Pilot Flying J personnel including the company's president and two vice presidents were indicted on 14 counts including conspiracy to commit fraud and witness tampering. The defense lawyers successfully requested the trial start date be postponed from April 2016 till October 24, 2017.
It's truly disappointing to see such out of touch and horrid behavior from Isaiah Crowell when you consider the outstanding leadership and wonderful judge of integrity demonstrated by the Browns ownership.
I don't understand. Is Cromwell a moran because of him? Is that what you're implying? That's ridiculous
  • Like 1

I don't understand. Is Cromwell a moran because of him? Is that what you're implying? That's ridiculous

I'm insinuating that the entire organization is lacking in integrity starting wtih the owner Jimmy Haslam. Isaiah Crowell is an example of a much larger systemic problem with the franchise that appears to not be very good at judging character. When it rains, it pours.

Edited by electricrelish

I'm insinuating that the entire organization is lacking in integrity starting wtih the owner Jimmy Haslam. Isaiah Crowell is an example of a much larger systemic problem with the franchise that appears to not be very good at judging character. When it rains, it pours.

And the Panthers organization is the best around, all upstanding citizens and ownership with the highest morals around.

I'm so tired of Cleveland teams being the punching bag for everybody, Haslam has his worts (the biggest of which has ZERO to do with his NFL team) but your rant is amusing. Yes, they drafted and gave Crowell a job, such a lapse in judgement :rolleyes:

And the Panthers organization is the best around, all upstanding citizens and ownership with the highest morals around.

I'm so tired of Cleveland teams being the punching bag for everybody, Haslam has his worts (the biggest of which has ZERO to do with his NFL team) but your rant is amusing. Yes, they drafted and gave Crowell a job, such a lapse in judgement :rolleyes:

Hey at least the Panthers cut Greg Hardy.

Whatever you think of the Crowell situation, the business situation with Haslam is really bad news. His entire business is getting rolled up by the Feds. Some of that stink is bound to affect the Browns.

And I think the days of Cleveland teams being punching bags are over. That's an NBA title you have now. :clap:

• Like 1