[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV / NFL Sunday Ticket offers

Shorttynaz

Anyone able to get any deals yet? Just upgraded to a 4k TV a few weeks ago and got a ton of free equipment upgrades but the NFL TICKET didn't have any offers yet.. Curious to know when they'll start rollin em out - if anyone got one yet

Play the "retention" game. Search the forum here and you will find great scripts. Works every year and has been since the ticket was offered. Every year me and my father make the call and I play the helpful son while my dad plays the loyal old guy that just wants to watch football and doesn't understand why the price is so high for Directv when Dish and Comcast offer so much more for so much less. Been a loyal customer for over a decade yet the offers by the other providers are getting more and more attractive.

Make SURE you get to "retention" or your selling it to the wrong person. Lately we have been able to get the NFL Max thrown in so we can "watch the games when we are camping and fishing". Last year we got NFL Ticket + Max, showtime, HBO and some other premium channels for some teaser period I can't remember how long though.

I think it is unfair how much they charge and don't offer a way to just pay for the games of your favorite team at a reasonable price. If they did that I may consider paying for it because they are trying to be reasonable.

Find the scripts and stick with it. Be prepared to leave which is the most important aspect. You can hear my dad in the background saying "forget it son lets just move to Dish I don't need all this stuff." While I follow with "yeah dad I can show you how to get games online anyway lets just shut it down if they can't do anything to make it worth while for us to stay."

Good luck.

Play the "retention" game. Search the forum here and you will find great scripts. Works every year and has been since the ticket was offered. Every year me and my father make the call and I play the helpful son while my dad plays the loyal old guy that just wants to watch football and doesn't understand why the price is so high for Directv when Dish and Comcast offer so much more for so much less. Been a loyal customer for over a decade yet the offers by the other providers are getting more and more attractive.

Make SURE you get to "retention" or your selling it to the wrong person. Lately we have been able to get the NFL Max thrown in so we can "watch the games when we are camping and fishing". Last year we got NFL Ticket + Max, showtime, HBO and some other premium channels for some teaser period I can't remember how long though.

I think it is unfair how much they charge and don't offer a way to just pay for the games of your favorite team at a reasonable price. If they did that I may consider paying for it because they are trying to be reasonable.

Find the scripts and stick with it. Be prepared to leave which is the most important aspect. You can hear my dad in the background saying "forget it son lets just move to Dish I don't need all this stuff." While I follow with "yeah dad I can show you how to get games online anyway lets just shut it down if they can't do anything to make it worth while for us to stay."

Good luck.

Only now you are dealing with an AT&T Culture. Very different. More resistant to negotiation and flea market bargaining than the old DTV. Much more Verizonish.

Only now you are dealing with an AT&T Culture. Very different. More resistant to negotiation and flea market bargaining than the old DTV. Much more Verizonish.

Good point. Didn't think about that for this years call. Didn't notice anything different last year though. May need to alter strategy this year. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edited by Cowboyz1

From what ive read elsewhere, if you're contract is up and you cancel then sign up again you are a "new customer" and gt all the real deals

I sold DirecTV, Dish, & Comcast for years in the PNW. There is a 6 mos. waiting period before you qualify as a new customer again just for this reason, unless they've changed policy in the last year. As someone else mentioned best bet is getting to the customer retention department, they have the authority and resources to offer the best "deals" to make you stay.

I sold DirecTV, Dish, & Comcast for years in the PNW. There is a 6 mos. waiting period before you qualify as a new customer again just for this reason, unless they've changed policy in the last year. As someone else mentioned best bet is getting to the customer retention department, they have the authority and resources to offer the best "deals" to make you stay.

guys posting at fbg every day that theyre cancelling and then getting great deals immediately after

I beg to differ. I switched to DTV from ATT U-verse for that very thing. U-verse gave me a special price that was good for 60 days and every 60 days I'd have to call and haggle over price. That lasted 18 months before my son was born so I just didn't have time to haggle. I want a price that will last, not one that changes every 2 months. So AT&T is used to haggling.

I beg to differ. I switched to DTV from ATT U-verse for that very thing. U-verse gave me a special price that was good for 60 days and every 60 days I'd have to call and haggle over price. That lasted 18 months before my son was born so I just didn't have time to haggle. I want a price that will last, not one that changes every 2 months. So AT&T is used to haggling.

That's interesting. Good to hear. But so far, per a different fan message board where about a dozen people have posted ttheir frustrations, DTV is not offering the same level of discounts as past annual haggling has brought it. People have written that the best they could get was $50-$100 off the entire Sunday Ticket season or additional programming worth about $100. Night and Day compared to previous years. I called to cancel mine. After a month goes by, around August 12, I'll call retention to see if I can get it back at a bargain price. One usually makes out better by quitting first and then returning several weeks later.

A few years ago all I got for free was the RedZone Channel. Last year I was only offered the Sunday Ticket at a discounted rate, but they threw in some bill credits and free programming. What did I watch last year? The RedZone channel exclusively. I spoke with someone a few days ago and was told that they have always offered this as an 'a la carte' product but it's never been advertised. I do know that Cox Cable (local cable company here) offers this channel for $40 - $50 for the entire season - my neighbor gets it and shows me his bill each year. I've been over there a few Sundays and while it's a different 'broadcast' it's the same game clips. Only difference is it's not Andrew Siciliano - but when they cut to / show games, it's the same feed.

The person I spoke with a few weeks ago @ DTV said every year just about everyone is eligible for this channel at no cost, but the only way to get it is through the retention department. At the time I spoke with her, she said that it's not currently available as an offer, but to call back late July / early August.

The last two years, my deal has been for redzone only. I have paid $40 per year for the redzone. This is DirectTV, as well, who tries to give you the impression that they cannot separate redzone as an individual service. I remind them that Dish offers redzone alone and then all of a suddeen DirectTV will separate the two, now (redzone from full package).

Disclaimer: I also negotiate my bill in other areas. Usually, I pay $78/month for their best TV package (plus 5 receivers) and all movie channels, one year deal. I renew every August so I can get the Redzone deal. I also upgrade all my equipment for free, last year they even sent a tech over to replace all the cables in my house so I could use on demand better.

That's interesting. Good to hear. But so far, per a different fan message board where about a dozen people have posted ttheir frustrations, DTV is not offering the same level of discounts as past annual haggling has brought it. People have written that the best they could get was $50-$100 off the entire Sunday Ticket season or additional programming worth about $100. Night and Day compared to previous years. I called to cancel mine. After a month goes by, around August 12, I'll call retention to see if I can get it back at a bargain price. One usually makes out better by quitting first and then returning several weeks later.

ok guys, there's a thread on this on fbg, you can't miss it. Read the last cpl pages , they're killing it and they tell you how

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/forum/4-footballguys-free-for-all/then look for 'Can you negotiate with directv?'

The free for all forum itself looks pretty entertaining. Cheating wives, wives buying houses with fathers, clothing optional, and even a Clash of Clans thread for Irish! I'll not speculate on what those four topics might have in common...

So today I called DirecTV at the number that was listed in the ‘other guys’ forum (855-407-3110) to which someone immediately answered stating he was with the DirecTV retention department. I told him I was looking to reduce my bill of $100 a month or quite simply close my account of 13 years due to having Netflix / Hulu (to which I do have both now) for a total of $21/month. Only downfall to Netflix/Hulu is I don’t get live sports. He stated all he can do is offer me incentives to stay, but as I haven’t closed my account yet there’s nothing he can offer me to stay as I’m a current customer. I was like you’re telling me I have to close my account before I get someone offering me incentives to stay? He advised yes, this has been a long time policy of AT&T. I asked him how much do I owe if I close out my account? He tells me I have 21 months left on my contract to which I have to pay a cancellation charge of $20/month for each month. I asked him if he can take a CC payment of $420 today and close my account now? He said no – he’s only with the retention department. I told him again I’m ready when he is to take my $420 to cancel my account. He then tells me that he doesn’t have authority to close out my account, and then tells me that he can’t even transfer me cause my phone number isn’t linked to my account and nothing pulls up. I was like wait a minute, you just told me I have 21 months left on my contract..?? How can you tell me you don’t have access to my account?? He gave me a number to call to get to their regular customer service department to which they would first require full payment before closing out my account – and then would send me boxes to send my equipment back or I would receive further charges. Once I send the equipment back and they receive it, my original DirecTV account would be considered closed and not available to be reactivated as this is an old DirecTV account, not an AT&T account. If I wanted to open a new account at that time, I would be considered a new customer and would qualify for all new customer deals & incentives. I told him before I jump ship, where does his job come into play? If he’s with the retention department, when does he come in and try to keep a 13 year customer from leaving? He started stuttering and “uhh, umm, uhh – once you close your account, the customer service department will then send you over here once they’ve marked your account to be closed. If you don’t agree to any of the offers / incentives I present at that time, I will then process the cancellation and bill you the $420." I told him this is either the most clunky process I’ve ever been a part of, or someone’s running something very fishy here. I need to decide if it’s worth my while to pay $420 to cancel only to re-open a new account afterwards if his incentives aren’t good enough.

About 2 hours passed, I cooled off a little and then called 1-800-DIRECTV to which I went through the prompts to ‘close my account – not cause I’m moving’ and got through to the ‘real’ retention department. The woman I spoke with was super nice and immediately understood my concern of paying $21/month for ‘online programming’ (Netflix/Hulu). I told her about the conversation I had with someone earlier this afternoon to which he said I should close out my account and open up a new one to get the best offers. I then simply asked the obvious question – told her I’ve been reading of a lot of people calling AT&T and cancelling their service and then getting a ‘give us a chance’ offer. She said she’s well aware of this – but said there’s no truth to this. She said she’s been there 6 years, and they (DirecTV / AT&T) are well aware of the loopholes that people are going through to get these incentives. Told me that safeguards have just recently (this week) been put into place internally to prevent people from doing this. I told her the rep I spoke with 2 hours ago told me if I close out my DirecTV account and pay the penalty for closing while in contract, I can then re-up and get the new customer incentives. She first says there is no record of me calling in earlier this afternoon, no notes in my account since July 12th (the last time I really did call). Said their policy is very firm - if you have service, cancel it, call back to activate ‘new’ service within an unspecified amount of time – if you have the same name, address, phone number – they immediately mark you (and all your information) as fraud and will not only refuse to reactivate your old service, but refuse to offer new service as it’s well within their rights to decline service to anyone. So – needless to say I didn’t cancel, but wasn’t a dick either.

I told her I’ve been with DirecTV for 13 years to which she confirmed. She told me that my account is in great standing – haven’t been late on a payment in over 3 years and told me that she was going to look through current offers. I asked about receiving just the RedZone channel as I received this complimentary two years ago – last year I paid for the MAX ticket at a discounted price. She looked it up and verified that I was correct. Told me if I paid for the ticket last year (I did) then what she’s seen in years past is they will offer it complimentary the following year – regardless if you’re in contract or not. She then came back and said there are currently no offers at this time not only for me, but not for anyone regarding the ticket. She said she can sign me up for the standard package at $44.99 a month for 6 months, or I can sign up for the MAX ticket at $59.99 a month for 6 months. I again asked about the RedZone channel as an ‘a la carte’ as that’s all I watch, and all I want. She said not only is it not available for individual purchase, but it doesn’t come with the standard package either. You can only get it if you subscribe to the MAX ticket package. I told her no thanks (while remaining nice and calm), I refuse to pay $360 for something I’ve received either heavily discounted or comped in years past. I asked if all their longtime customers are being turned away – and while she remained very sincere and apologetic, told me that it’s not my account or me personally – its universal for everyone. We ended the conversation with her telling me that she’s noting my account that I am to receive any ‘special offer’ between now and September 15th – told me to call back Labor Day weekend as they usually will open up special offers in early/mid-August – but the best offers usually hit the weekend before the season starts.

I honestly left the call feeling very disappointed and wondering if I was lied to – or if she was being honest (I truly felt she was) – but will certainly take her advice and try again on draft weekend (weekend before opening weekend).

Still interested in hearing if anyone else gets anything prior to this.

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1

i have been doing this dance for years. the best deals have come from retention (even better if you actually cancel- this usuallu involves multiple calls). There have been some years where they have just given me what i have wanted, and some you have work a little hard for discounts. This year they are tighter with what they are offering. I have not had as much time or energy as years past and got about $50 off per month for12 months, $25 off for 6 months. and 30% off ST. I believe I could have gotten it for free again, but do not have time to make the extra phone calls.

shorty,

You had for more patience than I would, and sounds like you wasted a bunch of time talking to people who really had little power do things. The idea that you'd have to cancel, and then return all your equipment, before the retention team would talk to you and make some deals just sounds crazy. Retention comes from the word retain, as in "to keep". You don't retain a customer when you force them to cancel then call retention to get a better offer.

I think that person was either very lazy, or AT&T is making changes because that doesn't match what others doing this with DTV in the past have told us about.

I had Dish and switched to AT&T, after getting the AT&T installed I called Dish to cancel, and they immediately started trying to make me offers to stay with them. I explained it was too late, I already had a new TV service and a contract with them that I wasn't going to break. Of course I do still get offers in the mail from them trying to get me to return.

• 2 weeks later...

YES

Offered $37 off (+$10 if you don't have auto-pay) for 12 months and $9.99 a month off for ST Max. Passed

Set a cancellation date and called back and got $50 off a month for 12 months, free ST Max. Good for me.

Supposedly you will get a call or email for the "Big Deal" if you disconnect (I did not) and get the above plus 3 months of free movies and a $200 gift card. I didn't feel like holding out of bothering to ask so I was fine with what I got. The threads on FBG have more details and the special phone number for the "Big Deal" . Key is you have to cancel and set a shutoff date.

Good luck!

Edited by Zooty
  • Like 1

Who has Sunday Ticket MAX - again - for free?? This guy. Was going to go all in and call their bluff. 1-800-DirecTV, followed voice prompts to cancel my service - was very polite & told the guy the time has come for me to cut the cord as most the programming my family watches is on Netflix /Hulu, downfall is I'm going to be missing out on live sports to witch I'm just going to get basic cable with my local cable company (Cox Communications). I told him all I want from them is the red zone channel offered at $49 for the season (different host) but I'm not required to buy the MAX package either. He told me the offers for the ticket this year have been slim pickins to which I told him after 13 years of DTV, it's time for me to hang it up. He asked me to hold, came back about 3 minutes later & told me it makes no sense to them to lose a 13 year customer over a 1-year subscription package, and gave it to me "complimentary" without even having me agree to another commitment with them.

Persistence paid off this year - it was my 4th time looking for it to where I was honestly calling to schedule a shutoff date and roll the dice for the big deal.

Kinda hard to kick a gift horse in the mouth when I told him only reason I'm leaving is football is too expensive. Offered it for free - why how could I contradict myself and say nah - I still wanna cancel. More bill credits woulda been nice but I already got $45 month off for the next 11 months (got that on my first attempt to get it for free).

Anyway - best of luck to everyone else. Persistence and professionalism is key.. Keep at it and they'll hook u up.

EDIT: Also got a one time $90 credit to offset the $15/month fee for 4K programming as there's only 2 channels right now.

Edited by Shorttynaz