[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you force Keepers?

HeresJohnny

League that I run has been progressively dipping into Keepers. Keep 1, the first year of the change... Keep 2, the next year... Keep 3, this year... Keep 4, next year. I have one or two owners that don't have 3 players that they want to keep this year. What's your experience? Are you in Keeper leagues where you must keep, or is there flexibility? Do I set a minimum? Would love some outside perspective...

In my league, you're stuck for three years with the player you draft in the fifth round. No dropping, no trading, he starts the next year on your roster. You walk into the draft with two keepers locked every year.

Owners enjoy this rule, it really changes the tone of that round. Do you go for the long in the tooth veteran who may have a great year left, but be stuck with him after? Do you roll the dice on a rookie?

Lately, tight ends have become popular choices in this round (Graham, Kelce, Vernon Davis to name a few). Some play it safe by jumping up into that round with a Carolina defense. Last year, a guy picked up Brady there.

The winner of the consolation bracket each year jumps to the front of this round. Guess who claimed the honor this year? :bag:

...and we have only one 'optional' keeper from the rest of the roster (no price/pick required).

Edited by CowboysDiehard

It depends what you lose for keeping them. Nothing? pick from round the were picked in the year prior? Progressive increase in rounds year to year?

Round drafted is the Penalty round. Drafted in the 9th last year? Lose your 9th round pick this year to keep him. No annual decay to keep round value... though that may change via vote eventually.

Round drafted is the Penalty round. Drafted in the 9th last year? Lose your 9th round pick this year to keep him. No annual decay to keep round value... though that may change via vote eventually.

if you lose the round they were drafted I would set no minimum number of keepers but have a max

We have 5, you must keep 5 and those are essentially the first 5 rounds of our draft. I can keep a player forever, there is no increasing cost. You cannot keep less than 5 and get extra early picks. But we have discussed that possibility, but it hasn't even gotten to a vote. (People resist change, any proposal to change is viewed as a move by the perosn behind it to gain some advantage.) Specifically I'd like to see a min and max, say at least 3, and up to 5. Those who keep only 3-4 get draft picks (in their usual slot) before the others, picking from all players not on a roster (so rookies as well as the non-keepers). .

Some teams don't have 5 keepers, others have 6 or more. The current rule does generate some trading, and some people are surprised at the trades. Rarely do we see a high pick traded, but if I can get a better player to keep by trading a 6/7 round pick, and the other player gets an extra pick its a win-win for us, though other owners cry "not fair" because they were too lazy to try trading.

I'll be one of those looking to acquire players this year as a couple of my prospects didn't pan out, and then Megatron retired knocking out one of my long time keepers.

I'm in 2 keeper leagues - each with different rules.

League 1:

5 keepers and you must keep 5.

This is the more fun league b/c requiring keepers generates a lot of trades with draft picks. I don't think it makes much sense to have forced keepers if you don't have draft pick trading.

This is always a lot of trading in this league - which to me, is a lot more fun.

League 2:

3 keepers, and you can keep anything from 0 to 3. If you keep 0, you draft in the first round in your slot; if you keep 1, you draft in the 2nd round in your slot; etc...

Because no one is forced to keep any players - the bad teams always throw everyone back and simply redraft the best available in the first 3 rounds.

I've been arguing that we should force the keepers and open up draft pick trading. Prior to last year, draft pick trading was not allowed. I won 1/2 the argument, as draft pick trading was opened up, but there were no trades of course, b/c no one was forced to keep anyone. The bad teams simply thru everyone back, and began redrafting.

I've been in both leagues for many years, but league 1 is a lot more fun b/c the rules encourage a lot of trading - and I like being able to move around to increase my advantage as I see it.

I'm in 2 keeper leagues - each with different rules.

League 1:

5 keepers and you must keep 5.

This is the more fun league b/c requiring keepers generates a lot of trades with draft picks. I don't think it makes much sense to have forced keepers if you don't have draft pick trading.

This is always a lot of trading in this league - which to me, is a lot more fun.

League 2:

3 keepers, and you can keep anything from 0 to 3. If you keep 0, you draft in the first round in your slot; if you keep 1, you draft in the 2nd round in your slot; etc...

Because no one is forced to keep any players - the bad teams always throw everyone back and simply redraft the best available in the first 3 rounds.

I've been arguing that we should force the keepers and open up draft pick trading. Prior to last year, draft pick trading was not allowed. I won 1/2 the argument, as draft pick trading was opened up, but there were no trades of course, b/c no one was forced to keep anyone. The bad teams simply thru everyone back, and began redrafting.

I've been in both leagues for many years, but league 1 is a lot more fun b/c the rules encourage a lot of trading - and I like being able to move around to increase my advantage as I see it.

The second scenario is my nightmare... The only reason i'm considering allowing less than the 3 Keep, is because they dont get a compensatory, pre-draft, snipe pick. That's why I went with a draft round penalty instead of the "first XX rounds are keepers". There is no value keeps in a league with that structure. In those leagues, I think you absolutely have to force keepers or risk welfare sniping in pre-rounds like you mentioned.

I don't thing that i run into that issue with a draft-round-penalty, keeper structure. If they only keep 2, they just dont lose XX round. As of now... the leagues that I run are starting to come around on draft pick trading... although I am the catalyst of those trades. With time, I think we get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!

I run an Auction League with two keepers. You must keep two every year with a three year max on eligibility.

4.2 Player Protection

Each Franchise will be required to keep two players from their prior year’s roster and carry them over to their upcoming season roster. The protected players can be made up of any two players on your roster, regardless of position.

Edited by slinger