[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kaepernick is a worthless P.O.S.

CowboysDiehard

A person can have respect for veterans and still realize that our government and people have done African Americans and Native Americans wrong for hundreds of years. It's a bit narcissistic to think that only veterans have made a sacrifice.

Michael, I am 40 and all the things that happened way before I was here on earth are not my fault(or anyone else's). When and why do I need to apologize or be sympathetic about things that happened during and prior to my grandfathers childhood??? Do I also need to apologize to the native Americans for something that OUR current culture didn't do as well? At some point you have to say that the wrongs have been corrected and move on....or keep bitching that life still isn't fair. I will probably take a beating on here for saying this, but some things need to be said eventually! I'm just tired of the bs! Now let's all sing kumbaya and get ready for football!
  • Like 3

Michael

You can call me Mike

all the things that happened way before I was here on earth are not my fault(or anyone else's).

You are not at fault. But some people do shoulder blame. Mostly a lot of white folk.

At some point you have to say that the wrongs have been corrected and move on....or keep bitching that life still isn't fair.

We're not even close to having corrected the wrongs of the past. A black kid growing up in a rough part of Chicago or New Orleans has a very difficult path. Serious oppression occurred as recently as the 1960's. You can't correct 300 years of oppression in 50 years. We're not close. And Colin Kaepernick didn't have a difficult path like most African Americans. He was raised by upper middle class folks from Wisconsin. But I respect him standing up for what he believes (and hopefully it wasn't just part of a ploy to get cut).

A lot of people have brought up veterans. Many of my family members have served in the armed forces, and to my knowledge, none of them served because they wanted to protect the anthem, or the flag - they wanted to protect this country and the freedoms we have here, including freedom of speech, expression, etc.

I don't agree with Kaep's decision to protest the way he did. I think there are more effective ways to tackle the issue of racial inequality in America, ways that won't be taken as disrespect to this country. But I'm glad to live in a nation where people can say/do provocative things without fear of being thrown in jail or executed. This freedom means there's a potential for people to express themselves in ways we don't agree with, and that's OK.

:usa:

• Like 5

Michael, I am 40 and all the things that happened way before I was here on earth are not my fault(or anyone else's). When and why do I need to apologize or be sympathetic about things that happened during and prior to my grandfathers childhood??? Do I also need to apologize to the native Americans for something that OUR current culture didn't do as well? At some point you have to say that the wrongs have been corrected and move on....or keep bitching that life still isn't fair. I will probably take a beating on here for saying this, but some things need to be said eventually! I'm just tired of the bs! Now let's all sing kumbaya and get ready for football!

Your views are respected and you shouldn't take a beating. But there is a concept call "unearned privilege." That unearned privilege is a result of American history. If you identify as a white heterosexual middle class male you are granted certain benefits just for being a part of that group. You didn't ask to be that way, but at the same time if you have an advantage that means someone else has a disadvantage, and when that advantaged is unearned....yeah, the people who are disadvantaged need to speak up. If you are a part of a privileged group, it will be very difficult to understand. If you are right handed, how can you understand the struggles of a left-handed person in America? You can't. But listening and trying to understand will take you very far.

Now can we get back to fantasy football?

Sorry I touched a nerve. I've always been sympathetic to people of color, women, and gay folk. Apparently, I need to be sympathetic also to white dudes because they also feel oppressed.

Why not??? And you didn't hit a nerve, I am just blunt. That is the only way I know to be. Good luck this year.

• Like 1

Your views are respected and you shouldn't take a beating. But there is a concept call "unearned privilege." That unearned privilege is a result of American history. If you identify as a white heterosexual middle class male you are granted certain benefits just for being a part of that group. You didn't ask to be that way, but at the same time if you have an advantage that means someone else has a disadvantage, and when that advantaged is unearned....yeah, the people who are disadvantaged need to speak up. If you are a part of a privileged group, it will be very difficult to understand. If you are right handed, how can you understand the struggles of a left-handed person in America? You can't. But listening and trying to understand will take you very far.

Not to derail the discussion, but almost everyone belongs to a less privileged group. The privileged are, almost by definition, a small group. Ugly people, poor people, fat people, dumb people... these are all strong disadvantages people have to deal with in life all of which (except being fat) are not something people have much control over. Is white privilege really that much better than pretty privilege or rich privilege? There certainly are disadvantages to being black and that sucks a lot; but I don't know if it's worse than any of the crappy cards that other people are dealt. I am not a huge fan of identify politics in general and don't know if it even serves the communities that they are meant to.

• Like 3

I realize this forum is as white as the North Pole on Christmas day. But out of curiosity, are there any African-American Huddlers? And personally, I'm not going to criticize any African American or any Native American for a lack of patriotism.

taking this in a very different direction, but I've long been curious what some of you look like - not that it holds any relevance to anything other than curiosity. Only person from these forums Ive seen pics of is Irish as we connected on FB a while back..
  • Like 1

Many good points here, huddlers. To me, the problem is a guy who forgets that over 650,000 men gave their lives generations ago to level the playing field for all Americans. The anthem and the flag represents them, and all who have sacrificed their lives since then. If you don't like the direction of the country, volunteer your time and treasure to your cause. Skip the cheap political stunts.

Not to derail the discussion, but almost everyone belongs to a less privileged group. The privileged are, almost by definition, a small group. Ugly people, poor people, fat people, dumb people... these are all strong disadvantages people have to deal with in life all of which (except being fat) are not something people have much control over. Is white privilege really that much better than pretty privilege or rich privilege? There certainly are disadvantages to being black and that sucks a lot; but I don't know if it's worse than any of the crappy cards that other people are dealt. I am not a huge fan of identify politics in general and don't know if it even serves the communities that they are meant to.

I won't get into too much detail, but yes certain privileges outweigh the other. It's all context specific, but in America's context there are groups at a distinct advantage. As a male, it took me a long time to really see the advantages I have in society compared to women. It doesn't make me feel bad for women, but it definitely made me realize that there needs to be more a more balanced playing field. If you are a heterosexual male, you can go out and hold hands with your partner with no one looking at you funny. Do the same thing as a homosexual and see the reaction. I'd recommend a quick google search on Tim Wise or Peggy Mcintosh.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/08/27/controversy-erupts-after-nfl-quarterback-converts-to-islam-and-refuses-to-stand-for-national-anthem/

During the off-season Colin Kaepernick converted to Islam. Colin Kaepernick is also engaged to Black Lives Matter activist and hip-hop radio personality DJ Nessa Diab. Black Lives Matter as an activist group is synonymous with promotion of authentic Islam.

According to NFL players who are friends with Kaepernick, Colin and NessA Diab are going to have a traditional Muslim wedding.

Yup. "He's an Islamic terrorist" has been one of the spicier hot takes of the day.

taking this in a very different direction, but I've long been curious what some of you look like - not that it holds any relevance to anything other than curiosity. Only person from these forums Ive seen pics of is Irish as we connected on FB a while back..

I look like my avatar. :brow:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/08/27/controversy-erupts-after-nfl-quarterback-converts-to-islam-and-refuses-to-stand-for-national-anthem/

During the off-season Colin Kaepernick converted to Islam. Colin Kaepernick is also engaged to Black Lives Matter activist and hip-hop radio personality DJ Nessa Diab. Black Lives Matter as an activist group is synonymous with promotion of authentic Islam.

According to NFL players who are friends with Kaepernick, Colin and NessA Diab are going to have a traditional Muslim wedding.

Did you post this? Seriously???!!?? Ethnocentrism is running rabid this evening.

I won't get into too much detail, but yes certain privileges outweigh the other. It's all context specific, but in America's context there are groups at a distinct advantage. As a male, it took me a long time to really see the advantages I have in society compared to women. It doesn't make me feel bad for women, but it definitely made me realize that there needs to be more a more balanced playing field. If you are a heterosexual male, you can go out and hold hands with your partner with no one looking at you funny. Do the same thing as a homosexual and see the reaction. I'd recommend a quick google search on Tim Wise or Peggy Mcintosh.

Yeah, I think for men vs. women it is trickier, there are many advantages and disadvantages for both sides. Maybe on average men have more advantages than women, but I'm not sure. The black versus white thing (there are very few, if any, areas where blacks have advantages over whites) is a better example. But, I think you could say the same for a really ugly person or certainly really really poor people... huge disadvantages.

I respect your opinion, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "unearned advantage" or "unearned privilege." I grew up poor (white), but I worked hard, and now my kids will have advantages I didn't have. How is that unearned? I earned that for them, and I guarantee I did not benefit from any "privilege." Black people weren't the only race that faced oppression in this country. What about Native Americans, Chinese, and Japanese? I don't see them continuing to blame society for what happened to them in the past. The percentage of Asians that get accepted into college is higher than that of any other race in this country. Do they benefit from "Asian privilege?" This whole idea of "race privilege" is a complete lie IMO. Maybe it existed long ago, but I just don't see it today. There are plenty of poor black kids that got a free education and now earn millions playing in the NFL. Blacks make up over 2/3 of the players in the NFL, but I never accused them of benefiting from "black privilege" or some "unearned advantage." Some of us do have advantages that others do not, but I strongly believe race has nothing to do with that.

Yeah, I think for men vs. women it is trickier, there are many advantages and disadvantages for both sides. Maybe on average men have more advantages than women, but I'm not sure. The black versus white thing (there are very few, if any, areas where blacks have advantages over whites) is a better example. But, I think you could say the same for a really ugly person or certainly really really poor people... huge disadvantages.

Race, class, and gender are the major demographics for disadvantage. But if you want to talk about looks. Which race or culture are beauty norms established on this in this country? So you will definitely see overlap.

I don't look like your avatar. 50 YO cracker here. B) Holy hell, that's tough to see. ​

Race, class, and gender are the major demographics for disadvantage. But if you want to talk about looks. Which race or culture are beauty norms established on this in this country? So you will definitely see overlap.

The gender thing is much more complicated: Women get female privilege in courts, custody, and the like.

As for race, if you control for SES, there is a much smaller effect of race. I'm much rather be a middle-class black boy than a lower class white boy. So I think class is really the issue personally and this race stuff is often a distraction to keep poor folks at each others throats rather than going after the real problem.

But to your point, there is some effects of race for sure. It is a drag that black people get the following disadvantage: because of racism, they have fewer of their own race in power historically (and probably even based on some current racism). Because of this, they have fewer friends who can recommend them for jobs and the like and this makes it harder for them. That is a huge bummer, but I don't know if it's that different from being really really poor.

• Like 1

I respect your opinion, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "unearned advantage" or "unearned privilege." I grew up poor (white), but I worked hard, and now my kids will have advantages I didn't have. How is that unearned? I earned that for them, and I guarantee I did not benefit from any "privilege." Black people weren't the only race that faced oppression in this country. What about Native Americans, Chinese, and Japanese? I don't see them continuing to blame society for what happened to them in the past. The percentage of Asians that get accepted into college is higher than that of any other race in this country. Do they benefit from "Asian privilege?" This whole idea of "race privilege" is a complete lie IMO. Maybe it existed long ago, but I just don't see it today. There are plenty of poor black kids that got a free education and now earn millions playing in the NFL. Blacks make up over 2/3 of the players in the NFL, but I never accused them of benefiting from "black privilege" or some "unearned advantage." Some of us do have advantages that others do not, but I strongly believe race has nothing to do with that.

I wouldn't expect someone who is privileged to understand. And your child's privilege will not be something they will truly understand or appreciate because YOU earned it, not them. You say you were raised poor! Did the rich have an advantage over you? You have the right to your opinion and that's the beauty of America. And your racial composition of the NFL has nothing to do with this. That's a bad example. Hockey is mostly white and no one is out there protesting.

And did I say black people were the only people oppressed? You might have implicit biases there. And yes, I agree 100% there are many groups who were oppressed, particularly white ethnics like the Irish and Italians. I've studied their history in-depth. And some of the stuff that happened to them is disgusting. And I will stand for their rights too if needed. If you want to get technical, there were only two minority groups that were made minority involuntarily...Native Americans and Blacks.