[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kaepernick is a worthless P.O.S.

CowboysDiehard

The gender thing is much more complicated: Women get female privilege in courts, custody, and the like.

As for race, if you control for SES, there is a much smaller effect of race. I'm much rather be a middle-class black boy than a lower class white boy. So I think class is really the issue personally and this race stuff is often a distraction to keep poor folks at each others throats rather than going after the real problem.

But to your point, there is some effects of race for sure. It is a drag that black people get the following disadvantage: because of racism, they have fewer of their own race in power historically (and probably even based on some current racism). Because of this, they have fewer friends who can recommend them for jobs and the like and this makes it harder for them. That is a huge bummer, but I don't know if it's that different from being really really poor.

A lot of people are posting their opinions and that's fine. A lot of people are posting from their own views and experiences, and that's fine also. But the truth of the matter is people don't listen to other people or try to understand other perspectives. We see things through our tunnel vision and tend to shun something that doesn't agree with our viewpoint. I changed when I was able to listen to others perspectives, and even experience them at times.

• Like 1

I wonder when I get to enjoy my white privilege, I've worked my ass off for everything I have, and after 50 years it doesn't look like I will be able to stop working my ass off any time soon. The implication that I didn't earn it, that it was given to me because I am white, is offensive.

There are still people who come to this country that can't speak the language without 2 nickles to rub together and somehow they are able to find success. How is it possible that foreign nationals like that can find success when natives that are not white cannot? Can it possibly be a difference in work ethic?

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 2

that's a pretty stupid thing to post . Seriously

With all that has gone on in American politics over the last 18 months, it should be obvious right now that a prominent faction of white people apparently feel oppressed. A certain billionaire does not get nominated without them.
  • Like 2

I wonder when I get to enjoy my white privilege, I've worked my ass off for everything I have, and after 50 years it doesn't look like I will be able to stop working my ass off any time soon. The implication that I didn't earn it, that it was given to me because I am white, is offensive.

There are still people who come to this country that can't speak the language without 2 nickles to rub together and somehow they are able to find success. How is it possible that foreign nationals like that can find success when natives that are not white cannot? Can it possibly be a difference in work ethic?

LOL. Vent on brotha! Spend some time with people who are more disadvantaged than you are and you will see your true privilege.

A lot of people are posting their opinions and that's fine. A lot of people are posting from their own views and experiences, and that's fine also. But the truth of the matter is people don't listen to other people or try to understand other perspectives. We see things through our tunnel vision and tend to shun something that doesn't agree with our viewpoint. I changed when I was able to listen to others perspectives, and even experience them at times.

Dude I like to listen to people's perspectives and I have been agreeing that I think blacks are disadvantaged. You are being an SJW and just trying to demonstrate how progressive you are. That's cool too.

I honestly think the privilege concept is unhelpful if the goal is to have more harmony between people. If the goal is the make white people angry, then it's a good word to use. I think most white people would agree there are disadvantages to being black. But when you call it white "privilege" I think that's kind of silly. Like I said, privilege is supposed to be a term reserved for a very small subset of the population. I guess you could say I have hearing privilege (I'm not deaf) and sighted privilege (I'm not blind) or Cis privilege (like 99% of the population, my gender identity and sex match). But I don't think calling those things privileges is really a helpful or accurate.

Again, it's much better to just say: hey look at the disadvantages that these groups have.

• Like 2

I am not a huge fan of identify politics in general and don't know if it even serves the communities that they are meant to.

One of the oldest tricks in the book used by those in power to remain in power. Divide us up and control us by pitting us against one another.

LOL. Vent on brotha! Spend some time with people who are more disadvantaged than you are and you will see your true privilege.

Bullmanure ... nobody is more disadvantaged than a foreigner that comes to this country, not knowing the language and without $10 to his name. Yet, SOMEHOW, they can succeed. It is an attitude. If you believe you are disadvantaged and believe you can't do anything about it then that is where you will be stuck. If on the other hand you believe you can better yourself, you will. For some it is just easier to declare their lack of success is because of their inherent disadvantages.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Dude I like to listen to people's perspectives and I have been agreeing that I think blacks are disadvantaged. You are being an SJW and just trying to demonstrate how progressive you are. That's cool too.

I honestly think the privilege concept is unhelpful if the goal is to have more harmony between people. If the goal is the make white people angry, then it's a good word to use. I think most white people would agree there are disadvantages to being black. But when you call it white "privilege" I think that's kind of silly. Like I said, privilege is supposed to be a term reserved for a very small subset of the population. I guess you could say I have hearing privilege (I'm not deaf) and sighted privilege (I'm not blind) or Cis privilege (like 99% of the population, my gender identity and sex match). But I don't think calling those things privileges is really a helpful or accurate.

Again, it's much better to just say: hey look at the disadvantages that these groups have.

The term disadvantaged was used for centuries via other synonyms.

LOL@SJW. I'm not trying to demonstrate anything. A conversation came up and it was very one-sided. And you if you are able-bodied you do have a privilege.I know I have a privileges and I don't feel guilty about it. But yes, I do try to make a difference with my privilege. But that's my choice.

One of the oldest tricks in the book used by those in power to remain in power. Divide us up and control us by pitting us against one another.

Yeah I made this point above... keep poor white people at poor black people's throats and vice versa. To quote Dylan:

"A South politician preaches to the poor white man

“You got more than the blacks, don’t complain.

You’re better than them, you been born with white skin,” they explain.

And the Negro’s name

Is used it is plain

For the politician’s gain

As he rises to fame

And the poor white remains

On the caboose of the train

But it ain’t him to blame

He’s only a pawn in their game"

The opposite happens now with people trying to stir up racial hatred the other way. It's just annoying overall.

• Like 1

Bullmanure ... nobody is more disadvantaged than a foreigner that comes to this country, not knowing the language and without $10 to his name. Yet, SOMEHOW, they can succeed. It is an attitude. If you believe you are disadvantaged and believe you can't do anything about it then that is where you will be stuck. If on the other hand you believe you can better yourself, you will. For some it is just easier to declare their lack of success is because of their inherent disadvantages.

If you feel I'm BSing, then I will let you be. You have the right to your opinion.

Yeah, people forgave Vick in 2011.

I was just trying to add some levity to all this seriousness...but you make a good point. Once Vick tore it up on the field, he did sort of get off the hook in the court of public opinion. Just goes to show how fickle the public (aka...us) can be.

I won't get into too much detail, but yes certain privileges outweigh the other. It's all context specific, but in America's context there are groups at a distinct advantage. As a male, it took me a long time to really see the advantages I have in society compared to women. It doesn't make me feel bad for women, but it definitely made me realize that there needs to be more a more balanced playing field. If you are a heterosexual male, you can go out and hold hands with your partner with no one looking at you funny. Do the same thing as a homosexual and see the reaction. I'd recommend a quick google search on Tim Wise or Peggy Mcintosh.

I have served in the military and been in the workforce for many years now, and I have had many woman bosses. Also, more women graduate from college then men. Is that because they have an advantage over men? Yes, women do earn on average less than men, but that is because they get pregnant and miss a significant amount work during their lives. Open homosexuality is still relatively new to our society. In time, nobody will give two homosexuals holding hands a second thought. Besides, who cares if people look at them funny? People look at all kinds of different people funny. That's life.

The term disadvantaged was used for centuries via other synonyms.

LOL@SJW. I'm not trying to demonstrate anything. A conversation came up and it was very one-sided. And you if you are able-bodied you do have a privilege.I know I have a privileges and I don't feel guilty about it. But yes, I do try to make a difference with my privilege. But that's my choice.

I agree it was a bit one sided and I am glad that you interjected something into this discussion, but I think you've been a bit intellectually dishonest in these arguments or at the very least patronizing.

As for the above, I'm saying practically I think it's unhelpful to use the word privilege. Fewer people will agree with that term and in some cases it makes things that shouldn't be thought of as privileges (I.e. not being harassed by the cops) as a privilege when they should be a right. I think it's a rhetorically bad strategy and also an inaccurate word--privilege is something that is supposed to apply to a small elite group--I don't think it's helpful to list my 10000000 privileges of not having the 10000000 rare diseases that I don't have.

I was just trying to add some levity to all this seriousness...but you make a good point. Once Vick tore it up on the field, he did sort of get off the hook in the court of public opinion. Just goes to show how fickle the public (aka...us) can be.

Yeah, Dave Chapelle made this point about Kobe--he was playing for his freedom on the court.

If you feel I'm BSing, then I will let you be. You have the right to your opinion.

The excuse-making that Grits describes transcends race, gender, religion, or creed. It is a part of the human condition. Everyone out there has some excuse or another for some shortcoming or another. It's just part of how we maintain our sanity. That doesn't make it right, as it is a huge hindrance to the progress and ultimately the survival of the human species, but damn if it will ever change (IMO).

I agree it was a bit one sided and I am glad that you interjected something into this discussion, but I think you've been a bit intellectually dishonest in these arguments or at the very least patronizing.

As for the above, I'm saying practically I think it's unhelpful to use the word privilege. Fewer people will agree with that term and in some cases it makes things that shouldn't be thought of as privileges (I.e. not being harassed by the cops) as a privilege when they should be a right. I think it's a rhetorically bad strategy and also an inaccurate word--privilege is something that is supposed to apply to a small elite group--I don't think it's helpful to list my 10000000 privileges of not having the 10000000 rare diseases that I don't have.

Patronizing? I have not looked down or spoken down to anyone in this thread. Dope man made a strong statement and yes after a little reluctance I chimed in.

Also don't forget the child abuser. People forgot that fast.

Patronizing? I have not looked down or spoken down to anyone in this thread. Dope man made a strong statement and yes after a little reluctance I chimed in.

You don't see the last two sentences there as vaguely patronizing? Asserting that you are open minded and others (myself included) are just seeing though tunnel vision because we don't have your brilliant insights to say that racism and sexism are bad?

Puppies are also good. I know it's controversial, but I am gonna say it.

You don't see the last two sentences there as vaguely patronizing? Asserting that you are open minded and others (myself included) are just seeing though tunnel vision because we don't have your brilliant insights to say that racism and sexism are bad?

Puppies are also good. I know it's controversial, but I am gonna say it.

I clearly said "we see through tunnel vision." And I was talking about society in general, including myself. And yes, I have no problem saying that my views changed over time after interactions and altercations.