[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Charles not the featured back in KC?

bigmike4969

KC homers...any insight to this? Sounds like it could be a RBBC there. Wondering if this drops his draft value somewhat.

Per Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4617/jamaal-charles

ESPN Chiefs reporter Adam Teicher reports Jamaal Charles "hasn’t regained the role -- full-time featured back -- he had before last season’s torn ACL."
Teicher reports Spencer Ware is handling most of Kansas City's first-team running back reps in practice. Specifically, Teicher wrote that Ware "generally gets a lot of the starter’s snaps in practice. Charcandrick West gets some. Sometimes there are a few left for Charles, too." On Tuesday, coach Andy Reid said Tamba Hali (knee) is "a little further along than what Jamaal is right now," in their respective recoveries. At this point, it's unclear what Charles' role will be in Week 1 against the Chargers. An early-year RBBC appears likely. Due to their backfield depth, Teicher suggests the Chiefs "can afford to take the longer view with Charles."
Edited by bigmike4969

Jamaal Charles knows Andy Reid's system. He doesn't need the practice. My one worry is that Andy Reid is playing for a Super Bowl win. Reid will not be fired regardless of what happens this year. So he has the luxury of playing Charles part time to ensure he is healthy for the playoffs. And Charles is such a classy guy that he won't complain about not being "the guy".

• Like 3

He's been off the PUP list for all of 2 weeks, I believe. No reason to rush him back when they have Ware/West. I think he'll still get "most" of the carries when healthy, but will certainly be on a pitch count. Goal will be to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

• Like 2

Jamaal Charles knows Andy Reid's system. He doesn't need the practice. My one worry is that Andy Reid is playing for a Super Bowl win. Reid will not be fired regardless of what happens this year. So he has the luxury of playing Charles part time to ensure he is healthy for the playoffs. And Charles is such a classy guy that he won't complain about not being "the guy".

He's been off the PUP list for all of 2 weeks, I believe. No reason to rush him back when they have Ware/West. I think he'll still get "most" of the carries when healthy, but will certainly be on a pitch count. Goal will be to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

I would add that he is one the most efficient backs in NFL history, he will maximize every touch, and own that backfield again. He needs to shake off the rust. I'm happy they're taking it slow and not rushing it.

• Like 1

I would add that he is one the most efficient backs in NFL history, he will maximize every touch, and own that backfield again. He needs to shake off the rust. I'm happy they're taking it slow and not rushing it.

It is incredible that he has played in the league for 8 years and never averaged below 5.0 ypc in a season.

• Like 1

I drafted Charles 1st overall with the 14th pick. Someone snagged Ware but I feel like west is the natural backup, who I got later. I hope this total BS.

You are wrong on both counts. No way Charles should gave been the #1 pick, AND Ware is definitely the first guy after Charles to get the ball.

I actually see the Chiefs going 50/50 with Charles and Ware by the time this is all said and done.

someone is our league drafted Charles with 1.1 :huh: Mind you that all teams have 2 offense & 2 defense keepers so everyone has a solid core to start with. So many of the top players were kept. But still.....I would have went different with 1.1 other than Charles. I won the SB last year so I picked 10th. I kept J.Jones ATL WR and Olsen CAR TE. My best RB was Forsett and I was not going to keep him.

Our 1st round:

1. Charles, Jamaal KCC RB
2. Johnson, David ARI RB
3. Freeman, Devonta ATL RB
4. Elliott, Ezekiel DAL RB ®
5. Green, A.J. CIN WR
6. Cooks, Brandin NOS WR
7. Nelson, Jordy GBP WR
8. Marshall, Brandon NYJ WR
9. Miller, Lamar HOU RB
10. Jeffery, Alshon CHI WR

Some owners are believing that Charles will bounce back like his first injury recover and have another stellar year. While it is possible, the chances are less due to same type of injury and his age. Certainly not worth a 1.1 pick, even in my keeper league.

I reckon Charles will still get almost all of the 3rd down / passing work. Judging off his 2014 season, where he only had 205 rushing attempts, he gained 1039 rushing yds, 9 TDs, plus 40 rec. for 291 yds & 5 TDs. 205 attempts is only 12.8 per game, so even if Charles and Ware split carries, and Charles gets like 12-15 per game with Ware getting 8-10, I would think he still sees 200+ carries, still is good for 1000 yards, maybe a bit less if he misses time or loses even more touches. But I just don't see him falling below 800-900 rushing yards.

So say he gets 900-1000 rushing yards, 5-8 TDs, 40 rec for about 300 yards and 2-5 TDs, you're still looking at a floor of about 200 fantasy points in ppr. And that's a pretty conservative floor imo. I think a reasonable expectation would be something like 1100-8, and 40-300-5, netting about 260 points in ppr which should be top 5 for RBs.

I'd guess they signed West to form an RBBC with Ware, taking over the Charles role when he moves on. I think 2017 will be the year he sees a real significant drop off in production as his contact ends after that season.

Edited by pun

I think JC Superstar is a pretty strong week 6ish trade target once his owner gets frustrated with his up and down usage.

• Like 1

Got ware but went ahead and snagged west for a bit just in case.

Did the same thing. This my 4th year with Charles in keeper league. Got burned by stashing Davis as cuff last year. Forewent getting a QB2 this year to get both Ware and West until I see how things play out. Hoping its won't be a true rbbc as that will make this a terrible decision.

Andy Reid intimating today that Charles may not be ready for week one. And if he is ready, he will more than likely not get a ton of touches.

I think, personally, that he is not really close to being able to carry a load. If you have not drafted yet, I would not take him in the first 6 or 7 rounds.

If you already drafted him in the first or second, I think you may be in trouble with him.

• Like 1

Picked up Ware in rd 13 of a 3 player keeper league. I don't have Charles, I think I got a real bargin.

You stole him.

Ware is going to have a great year. Honestly, he should be a 2nd or 3rd round guy. I think the Chiefs offense is flying under the radar big time leading up to the season. Their O-line is looking pretty solid.

• Like 1

Shhh, a lot of people weren't paying attention to Ware until recently. Charles name recognition goes a long way... and for good reason. He's a stud.

But for the sake of comparison in 2015 YPC:

Ware 5.6

Charles 5.1

West 4.0

PFF article from 2 months ago: "Fantasy Stat of the Day: In 2015, Spencer Ware put up 0.70 fantasy points per opportunity; Charcandrick West offered only 0.33. Among all running backs with more than 70 carries, Ware’s number was the best in the league. "

The team did pretty well without Charles in rushing production and definitely in win totals (1-4 with him, 10-1 without him).

The team was 6th most rushing yards in the league and tied for 3rd most YPC at 4.7, both marks are better than the team was in 2014 (10th best rushing offense and 4.6 YPC respectively). The team was "better" at rushing without the stud RB for most of the year. And imagine if they would have turned to Ware earlier.

Ware has been working on his receiving all off-season. Another reason for hope of a decent season.

I have my fingers crossed. Hope he does well, but keeping my expectations in check. It will still be a RBBC.