[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Value TEs Available Late or via WW?

the outlaw

My plan of grabbing Jordan Reed with the #7 pick (yes, my Kool-Aid is homer-strong!) was dashed when he was designated a keeper (Gronk was the only other TE selected as a keeper). So, not wanting to use a high round pick on Olsen, I waited, and waited, and waited, finally taking "Orange Julius" Thomas in the 11th...

I'm not real high on that pick, so wondering what trends everyone else is seeing this year at TE in terms of either late-round or undrafted value? I was kind of spoiled last year having the luxury of both Olsen and Eifert, but this year looks like a struggle unless I can find a hidden gem somewhere out there...

I'm personally high on Jared Cook this year. I just think the Green Bay's offense to going to come back this year, and Cook will take the place of James Jones as a big redzone target.

Other guys I would consider are Virgil Green who has looked great during preseason, and Vance McDonald. I havn't watched much of McDonald, but he is a highly touted sleeper by some fantasy analysts as he has the build of a Travis Kelce like player.

• Like 1

Early TE is a worse waste of resources than early QB. There are always TE's coming off the WW to be low end TE1's. My late round shots at this for 2016 include:

Will Tye

Vance McD

Jimmy Graham

Ebron

ASJ

Zach Miller

If you want to go a little earlier at the position:

Dwayne Allen

Teal Julius

Ertz

I picked up Martellus in the 10th in a PPR league (12 teamer). Pretty happy with that. Both leagues so far took a flier on Walford in the 16th and 18th round.

Won't be doing that again, however. The next two drafts have very shallow benches. No room for two QBs or TEs. One of the two lumps TE/WR together.

Edited by CowboysDiehard

I picked up Martellus in the 10th in a PPR league (12 teamer). Pretty happy with that. Both leagues so far took a flier on Walford in the 16th and 18th round.

Won't be doing that again, however. The next two drafts have very shallow benches. No room for two QBs or TEs. One of the two lumps TE/WR together.

On a short bench, I'd just use my very last pick to get my TE and base it almost entirely on the week 1 matchup.

I do like Cook as well, but he was drafted...I'll have to look into Green and McDonald, though.

Anybody know anything about Trey Burton in Philly?

Burton is the 3rd TE in Philly. He may have a decent game here and there but not really an option

Guys you need to watch Tyler Higbee for the Rams. They do have better WR options this year (Pharaoh Cooper is going to be a nice PPR option eventually) but they are all still very raw. Britt and Austin are just not high-target types of WRs. Lance Kendricks is a vet who is really "just a guy". Higbee was on par talent wise with the #1 TE in this class Hunter Henry (or is it Henry Hunter?) but just has a ten cent head and a pending legal issue. Higbee will be catching passes from a rookie probably by mid-season and even if he isn't, Keenum will look his way too. If he starts the season off hot I would pounce on him.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

Jordan Cameron should take off in Gase's offense but news from everywhere is saying he's struggling, which stinks because he's in arguably the best situation. One that intrigues me as well is Vance McDonald. You can literally get him with the last or second to last pick in the draft. Chip Kelly likes to incorporate TE's in his offense so that could be a nifty pick for the price. I've been able to get Ebron late too. He's banged up a bit but after Tate and Jones get their targets, I think there's some meat on the bone for Ebron if he can stay healthy. I was late to draft TE's in my leagues, so it's a position I'll be watching closely. I'm hoping for another Barnidge waiver like gem...

Jordan Cameron should take off in Gase's offense but news from everywhere is saying he's struggling, which stinks because he's in arguably the best situation. One that intrigues me as well is Vance McDonald. You can literally get him with the last or second to last pick in the draft. Chip Kelly likes to incorporate TE's in his offense so that could be a nifty pick for the price. I've been able to get Ebron late too. He's banged up a bit but after Tate and Jones get their targets, I think there's some meat on the bone for Ebron if he can stay healthy. I was late to draft TE's in my leagues, so it's a position I'll be watching closely. I'm hoping for another Barnidge waiver like gem...

Gah, I hadn't read that about Cameron. I knew he was a guy I wanted to target based on the Gase factor and it's still just the preseason so things can change in a hurry.... but still, would rather the news be more favorable.

I still like Cameron's situation, and he has proven the ability to be leaned on as an offensive weapon before. I think it's worth seeing how the Dolphin TE situation looks the first week or two, as Dion Sims isn't a slouch if Gase decides to demote Cameron.

I also think that Dwayne Allen could be a nice later round grab.

Seems to be a bunch of TE's that can be had in the later rounds this year.... A few off the top of my head:

Jesse James PIT - Heath Miller retired, and a lot of people were high on Green a few months ago as the obvious replacement, at least in terms of a pass-catching TE. Now Green is on IR, so James moves into that role by default. Will he be a TE1? Maybe not, but he might be a serviceable option in deeper leagues, at least as a bye-week filler or backup. Upside is he becomes a more athletic version of Miller in one of the most explosive passing offenses in the league.

Vance McDonald SF - Has been mentioned by others, so I won't beat a dead horse. But, he has some definite upside on a team with minimal receiving weapons.

Will Tye NYG - Liked what he did last year in limited time. Donnell isn't consistent, and if Tye continues to get playing time, I think he can be a low TE1, or at least a very good TE2.

Zach Miller CHI - With Bennett gone, I think he'll be decent, like he was last year when given the chance. I've seen him drafted as a late TE1, but I've also seen him slip pretty far down the TE2 ranks. If he's there, I'd take him with no questions asked.

Jared Cook GB - Was under the radar weeks/month ago. Not any longer (became a popular sleeper, which means he's no longer a sleeper). Still might be worth grabbing, particularly in TE-heavy scoring leagues.

Kyle Rudolph MIN - I've seen him slip REALLY late in some drafts. The question is whether he'll ever truly live up to his potential. If he does, he's worth more than his ADP. If not, his ADP is probably justified.

Clive Walford OAK - He's got a very good chance of becoming the 3rd option in a very productive passing offense. You could do far worse, in terms of a TE2.

Jordan Cameron MIA - Another guy who hasn't lived up to expectations, or even close. But, new offense makes him an intriguing option, at the very least. I wouldn't count on him as my TE1, but he's got some upside as a TE2.

Jacob Tamme ATL - Should see a decent amount of targets in an offense that will likely be playing from behind more often than not.

Virgil Green DEN - Ceiling might be limited, but he's the "clear" starter, for what it's worth.

Deeper Sleepers: Cameron Brate TB, Maxx Williams BAL, Tyler Higbee LA, Hunter Henry SD.

• Like 1