[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BRADFORD traded to minny

vegastaco39

My first thought after literally hearing this is..."WTF".. There is NO way Spielman would have willingly given those picks up without being TOLD to do so by probably the Wilf's. TOO MANY picks for the quality of QB he is.

right?! doesnt seem like a spielman thing to do...maybe with the new stadium, a good defense, and aps career winding down they wanted to take a shot

but i have to agree....there were probably some cheaper targets to pursue.......maybe also they wanted to get a guy in with the team ASAP instead of haggling and waiting

• Like 1

a 1st and a 4th for this piece of garbage QB, who can never even stay healthy? He stinks even when he is healthy.

Bye bye Rick Spielman. Get your resume ready for a job search in 2017.

A complete panic move and arse-raping by Philly on Minnesota. Eagles fans have to be tickled pink.

Why the Eagles would ever part with a 1st rounder for Bradford I'll never understand, but the fact that they also gave up a 2018 4th rounder is completely insane. Of course they Eagles would also have parted with him for just the 1st rounder.

i agree that they over-spent, but MN fans should be happy that their season isn't lost

I completely disagree. Minnesota's season is just at lost with Bradford as it is with Shaun Hill or even (the really bad word)in Johnny Manziel for that matter.

• Like 1

No kidding. They could have paid a lot less for a lot more imo. They could have probably worked 2nd day draft picks for guys like McCown or Glennon (maybe). I was secretly hoping they'd work some magic to get McCarron since Zim has some relationships with Cinci...I'm still in stunned mode over the amount they gave...makes me a little sick.

There's no way the Bengals were going to part with McCarron. They're likely a playoff team and they wouldn't risk giving a QB that has shown he can step in and not really miss a beat if their starter went out.

Quarterbacks don't grow on trees. You can't just plug in any quarterback like you can a running back. Sam Bradford is probably the 25th best quarterback in the NFL. That has value. He doesn't have value in fantasy football. But he does have value in the real game. We have seen general managers value him repeatedly over the last couple of years.

Guess the Vikes are truly all in.

This.

they may think they are. Stud RB and excellent D

And this. I agree that they overpaid (and the thought of giving up the 1st makes me ill), but this is a clear sign that the Vikings' front office feels that they are within their window of opportunity to win. AP's window is shrinking, and elite defenses don't last forever. And they ARE elite on defense.

Bottom line.... As bad as Bradford might be, he's younger and much more mobile than Hill, with a better arm. Hill is terrible. Looks like a 40YO beer league flag football QB, not an NFL QB. At the very least, acquiring Bradford simply gives them another option. A very expensive option, but I guess the thinking is simply that two options is better than one.

The other thing that people are forgetting is that Teddy wasn't great last year. He was a very efficient game manager that is more mobile than Shawn Hill. With the right play calling, I'm sure they think Bradford can be something similar. Better arm than Hill, more mobile, and limit the risky throws downfield (like they did with Teddy last year).

It's too early to say how this will all work out, but as a lifelong Vikes fan, I'm intrigued. They had to do SOMETHING. It was an aggressive move, and many will call it desperate, but I'd rather see that type of desperation than see them waste their time with some of the other names that were being thrown around.

Quarterbacks don't grow on trees. You can't just plug in any quarterback like you can a running back. Sam Bradford is probably the 25th best quarterback in the NFL. That has value. He doesn't have value in fantasy football. But he does have value in the real game. We have seen general managers value him repeatedly over the last couple of years.

Agreed. Demand drastically outweighs supply at the QB position in the NFL. No matter what they were going to get, they were going to overpay somewhat. Bradford is one of the top 25-30 QB's in the league. A low-end starter. I'd rather pay a 1st for that than a 2nd or 3rd for a backup. They already have backup in Hill.

This trade makes me think Bridgewater is not coming back for two years, if then. The Vikings have two years of Bradford and if he plays up to his potential, they sign him long term. I think this trade is as much a bet on the future as it is the present.

Edited by Tripleshot

The NFL isn't fantasy football. Teams don't give up a starting caliber quarterback for nothing. You don't enter a season without a quality backup let alone a quarterback you can live with to lead your team. There are not enough franchise quarterbacks to go around to begin with.

• Like 1

This.

And the Vikings had no leverage. None. Zero. Everybody knew they were desperate for qb help, so any trade they pulled off would be lopsided.

Hope this doesn't ding Mathews' value too much. If I had known the Bradford trade was going to happen, I'm not sure I would have drafted Mathews.

• Like 1

Good posts here. Yeah, Bradford has played like crap but I think we are over-inflating the crap based on fantasy.

And agree with the thought that Teddy may need more than a year to recover. He may never be the same.

It's not like he was good anyway TBH. If a good QB dropped to them in the draft I wouldn't hesitate to take them, even before the injury.

• Like 1

Welp, so much for the good posts.

so you think Bridgewater was worth building around? To me he is an average QB in the Alex Smith mold. He's not the type of player where I wouldn't try to replace him if the opportunity arose.

• Like 2