[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USC WR Williams ineligible

Kansas State 2000

That sucks - and I agree with Coach Carrolls' assessment. They weren't going to let him back in anyway - so why did they make him and USC wait so many weeks for the decision to come, and then release it just before the team got on the plane for DC?

Whatever - good thing Coach got the team ready to go on without him, but I feel really bad for Mike - nothing to do until next Spring's NFL draft...

Although I am not a huge fan of the NCAA, I have to disagree with all the bashing going on here for a few reasons:

1. "League spokesman Greg Aiello . . . said Williams was informed before making his decision to go pro that if the NFL prevailed in court, he would not be eligible for this year's draft." Why did he hire an agent? Why did he accept more than $100,000 from him knowing the ruling could go the other way?

2. I heard in an interview with a California reporter that all of the money was NOT accounted for.

3. He dropped out of school. Why not stick it out until the ruling was made? Not only did he higher an agent, take $$$, but he also was academically ineligible.

Poor planning/advisors is what is costing this guy a year in the NFL. Not the NCAA.

Why did he hire an agent? Why did he accept more than $100,000 from him knowing the ruling could go the other way?

He dropped out of school. Why not stick it out until the ruling was made? Not only did he higher an agent, take $$$, but he also was academically ineligible.

Poor planning/advisors is what is costing this guy a year in the NFL. Not the NCAA.

369799[/snapback]

I highlight the areas in which I agree - I'm still pissed at Mike for making the wrong decision based on advice from a money-hungry agent, but the NCAA folks are not blameless here. The team will be just fine, but I feel sorry for Mike and his family. Let's consider "The Tale of Two Williams". This sucks big time, and NOT because I'm a Trojan. IMHO, this makes the NCAA idiots look plain silly:

1) They deny MikeW. the chance to play this year despite him doing everything they asked him to do - sever agent ties, give back money, (although wisely putting some of it in a holding account in case they ruled against him,) get back in school and pass his summer classes, document all the money stuff, etc. Because of the 6 units in the spring rule, they were NEVER going to let him back in, but wanted to make it look like they were seriously contemplating it - but then blew that cover by giving the decision in less than 24 hours after receiving the final documentation - BS.

2) Meanwhile, down in Miami, they give the Canes the greenlight on Willie Williams, a new phenom ("the next Ray Lewis" - in more ways than one!) recruit with over 10 felony or misdemeanor hits on his record at the tender age of 19 (or 20?) Including some indiscretions during the recruiting trip.

But hey, they have the proud NCAA standards to uphold, which have the Board of Regents willing to DIE before allowing a poor student athlete the chance to make some money, but have no rules against convicted felons playing and earning big money for their schools. Yes, they might have kept him out of a few games, but they did not pull his scholarship like they did to MikeW.

Which one looks worse from the outside on a national, moral viewpoint? Nice job, Chers, nice job.....

Forgot to add: if Herschel Dennis really had something to do with that sex assualt, then he should do time and not come back to the team, at least for the season - if not forever. Same with Kobe's case.

My Homerism has some limits - which is why the NCAA's stand with "The Miami Williams" is so confusing....