[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't take a QB early they said...

gilthorp

well you are smarter than I am. I like taking them early and getting a no brain starter and not having to mix and match if I don't have to. It is just less stressful for me personally, which was my point.

ETA: I drafted 3 of them yesterday and waited, and made the wrong decision today. That's all.

:shrug: Was there ever a doubt that this is true? :D

In any case...what you say is usually true of whatever players you draft early. My point is that every draft is different and I don't like to try and force a strategy on one...except to wait until round 4-5 to start taking risks if I can.

*imply... you are worried that he did not infer what you intended to imply.

Michael Scott: Well, Toby, if by me, you are inferring that I have B.O., then I would say that that is a very poor choice of words.

Creed: Michael, he wasn't inferring, he was implying. You were inferring.

Michael Scott: Was I, Creed? Okay, well, you know what I am implying is that when we're on an elevator together, I should maybe take the stairs. Beause talk about stank. Not that I would ever say something like that in public, and I never have, and I never will. I just think it's something that we should be aware of, okay? Now that we've learned this, let's continue. See, this is good. We're learning and we're figuring some stuff out.

Edited by michaelredd9

5th has always seem to been a sweet spot for me. Still a quality one ...the last several years anyways.

Me as well. The earliest I've ever drafted a QB was the 3rd round and it saved me in many games. This was when P.Manning went off (including that 7 TD first game of the season or whatever that was). This year I was able to take Brees in the 5th. Definitely has paid off considering I was able to to draft the 2 RBs I wanted in rounds 1 and 2.

I typically waited a bit and got Derek Carr all over the place

This x1000.

Not particularly a huge advocate on waiting for a QB in general, but in both my Money leagues I waited... and I managed to snag Carr in both, got Eli and Bortles as well. And these were late picks I got these guys at. Dunno what the OP is doing, must be waiting til the last rounds to draft a QB lmao. Last 5 picks don't mean much anyway, might as well grab a QB in the 6th, 7th or 8th and you won't have any problems finding a good one.

Only philosophy I stand by when it comes to drafting is going back to back WR with the first two picks. Other than that, I always draft best available. If Cam newton was sitting there in the 4th I would've grabbed him, maybe even the 3rd depending on the RBs available. But most people reach for those types of players. They draft them too early and screw themselves out at positions with a bigger point differential when it comes to talent tiers. The drop off between the top 5 QBs to the next 10 is a lot smaller than the top 5 WRs or RBs to the next 10.

Edited by Inziladun

Michael Scott: Well, Toby, if by me, you are inferring that I have B.O., then I would say that that is a very poor choice of words.

Creed: Michael, he wasn't inferring, he was implying. You were inferring.

Michael Scott: Was I, Creed? Okay, well, you know what I am implying is that when we're on an elevator together, I should maybe take the stairs. Beause talk about stank. Not that I would ever say something like that in public, and I never have, and I never will. I just think it's something that we should be aware of, okay? Now that we've learned this, let's continue. See, this is good. We're learning and we're figuring some stuff out.

I was thinking about this reference when I made mine.

I think the point is to take a guy that you feel strongly enough about to start no matter what. I totally get where you're coming from, Gil. It's so nice to take a QB early enough that you can just plug them in without thinking. This year there were quite a few QBs that could be had in the later rounds that I felt that way about, and I got Derek Carr in the 9th as one of the last ones. I had him as the 6th best QB, but he ended up being the 11th one drafted. If you can find a guy like that, then you get the best of both worlds.

I usually take QB early and it's still a gamble. In my 2 leagues last year, I had Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck. They both sucked.

This year, I waited till later to get my QB. I targeted Kirk Cousins which I was able to obtain like in round 7. For that league, my starting lineup is...

QB--Kirk Cousins (Prescott)

RB--Spencer Ware (I got Jamaal Charles stashed)

RB--Doug Martin (Rashad Jennings)

WR--Antonio Brown

WR--Amari Cooper

TE--Zach Ertz

RB/WR--Brandon Marshall (Josh Gordon is the backup)

Kicker--Seattle guy

Defense--Seattle D (Got Denver D on the bench)

I like my team. Just need Cousins to get 300 yards and hopefully some TDs. Today, he got the 300 which gives me 10 bonus points. No TDs which sucks.

Second highest scoring team in that league.

What do you guys think about qb's being one of your keepers? I'm playing a keeper league for the first time, and the previous years roster left a lot to be desired. I kept Luck and Antonio Brown.

If they're MVP material then by all means. I'd think about keeping a Cam but probably not a Cousins because you can always get him later...that type of scenario...

In my main local, all position players, including QB get bonus points on an increasing scale for multiple TDs each week (e.g., 6 pts for 1st, 8 pts for 2nd, 10 pts for 3rd, and finally capped at 12 pts for 4th - infinity - I know crazy scoring system, but i didn't come up with it), so you're darned straight I'm either taking an elite QB early, or keeping him if already on my prior season roster...I actually made the mistake of throwing ARod back into the draft pool a few years ago, but was fortunate enough to re-acquire him via trade last season when he was having an "off" season and the other owner also had Brady, who was lighting it up in all of his Deflategate vengeance...anyway, I guarantee an elite QB has a better chance of consistently having multiple TD games than any other position player...

What do you guys think about qb's being one of your keepers? I'm playing a keeper league for the first time, and the previous years roster left a lot to be desired. I kept Luck and Antonio Brown.

Depends a lot on how many keepers, I know most leagues keep 2-3, but we keep 5 (start 9) so more like a dynasty (and no contracts or escalating cost to keep them). So once you have a decent QB and are happy you tend to keep them (along with usually 2RB/2WR, sometimes 3 of one of those, or the stud TE).

Virtually all teams keep a QB, some are top notch some are not. I kept Eli, probably would have kept JStew if not Eli. One guy kept Tyrod Taylor, didn't get a chance to see who else he had. We usually have 1-2 owners who don't keep a QB and they can usually wait a few rounds before they have to grab one.

I typically waited a bit and got Derek Carr all over the place

Targeted him and got him in two drafts and just missed in another where I had to settle on Taylor and Ostweller. Yuk.