[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barndige, what are we to think?

ImNotSoIgnorant

Reason for optomism via Mat Harrison on Twitter:

In Josh McCowns 8 starts last season Gary Barnidge recorded 46-641-6. With all other QBs in 8 games he tallied 33-402-2.

per game stats

with McCown 6-80-0.75

with others 4-50-.25

While that is significant it is not the difference between stud and dud. The biggest difference is TDs. McCown was arguably better than the Browns other QBs last year. Not sure I saw enough of RG3 in this system with these players to say the same about McCown being much better than him.

He was simply the beneficiary last year of few other weapons on the Browns. McCown may target him more than RG3 would. If people want to bump Barnidge to top 5 or 10 TE status that is on them, I'd caution against that once more.

I wouldn't wig out after Week 1 and micromanage yourself out of a serviceable TE

Some dolt on XM Radio - forget which channel/show - said that after Week 1 is the most important waiver wire week. So untrue. You will just add the likes of Kevin Ogletrees who'll do nothing the rest of the season.

The right move, at least in my opinion, is to wait until after Week 3. If a guy comes out and has a huge Week 1, I want to watch him perform in Week 2. If he looks outstanding again, I may bite. But more than likely I'm waiting until after Week 3. If I whiff on getting him, I have to take solace in knowing that this is when a lot of impatient owners start dropping potential studs. I always put backup bids in on guys that owners are making mistakes on dropping.

• Like 1

per game stats

with McCown 6-80-0.75

with others 4-50-.25

While that is significant it is not the difference between stud and dud. The biggest difference is TDs. McCown was arguably better than the Browns other QBs last year. Not sure I saw enough of RG3 in this system with these players to say the same about McCown being much better than him.

He was simply the beneficiary last year of few other weapons on the Browns. McCown may target him more than RG3 would. If people want to bump Barnidge to top 5 or 10 TE status that is on them, I'd caution against that once more.

Wut. That's an 8 PPG difference. DIFFERENCE. Yes, that's stud.

Some dolt on XM Radio - forget which channel/show - said that after Week 1 is the most important waiver wire week. So untrue. You will just add the likes of Kevin Ogletrees who'll do nothing the rest of the season.

The right move, at least in my opinion, is to wait until after Week 3. If a guy comes out and has a huge Week 1, I want to watch him perform in Week 2. If he looks outstanding again, I may bite. But more than likely I'm waiting until after Week 3. If I whiff on getting him, I have to take solace in knowing that this is when a lot of impatient owners start dropping potential studs. I always put backup bids in on guys that owners are making mistakes on dropping.

Players who blossom in a season will often emerge in week one. The team knows they are playing well in the preseason and will feature them week one. Defenses will often be caught unawares. Also, if a player plays well in the first 3 weeks, he isn't going to be available after week 3. I think you need to pounce on the receivers that get 6+ catches in week one and hope for the best. It is true that most will not pan out. And I wouldn't break the bank on a week one wonder if you use bidding for free agents.

Edited by michaelredd9

Wut. That's an 8 PPG difference. DIFFERENCE. Yes, that's stud.

The point PPG difference depends on your league scoring. I play in one league, no PPR, rush/recv yards 1pt/10.

So those stat lines become

with McCown 6-80-0.75 = 8PPG, + 3TDs every 4 - 12.5

with others 4-50-.25 = 5PPG + 1 TD every 4 = 6.5

So 6 points a game for my league, a bit more than I thought at first glance.

I simply don't think Barnidge is going to reproduce any stats similar to last year, no matter who the QB is. Its a gut feeling, in large part based on his coming out of nowhere to have one great year on a crappy team that had few other weapons on offense. Combined with more weapons on offense (Coleman, Gordon, Pryor) that will eat into his targets. And an overall feeling that this team will be really bad, not even the offense that had retooling and new weapons will be very good.

You guys want to treat him like a stud now because RG3 is out, go for it but don't say you haven't been warned.

• 2 weeks later...

from an article on Cleveland.com

After Week 1, you had to wonder when – and if – Gary Barnidge would emerge. Jackson's stops in Oakland and Cincinnati featured offenses with dynamic tight ends who were among team leaders in receptions and yards. Barnidge had just two targets and 0 catches against the Eagles.

But he has had 11 targets for nine catches (103 yards), plus a two-point conversion catch, the last two weeks. While Barnidge has often been a safety valve, he has also been a target on quarterback rollouts, allowing him to catch on the move for big gains.