[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pro Football Focus - Carson Wentz the best QB in the league.

Papa Deuce

Now, as an Eagles fan, I am loving Wentz, so far.......but numbers can lie, and I wouldn't have Wentz in the top 10...... but here you go...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Pro-Football-Focus-ranks-Carson-Wentz-the-best-QB-in-the-league.html

As an aside, though, I was on CBS and the 3 QB projections for fantasy - well exactly ONE of them have Wentz in the top 24 QBs for this upcoming week, and way down at 22.

So what is the deal?

Is it cool to hate, or is it crazy to love Carson Wentz?

I sure wouldn't mind having him as my backup in fantasy.

EDIT SO THERE ARE NO MORE MISUNDERSTANDINGS.

I don't think he is the best; I would put him on my list at about 18 - 20. ..... with potential to be top 10 by year's end if he stays healthy.

Edited by Papa Deuce

Curious if you're new to football or just letting your Eagles homerism blind you? You seem to believe all the positive reports, but question anything that isn't glowing (calling it hate to rank him 24). He has looked good, in 2 games, against bad teams. As he plays more and teams get tape and can game plan for him that may change.

Has he looked good for a rookie hell yes.

Can he be a viable fantasy option, sure. Would you want to rely on him even as a backup, well that's a tough call.

One site I use outside the Huddle has him ranked pretty low for the rest of season, 25 and I think that is about right. I'd rather have most of the guys above him (Osweiler, Alex Smith, Mariota, Tannehill, Bradford) as my backup. This week should tell us more vs PIT, then he has the bye.

In my CBS league he shows --- under Pos Rank column, he is projected to score 12.5, Cousins shows 13.1 (Eli my starter 16.5).

Since I am in a keeper/dynasty league, I'm more interested in him for the future. But by week 5-6 I'll be deciding if he can be my full season backup and if so cut Cousins to make room for depth and covering byes.

No, I am actually pointing out the absurdity of calling him the best QB in the league... I wasn't the one who said it.... PFF did. I said I wouldn't have him in my top 10.

And no, I am a 45 year fan of the NFL. ( who has played fantasy football for the last 28 years ).

Edited by Papa Deuce
  • Like 3

I think we are confusing fantasy football with real football.

He has played conservatively and hasn't made any mistakes yet and that gets him a high grade on PFF based on the way they score. It is not a reflection on value in fantasy football.

As an Eagles fan, I am cautiously optimistic about his development.

• Like 3

He certainly passes the eye test. Not sure what QB rank PFF uses but he has played mostly error free ball and has a nice completion %. Against admittedly horrible defenses. Like I said last week. Let's revisit in week 8.

Eye test is a definite YES... but then again he came from a program that knows nothing but winning, albeit not at the highest level...but winning is a skill just like anything else and he understands what he can do to help win and what not to do (ZERO TOs). That is why I think he has confidence, that and the 2 cream puffs they faced in weeks 1 & 2...

GO Bison!

No, I am actually pointing out the absurdity of calling him the best QB in the league... I wasn't the one who said it.... PFF did. I said I wouldn't have him in my top 10.

And no, I am a 45 year fan of the NFL. ( who has played fantasy football for the last 28 years ).

My bad, the constant "Browns should have drafted Wentz" talk had be boiling and missing many of your valid points (wouldn't be a backup, wouldn't be in your top 10, etc.)

And then I was reading the Gordon arrest warrant stuff and got a bit :furious::bash: and went :crazy:

Plus we had been butting heads over Wentz already so I thought you were just spinning off a seperate "WEntz is great" thread.

mea cupla

• Like 1

I think we are confusing fantasy football with real football.

He has played conservatively and hasn't made any mistakes yet and that gets him a high grade on PFF based on the way they score. It is not a reflection on value in fantasy football.

As an Eagles fan, I am cautiously optimistic about his development.

As another Eagels fan this is how I feel. I was very down on the trade to get Wentz. But based on the value we got for Bradford and the way Wentz has been playing, it might not have been such a bad deal. I don't hate what I see so far from Wentz.

My bad, the constant "Browns should have drafted Wentz" talk had be boiling and missing many of your valid points (wouldn't be a backup, wouldn't be in your top 10, etc.)

And then I was reading the Gordon arrest warrant stuff and got a bit :furious::bash: and went :crazy:

Plus we had been butting heads over Wentz already so I thought you were just spinning off a seperate "WEntz is great" thread.

mea cupla

I am often surprised/impressed about how many people here are very reasonable after a little flare up.

It seemed to me the announcers were all about Wentz, especially Gruden. How he was sooooo great...I'm looking at his numbers that game and it was like 190 yards or something not overly impressive. I guess just not throwing picks will have people singing your praises.

Dammit! Now I have to rethink my Wentz wagon seat!

Seriously, I turned the sound off the TV on Monday night and put the radio on because Gruden annoys me so much, and is so over the top.

Edited by Papa Deuce

mea cupla

I really didn't feel like we were butting heads.

this is par for the course for Gruden. Every week someone else is "the best in the league"

Drinking game in my house w/ Gruden is "the best at" "never seen that kind of...." wish I could be a coach with this kind talent,moves, swagger" ...etc.. the list is endless. lol Gruden never met a horrible player or play in the league...my favorite phrase is "now look at this [insert player name here] ..he's the BEST at doing [inset play here]...kinda sad really but I love Chucky's love of fb.

It seemed to me the announcers were all about Wentz, especially Gruden. How he was sooooo great...I'm looking at his numbers that game and it was like 190 yards or something not overly impressive. I guess just not throwing picks will have people singing your praises.

Jordan Matthews dropped a dime TD. And agholor had a long catch in his hands that in my opinion shouldve been caught. Those two plays probably cost him 60 yards and a touchdown.

Its not his numbers or a lack of turnovers that is making everyone love Carson, its much more about the intangibles. Just the fact that he is holding his own coming out of AA. The way he presents himself in the pocket, the way he is able to identify defensive schemes and blitzes, change the plays at the line, all this stuff would take other rookie QBs years to learn. Teams were blinded by the division AA fact that they missed all the positive aspects of this rookie. So yes, the Browns screwed up and will regret it. But they will probably get the #1 pick next year anyway. Gotf even if he is put in as starter in the next few weeks, will never be as accurate or as collected as Wentz is now.

Is he the #1 overall QB? Hell no. Not in football or fantasy. Will he be in two years? If he stays healthy and progresses and learns from his mistakes, I will bet the bank on it.

I am often surprised/impressed about how many people here are very reasonable after a little flare up.

I can be a bit abrasive, negative and even mean. When I do it for no good reason I can accept that and apologize. I just totally missed the point of Papa Deuces post after some back and forth we had over Wentz.

I really didn't feel like we were butting heads.

I misread things, and thought you were all "Wentz is great..Browns messed up" while I was like "It was the Browns, then the Bears..."