[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

These Thursday games need to stop!

Shaft

These teams just played in Week 6, five weeks ago and it was 41-38. This is ridiculous. They need to stop the THU games or at least only use teams that were on bye. This is ridiculous. they need to go back to just SUN and MON games.

These teams just played in Week 6, five weeks ago and it was 41-38. This is ridiculous. They need to stop the THU games or at least only use teams that were on bye. This is ridiculous. they need to go back to just SUN and MON games.

If they are going to continue, this makes the most sense.

• Like 1

I'm going against Brees, Snead, and J-Stew right now. Pretty happy with how this game is going, haha. *crosses fingers*

As someone else said though, yeah... TNF is manuree.

Brees is going to start flinging it now, and Carolina is going to try and run it out with J-Stew....so, we'll see.

I am my own worst enemy. I keep promising myself each week to NEVER use a Thursday night player and I continue to do so. If I miss the playoffs it will be because of my Thursday night decisions.

My only start in this game was Greg Olsen.

I'm seriously thinking about benching Thursday night players. from now on.

The non studs for sure.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

For those of you saying you'll bench your folks, the crazy thing is that on Thanksgiving, none of this seems to apply. I never thought twice about starting players on Thanksgiving.

I agree, though, the Thursday night seems to be different for some reason. :shrug:

Week 13 might be an exception, though. Dallas at Minnesota, both will have played seven days prior.

For those of you saying you'll bench your folks, the crazy thing is that on Thanksgiving, none of this seems to apply. I never thought twice about starting players on Thanksgiving.

I agree, though, the Thursday night seems to be different for some reason. :shrug:

Week 13 might be an exception, though. Dallas at Minnesota, both will have played seven days prior.

You're right.

I don't remember regretting anything Thanksgiving Day starts.

• Like 1

I hear you but the NFL is not going to get rid of it and the extra revenue from TV. Doing games only after bye would mean fewer games or byes every week. They're here as long as the networks are paying.

I hear you but the NFL is not going to get rid of it and the extra revenue from TV. Doing games only after bye would mean fewer games or byes every week. They're here as long as the networks are paying.

And the networks are paying as long as folks are viewing... ;)

And the networks are paying as long as folks are viewing... ;)

And unless you're a Nielsen measured home you don't get counted, so it won't matter if you watch or not.

The networks pay because they get ratings and can sell advertising, better than what they'd show in place of the games.

• 2 weeks later...

League will take a close look at Thursday Night Football

Per Florio- poor ratings and overall negative attitude among teams, players, fans about TNF is prompting league review with possibly ending the 'experiment'.

With mounting criticism of the quality of every-week Thursday football, scattered suggestions have emerged in recent weeks that the NFL could pull the plug on the experiment. Those suggestions are stronger than that; per a source with knowledge of the situation, the league will be considering the possibility of ending, or at least limiting, Thursday Night Football.

The current contract with CBS and NBC runs through 2017, which means that changes to the package could be made by 2018 — barring a renegotiation.

The league realizes that, with every team playing once on a short week each season, many of the Thursday games necessarily will have reduced appeal. Adding extra prime-time games to the Sunday/Monday inventory also has created a sense that the league has saturated the marketplace with stand-alone evening games.

Options include (but aren’t limited to) getting rid of Thursday games completely and possibly starting the package at Thanksgiving and continuing it through the end of the season, with games likely to generate broad interest selected in April for November/December programming. Thursday Night Football debuted a decade ago as a device for providing game content for NFL Network, allowing the league-owned operation to generate higher fees from cable and satellite providers.

• Like 1

Per Florio- poor ratings and overall negative attitude among teams, players, fans about TNF is prompting league review with possibly ending the 'experiment'.

I'll believe that when I see it, cannot recall the NFL ever leaving money on the table like that. So long as NBC, CBS or some other networks are willing to pay $$$ for extra games I'd surprised to see the NFL say "no thanks". I know the ratings are down, and over saturation may be part of the cause, but we've had full seasond of TNF games for several years now and ratings were still trending upwards until this season.

From what I've followed with ratings the Sunday afternoon games on Fox/CBS are not down much if any, it is the primetime games (SNF, MNF and TNF) that are suffering. I'm not sure how getting rid of most/all TNF games, which relegates them to the regional Sunday afternoons (seen by few outside their local markets) increases the ratings of SNF/MNF, which honestly have had a lot more duds than in recent years. TNF isn't eating up prime matchups, week 13 DAL-MIN being a rare exception with a big name team (and a second good team). Most are CIN-CLE, or JAX-TEN, SF-LA type games that few want to see.

Will be interesting to hear what the owners say during their upcoming meetings.

• Like 2

Just speaking from my own perspective, it's just overkill. I can't do football most of the day on Sunday, then Sunday, Monday & Thursday night. It's too much and I just don't have time for it. On top of that, the Thursday night product typically sucks. So, instead of the prime time game being an event, to which I might set aside my time for, I hardly ever watch it. Even when I do I have a hard time staying awake. They're watering down their product for more money now and I think they are beginning to realize that, in the long term, they are damaging the product.

• Like 2

IMHO they should keep the Thursday night season opener and the Thanksgiving games but dump the rest.

• Like 1