[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben may be hurt..

Valhalla

I'm curious how easy a torn meniscus is diagnosed. He went to the locker room, RZ channel reported he wouldn't return.

Did they send him back out there knowing it was torn? :unsure:

MRI. I had this surgery in June where they clipped, rather than sutured, the torn portion of my medial meniscus. * I was told I could return to normal activity in a week and resume physical activity [running] in two months. I never required crutches or pain meds and was back to work in 5 days. I resumed running 4 weeks later but could have sooner [just playing it safe/listened to my body]. I would imagine he'll be good to go in two weeks.

* Ben tore his lateral meniscus which is slightly more complicated issue.

Edited by MothAudio
  • Like 1

Is this the same thing that happened to Peterson this year?

Generally, yes. AP's injury was much more complicated though. The meniscus is basically like an onion ring your femur rests on and it reduces friction between the femur and tibia. AP's was torn like a bucket handle. Take an onion ring and lay it on the table. Take a knife and cut it not up and down, but across the horizontal axis. The lip of the onion ring can now be lifted like a bucket handle. It's not so much a "tear" as a "hole". AP's got caught on a spur on the bone which is why it was so painful and he couldn't straighten his leg - doing so felt like stretching a rubber band inside his knee.

In Ben's case it's likely just a vertical tear where they can just cut out the damaged part.

Edited by flemingd
  • Like 1

So maybe 4 weeks? Less?

I remember when Randal Cunningham had a very similar procedure and was back after only missing one game. Everbody is different of course and who knows exactly what was done, but I would think only a couple of weeks.

So maybe 4 weeks? Less?

I've heard that he possibly only misses 1 week.