[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eddie Lacy unlikely to play Thursday

michaelredd9

Starks already ruled out too, paging Knile Davis step up for your chance to gash the Bears defense.

Don Jackson is being promoted from the practice squad. He has been with the Packers since May. Also, Ty Montgomery played some running back last game.

Missed the game and lots of highlights info this weekend, should have known there were other guys there to do something at RB. Short week Davis probably doesn't even suit up.

I doubt he'll be any more useful to the Pack than Forssett was to the Lions, but ill pick him up anyways. Worst case maybe i can trade him to the Lacy owner for something

I watched the Lions game, Forsett just didn't get much action, and Zenner looked pretty good running the ball. Plus Stafford was slinging it all over. The difference is DET doesn't have a Lacy or even Starks (Riddick is close) waiting in the wings.

I watched the Lions game, Forsett just didn't get much action, and Zenner looked pretty good running the ball. Plus Stafford was slinging it all over. The difference is DET doesn't have a Lacy or even Starks (Riddick is close) waiting in the wings.

So are you saying you expect Davis to get some good reps, at least this week?

So are you saying you expect Davis to get some good reps, at least this week?

Missed the game and lots of highlights info this weekend, should have known there were other guys there to do something at RB. Short week Davis probably doesn't even suit up.

Nope I actually said that he probalby won't suit up this week. I spoke to soon on my "paging Knile Davis" should have checked what other RB GB has.

I'm considering playing Ty Montgomery in Fanduel. His salary is $5,600. Of his 10 catches, 6 came while playing running back. His two fumbles was no bueno, but McCarthy didn't sound too concerned. Here is an interesting article from ESPN:

More for Montgomery: Packers say they 'need to get Ty the ball'

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/34305/more-for-montgomery-packers-say-they-need-to-get-ty-the-ball

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- There’s plenty for Ty Montgomery to think about: the career-high 10 catches for 98 yards, the three carries he had out of the backfield as a running back and his two fumbles.

So what consumed the Green Bay Packers receiver the day after that performance in Sunday’s loss to the Dallas Cowboys?

“What do I think about more?” he said. “Beating Chicago.”

Such is life on a short week, especially for a player who could be a significant part of coach Mike McCarthy’s game plan again on Thursday night against the Bears at Lambeau Field. The second-year receiver played 35 snaps against the Cowboys. That was more than double what he had played in the first four games of the season combined. And outside of his fumbles, Montgomery was one of the few bright spots, perhaps the only bright spot, for the Packers offense on Sunday.

McCarthy relied more heavily on Montgomery for two reasons: He reintroduced the “Big Five” package -- a five-receiver set -- for the first time this season, using it on 12 of the Packers’ 70 offensive plays, and he needed Montgomery in the backfield because running back Eddie Lacy’s tender left ankle limited him to just 31 snaps.

“Frankly, we need to get Ty the ball,” McCarthy said Monday after reviewing the tape. “It’s about creating opportunities to get certain players the football. I did not get the football to Randall Cobb last night enough. That’s the one failure coming out of the game from an opportunity-creation standpoint.”

Like Cobb, Montgomery has developed into a player who can line up just about anywhere on offense.

The Packers might need Montgomery again in the backfield this week because Lacy’s ankle remains problematic, although they plan to promote running back Don Jackson from the practice squad on Tuesday, a source said on Monday evening.

Either way, Montgomery’s work with the backs won’t end despite gaining just 6 yards on his three carries against the Cowboys. Of Montgomery’s 10 catches, six came when he was lined up in the backfield.

“He definitely has shown the ability to play running back,” McCarthy said. “He’s spent a lot of time with the running back group the last, I think it was, about four weeks now meeting-wise, protections and so forth. Going no-huddle with him back there [sunday] night was definitely one of the positive portions of our offensive performance. He did a lot of good things. I thought he did some good things coming out of the backfield. To do the whole thing, that’s what we’re working toward, because any time you can create more flexibility for a playmaker, especially with the state of our running back situation, that’s part of it. It will definitely help us.”

Montgomery said it’s been crash-course at running back. “There’s a lot that comes from experience, but we have some good running backs in the room, where I can learn from them, watch what they do, see what they’ve done, pick their brains a little bit about how they read things,” he said.

His fumbles, however, had nothing to do with his new position. He fumbled once as a receiver and once as a running back, losing the latter in the fourth quarter. He had two of the Packers’ five fumbles in the game.

“No matter where you’re carrying the football, the fundamentals should always be the same,” Montgomery said.

Don Jackson: Young thug who turned his life around and now (maybe) has a chance to run for the Pack:

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2015/08/14/life-saved-don-jackson-story/31749275/

""That kid was the most violent runner I've ever seen in my life," said Ryan Nill, Mark's son and an assistant coach at Laguna who was a mentor for Jackson. "You could see how powerful he was. Don ran with something extra. Given his past and things that happened in his life, he used that on the field."

I like it. I'm picking up Don. He's the only natural RB who knows the offense. I say he gets first crack at the carries.

• Like 1