[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eddie Lacy unlikely to play Thursday

michaelredd9

Jackson is on espn now, unfortunately he's on waivers til the 26th. In my league at least. :(

Yep, Don Xzaviar Jackson is now listed in my ESPN league. He is running in my waivers tomorrow morning. My guess is that you have Wednesday morning waivers so they had to put him into your next waiver period to be fair to everyone. With the middle name Xzaviar, he is bound to be amazing. I guess that's the reason he is the only player in ESPN fantasy with his middle name listed. I'm going to call him Professor X.

Edited by michaelredd9

Must be nice. Would of been awesome to just snag him right now. No way I get him now lol.

If the Packers didn't think highly enough of him to sign him from the practice squad last week when the Packers only had one active running back, then I doubt he has much of a role in the future. But he might be fantasy relevant for a couple of weeks.

Edited by michaelredd9

If the Packers didn't think highly enough of him to sign him from the practice squad last week when the Packers only had one active running back, then I doubt he has much of a role in the future. But he might be fantasy relevant for a couple of weeks.

The thing you have to remember is it's not just about a player's ability, but also who the team would have to cut in order to bring that player up from the practice squad. And this was before they knew Lacey would be out several weeks with his aggravated ankle injury, so it makes perfect sense they didn't bring him up last week.

The thing you have to remember is it's not just about a player's ability, but also who the team would have to cut in order to bring that player up from the practice squad. And this was before they knew Lacey would be out several weeks with his aggravated ankle injury, so it makes perfect sense they didn't bring him up last week.

While, I agree, that is still insane on the Packers part to only go into a game with ONE real running back. There must be a reason he wasn't upgraded last week.

If Starks were supposed to come back the next week, I would agree. But with Starks out for a month and Lacy with a sore ankle, they must have been more comfortable with Montgomery at running back than Jackson. Cutting the 53rd man on a roster isn't a big deal.

GREEN BAY — Mike McCarthy wishes it was simple. With two injury-ravaged positions needing help and a quick turnaround in the wake of Sunday’s loss to the Dallas Cowboys, the Green Bay Packers coach would love it if balancing the roster this week was easy.

Alas, it is not.

“It’s never, ‘Give me another running back.’ Or, ‘Give me another corner.’ Because it’s a long year,” McCarthy said Monday as the Packers began their prep for Thursday night’s game against the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field. “You have 53 (players), plus (10) practice squad guys. That is the chess match right there.”

It's not just "cut the last guy on the roster, and give me a RB" because that last guy may only be your 3rd DE, or 5th CB, or whatever. That's what I meant earlier when I said it's not about a player's ability, but who they'll have to cut to bring that person up. If they think they can get by with only one RB for a week, then why take the chance at dropping someone you want to keep for only one week? Plus they've been cross-training Ty Montgomery (and maybe Cobb too, the article I read didn't detail it) at RB for over 4 weeks now, so they already had flexibility. Now with Lacey out multiple weeks, they have to bring up Don Jackson.

• Like 2

Here's the original link I meant to post to my above cut/paste, it has a lot of other good points directly relevant to the Packers' current situation.

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/football/professional/packers-no-easy-answers-at-running-back-cornerback-as-preparations/article_946ee229-3376-57fd-bd0f-5cc7a7e2dfe5.html

He is still on the practice squad.

Curious why that should matter, glad CBS doesn't have stuff like this.

Don Jackson is on GB roster, he's in our player pool and available to be added. Having to wait for players to be activated from the practice squad before you sign them seems odd. That shoulnd't matter, same as which NFL team the player is listed for. Kniles Davis was traded to GB but when we're grabbing him off waivers last night he's shown as KC, today it shows he's with GB. I would hope all league sites handle that properly and not act like one team has Kniles Davis KC while the GB version is still available.

What a mess....our waivers run in a few hours and all three (Jackson, Davis, and Montgomery) are available in both leagues. Wat do?

You're only going to get one or none.

Could use a smidge of WR help in one league, so I'll have Montgomery up first there. I'm 6-0 and therefore last at #12. I might not see any of these three. Thankfully I snapped up Meredith before kickoff last week.

Second waivers run two hours after that...might see how the first goes and then slot accordingly. I'm 3-3 and #7 in the order. In that league, it's a wash between WR and RB help for me. Would love to see Montgomery be the main beneficiary in all this over the next couple of weeks. Might dampen the sting of seeing Brown's numbers fade until Ben returns.

While, I agree, that is still insane on the Packers part to only go into a game with ONE real running back. There must be a reason he wasn't upgraded last week.

I have a feeling that losing Starks for this week caught them off guard. He was a bit banged up and missing practice, then was gone for personal reasons (might have read a death in the family), then he's suddenly (Saturday afternoon) out, then has surgery and will miss several weeks (though some reports had McCarthy saying it would be a quick recovery).

I think they figured they could use Cobb and Ty Montgomery at RB some to give Lacy a break, and didn't expect Lacy to be so hobbled (I was surprised he returned after leaving and spending all that time with trainers). Maybe by the time they knew Starks would be out they couldn't get Jackson promoted from practice squad, or like McCarthy says they had other needs.

Not sure I'll pick up either Ty or Jackson, Ty has some appeal as I could use another WR to cover some bye/injury concerns this week, but that would mean starting him on Thursday with little info on GB or my other WR.

• Like 1

Don Jackson getting the first team reps at practice told me all I needed to know. Note: I wouldn't base your decisions off what I needed to know. I am rolling the dice on picking up this kid and seeing him run wild tomorrow night in the greatest success story since Samkon Gado made a few Lambeau leaps back in the day.

from the local beat writer: "Thompson and McCarthy also are paying for their decision to keep only two halfbacks on the roster at final cuts, though I’m assuming they’ll promote Don Jackson from the practice squad Thursday to start against the Bears. Davis will have to play as well"

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/10/19/dougherty-packers-time-make-do/92407728/

Edited by WildTurkey

Kinda doing the same. I picked up Ty and Don, and dropped my kicker. At the last minute, depending on the chatter, I'll drop one of them (probably Ty, if I'm thinking long term). I'll fill the kicker in later. I just don't see Starks shouldering the load. He's had plenty of chances over the years, but never seems able to remain a major factor.

I managed to pick up both Davis and Don Jackson, so I'll be watching tonight to see how the play time gets parceled out.

Meanwhile, I have Le'Veon Bell, Terrence West, and Jacquizz Rodgers playing this weekend, so no need to throw Jackson or Davis in, thankfully. But with both Bell and West on bye next week, and Martin maybe coming back by then, I'll definitely need to know which GB RB to start.

So is this a season ending thing? I don't want to drop him but I don't want him taking up bench space either

The Packers put Sam Shields on IR with his concussion problems and are hoping that he comes back this season. Teams can only bring back one player from IR. So my guess is that Lacy is done for this season

• Like 2