[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That was the dumbest game ever. No touchdowns and a 6-6 tie.

DMD

I disagree. It may not have generated many fantasy points, but I loved seeing both teams battle to the end, leaving it all on the field. Both teams played their hearts out, and though some mistakes were made on both sides, I found it to be a very entertaining game. It should make for one hell of a rematch up here on Christmas Eve; I just may pony-up the moola to go see that one in person!

Edited by Lloyd Dobler
  • Like 2

I don't think it was dumb, but I didn't start watching until the 2nd half. The battle was fun, if not fancy from that point on..I enjoyed the OT. Watching both kickers miss chip shots in OT was dumb.

From a fantasy perspective, David Johnson was absolutely the stud and OT helped several players like Graham to end up okay. From an NFL perspective, it was wildly entertaining despite the lack of points. I had every one in my house come running into my office when I yelled with every missed field goal.

It was like "did I just see that happen?"

To the OP: This was a great game of football. If your participation in fantasy made you blind to the effort, talent, and strategy displayed in this game then you have sunk to a lowly rank indeed. Preseason games are dumb because there is no defense, no effort, and no real desire to win. Pretty much the opposite of this game. Best game I've seen in a loooong time.

Refs blew it on blocked field goal call. His foot touched the snapper as he went over.

Palmer blew it taking a stupid sack at the end of first half to fumble ball and lose a chance at another field goal. Also 3rd and 18 inches at the goal line and it's a delay of game, horrible clock management.

Catanzaro should be fired. He didn't lose the game for them, he still blew the win.

The rest of the game was exciting and entertaining to watch. Still want a new QB that doesn't make you hold your breath every time he takes a sack or 5 in a game.

My dumbest comment was all about the fact that I do not recall ever seeing a game that had two short field goals missed in overtime. I do not ever remember that happening. For all the hard fought effort,, it all came down to an "automatic" field goal that was missed by both sides.

I had a one point lead going against M. Floyd towards the end of the game. Blocked field goal, and I started cursing, overtime caused more profanity, and then that catch he made almost made me throw the controller. I lost by one point for the 2nd week in a row thanks to the Cardinals. Fantasy football is an emotional ride.

• Like 1

My dumbest comment was all about the fact that I do not recall ever seeing a game that had two short field goals missed in overtime. I do not ever remember that happening. For all the hard fought effort,, it all came down to an "automatic" field goal that was missed by both sides.

I am pretty sure that these "automatic" field goals are not automatic anymore because the extra point has been moved back and now the kickers don't know how to kick such short field goals. Or they don't practice them as much anymore. New rules changing the game on so many levels!

I don't truly believe that but I am pretty sure that some talking head will come up with this theory pretty soon, if not already!

And I thought it was a great game besides the missed FGs. I liken it to the basketball game when every possession matters or the at bat when every pitch counts that much more. It would suck to be the kicker that loses the game, or in this case, leaves the game a tie.

Edited by Swashbucklers

I am pretty sure that these "automatic" field goals are not automatic anymore because the extra point has been moved back and now the kickers don't know how to kick such short field goals. Or they don't practice them as much anymore. New rules changing the game on so many levels!

I don't truly believe that but I am pretty sure that some talking head will come up with this theory pretty soon, if not already!

That's a crock. Those field goals should have been automatic. The kicker has ONE job, put the ball through the uprights. Trying to tell me that chip shot field goals are no longer automatic because the distance for the PAT changed is pretty stupid.

That's a crock. Those field goals should have been automatic. The kicker has ONE job, put the ball through the uprights. Trying to tell me that chip shot field goals are no longer automatic because the distance for the PAT changed is pretty stupid.

I said that I do not believe this to be true. Someone will come up with this theory after this game. I agree with you, kickers have one job.

I appreciated a well-fought, defensive battle. As good as a 38-35 game can be with offensive highlights, this game was full of hard hits, great defense, and coaching decisions that led the both teams trying to ensure they poor field position for their opponent.

For instance, there was a series late in the 3rd quarter where the Cards had a 3rd down at the Seattle 39 yard line. Many times, a team rushes the ball there to get a few extra yards and then try for a 50'ish yard FG. Nope, no way the Cards were going to risk a missed FG and give the ball to Seattle near mid-field. Arians calls a pass play to try to get a first down, knowing if its incomplete, they are punting. Which they did, pinning the Seahawks inside the 5-yard line. 3 plays later, the Cards are getting the ball back in great field position.

Reminded me of a 1-0 baseball game...lots of strategy. Too bad it was likely lost on many that can only get excited if there are 70+ combined points scored in a game.

Edited by SoxBandit

To the OP: This was a great game of football. If your participation in fantasy made you blind to the effort, talent, and strategy displayed in this game then you have sunk to a lowly rank indeed. Preseason games are dumb because there is no defense, no effort, and no real desire to win. Pretty much the opposite of this game. Best game I've seen in a loooong time.

this made me laugh

Funny... Living in the greater Seattle area (and working with mostly Hawks fans), I've heard a variety of comments today. Everything from "what a defensive battle" to "that was a terrible game last night" to "that was an instant classic."

My personal opinion was that it WAS a great defensive battle, particularly on the Seattle side (their defense was on the field far more than Arizona's was, and the snap counts were insane). A 90-snap game for any player is next to unheard of.... Seattle had SIX guys play 90+ snaps last night, and if you include special teams, three players went over 100 plays for the game (and two more were at 99). Just to put that in perspective, in the same game, Seattle only ran 63 plays on offense. Bobby Wagner needed help walking off the field. Not from injury, but pure exhaustion/fatigue. So, yeah, I thought it was a pretty impressive effort by both defenses, and especially Seattle's.

That said, the missed FG's were bizarre, and if nothing else, those two plays alone are enough to keep the game out of the "great" category in my mind. Bizarre? Sure. Memorable because of the strange series of events in (and leading up to) overtime? Absolutely. But, I can't call it a great game.

The best analogy I can come up with (having just watched the Ryder Cup a few weeks ago) is a very close match between two golfers on a REALLY tough golf course. Very few birdie chances (low scoring), scrambling to halve most of the holes with par, and the golfer who trailed by one for most of the round ties it up with a couple of holes left. Both golfers have chances to win on the last couple of holes, but miss 3-foot putts, and it ends in a draw. Not a lot of scoring, but fun to watch nonetheless. But, the missed gimmes to end it take it out of the "classic" category. Still memorable, but it won't be one of the "great" games of the 2016 season, when all is said and done.