[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starks is getting his shot

InTomWeTrust

I picked him up this week thinking I was getting him 1 week ahead of schedule, and put him in IR. I did, but now he practices today and I have to drop someone to make lineup changes since he cant be in IR slot any longer. I think this is farewell Gillislee.

• Like 1

According to Rotoworld even when he comes back week 10 it will be a confusing RBBC.

I think both Starks and Montgomery can have fantasy value. Starks can get 10-15 carries with a couple of receptions. Montgomery can get 5-10 catches and 5-10 carries. Starks is going to have a large role. The Packers aren't going to overuse Montgomery with his sickle-cell issues.

Starks is on the wrong side of 30, and he's averaging 1.8 yards per carry. Good luck with that.

He has 42 yards on 24 carries this year. Too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. He'll get plenty of use as long as he averages 3.5 yards per carry. Heck, he'll probably get plenty of use if he averages 1.8 yards per carry.

Packers plan to use James Starks as primary back this week, per report

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/11/9/13580002/packers-james-starks-primary-running-back-nfl-week-10-2016

The Green Bay Packers' wait for a lead running back appears to be almost over. According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the team plans to lean on James Starks this week as its primary back.

Starks, who underwent knee surgery just under four weeks ago, hasn't appeared in a game since Oct. 9. Prior to his injury, he served in a reserve role behind starter Eddie Lacy. However, with Lacy sidelined with an ankle injury until at least Week 15, Starks could return as the Packers' new workhorse back.

Even if Starks plays this week, Green Bay could use several other players in tandem with him. Versatile offensive weapon Ty Montgomery has performed well as a runner and receiver out the backfield, with head coach Mike McCarthy making comments earlier Wednesday that suggest the team views him more as a running back now than a wide receiver. Undrafted rookie Don Jackson and fullback Aaron Ripkowski could too see some action.

Still, a healthy Starks makes the most sense for the Packers as a lead back, even despite his low efficiency thus far in 2016. On 24 carries, he has amassed 42 yards, putting him under 2 yards per carry. Starks' effectiveness could improve given a more steady diet of touches, however.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mike-mccarthy-views-ty-montgomery-202314408.html

Starks may just have to play 2nd fiddle to Montgomery as well

Interesting. I was just about to come here to post - assuming everyone would be jumping on the Starks train - that I wouldn't sell Montgomery out just yet, especially for fantasy purposes and especially in PPR formats.

While Starks should/could get a larger share of the rushing pie, Montgomery will still see some carries AND looks in the passing game. This guy is the Percy Harvin we all wish Percy Harvin had become. I think this might just be the tip of the iceberg with this guy, and that article proves it.

Can Montgomery be a workhorse back with his sickle cell trait? I'm sure McCarthy would love Montgomery to be a full-time back with how effective the offense has been while he is in the backfield. But Montgomery already has had some serious sickle cell issues from having a heavy workload. McCarthy might just be coachspeaking when he says Montgomery can be a 3-down back. But even with fewer touches, Montgomery can be the better fantasy back.

Can Montgomery be a workhorse back with his sickle cell trait? I'm sure McCarthy would love Montgomery to be a full-time back with how effective the offense has been while he is in the backfield. But Montgomery already has had some serious sickle cell issues from having a heavy workload. McCarthy might just be coachspeaking when he says Montgomery can be a 3-down back. But even with fewer touches, Montgomery can be the better fantasy back.

Ryan Clark

Tevin Coleman

Jason McCourty

Devin McCourty

Geno Atkins

Tiki Barber

John Brown

All carry the sickle cell trait, and that's just a quick Google search so I'm sure there are more. I'm not going to say I highly doubt it will change his career, but there are some good players on that list, and its not like he just found out about it. He has been living his entire life with it.

• Like 1

Ryan Clark

Tevin Coleman

Jason McCourty

Devin McCourty

Geno Atkins

Tiki Barber

John Brown

All carry the sickle cell trait, and that's just a quick Google search so I'm sure there are more. I'm not going to say I highly doubt it will change his career, but there are some good players on that list, and its not like he just found out about it. He has been living his entire life with it.

Both for Montgomery's sake and as a Packers fan, I hope you're right. It just seems that they are going to be extra cautious since he has already experienced serious symptoms. Clearly, the Steelers weren't cautious enough with Ryan Clark when he lost a spleen and gall bladder. Montgomery's issues didn't even come from playing in high altitude. My assumption is that his issues came from a heavy workload. But I am just speculating. I only play a doctor on tv.

Both for Montgomery's sake and as a Packers fan, I hope you're right. It just seems that they are going to be extra cautious since he has already experienced serious symptoms. Clearly, the Steelers weren't cautious enough with Ryan Clark when he lost a spleen and gall bladder. Montgomery's issues didn't even come from playing in high altitude. My assumption is that his issues came from a heavy workload. But I am just speculating. I only play a doctor on tv.

Are you the guy with the cane who doesn't listen to his boss and only takes interesting cases?

• Like 4