[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jay Cutler maybe gone

DMD

Cutler will have shoulder surgery. Done for the year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3608/jay-cutler

Backup or done? I say done. I wouldn't think he'd play as a backup any better than he's shown in the last 3 year or so. who'd take him atm??? I'm sure some teams would make sense but would it be worth the cost and headache?

Oh, nah he'll be back somewhere.

Really? Ok I know neither of us truly "know"...but I don't see it... Then again Vick hung on forever it seemed like before the ugly truth reared it's ugly head. I hate to wait. We'll see.

Really? Ok I know neither of us truly "know"...but I don't see it... Then again Vick hung on forever it seemed like before the ugly truth reared it's ugly head. I hate to wait. We'll see.

I have nothing to base this on, but maybe a Denver homer could chime in. There are rumors of Romo going there, so why wouldn't there also be rumors for Cutler to return? I'm saying if they determine that Lynch is just not ready and Siemian is "just a guy" (which he has shown that he might just be). I dunno.

There are other options too. Basically anywhere that's been linked to Romo, I could see Cutler also being an option. He's 3 years younger. Maybe he doesn't have the demeanor to join a team like the Broncos to assist in the development of a young QB like Lynch. Totally spitballing.

But yeah if guys like Josh McCown can go and start, so can Cutler. Maybe he does end up as a backup but he can still be effective I think. We shall see.

• Like 3

He'll go somewhere where he might have a chance to start, a team with rookie QB or something. I've always liked him, I know many think he is garbage.

Hard to turn down millions by holding a clipboard. He's got skills, is a tough guy.

Multiple OC's for this guy throughout his career - it just was never meant to be in Chicago. Basically a .500 record and way too many game deciding mistakes. Put him behind a solid OL with a good ground game, and he can win games.

People who don't think he is a tough guy aren't watching closely enough to the beatings he has taken and I can't make you feel differently. No biggie.

Oh, please. Comparatively speaking, Rivers has played the same amount of years as Cutler, and been sacked 49 more times, yet hasn't missed a game in 10 years. Eli has also been sacked more times than Cutler, and hasn't missed a game in 10 years. These are tough QB's.

:thinking:

Didn't realize that

What that there can only be 2 tough QBs in the NFL? Or that if you miss games you're not tough?

Or that they've both played every game for 10+ years?

Did you know that Browns LT Joe Thomas has never missed a snap, in 10 seasons. Can you remmeber an OL that did that?

Oh, please. Comparatively speaking, Rivers has played the same amount of years as Cutler, and been sacked 49 more times, yet hasn't missed a game in 10 years. Eli has also been sacked more times than Cutler, and hasn't missed a game in 10 years. These are tough QB's.

I may be a Bears fan, but I would not lump myself in with the "Cutler apologists". No offense, but comparing sack totals don't mean jack-ish.

Yes, it's a metric you can start with.... but Cutler has taken an absolute beating. Go add up QB hits plus sacks. And most importantly, Cutler is a more mobile QB with 1,600+ rushing yards.

Manning is a pocket passer with 500ish rushing yards. Rivers is a statue with 300ish.

Is Cutler fragile? I'd say no. Go back and read up on his draft grading. The dude was one of the strongest QBs in his class. If not THE strongest. He was putting up LB-like #s on the bench.

I think people confuse his apparent demeanor with him being non-caring, soft, in a constant state of meh. Trust me, I wish the guy was a better asset for my team but I think he's gotten a fairly bad rap. :shrug:

• Like 4

What that there can only be 2 tough QBs in the NFL? Or that if you miss games you're not tough?

Or that they've both played every game for 10+ years?

Did you know that Browns LT Joe Thomas has never missed a snap, in 10 seasons. Can you remmeber an OL that did that?

No, I was just giving examples of tough QB's because I don't think Cutler belongs anywhere near that category. Brady, Brees, etc. I'm not going to run through all their stats though. He quit the biggest game of his life, haha.

Cutler has taken some of the most brutal hits I've ever seen a quarterback take. And it's his fault for holding onto the ball until the last possible moment many times out in the flats or with a 7 step drop. Linebackers or defensive linemen will often be going full speed when they hit him. Big pocket passers like Rivers, Roethlisberger, or Brady don't take nearly as many big hits when they do get sacked or hit after they've thrown the ball.

Edited by michaelredd9

Cutler has taken some of the most brutal hits I've ever seen a quarterback take. And it's his fault for holding onto the ball until the last possible moment many times out in the flats or with a 7 step drop. Linebackers or defensive linemen will often be going full speed when they hit him. Big pocket passers like Rivers, Roethlisberger, or Brady don't take nearly as many big hits when they do get sacked or hit after they've thrown the ball.

Exactly.

I may be a Bears fan, but I would not lump myself in with the "Cutler apologists". No offense, but comparing sack totals don't mean jack-ish.

Yes, it's a metric you can start with.... but Cutler has taken an absolute beating. Go add up QB hits plus sacks. And most importantly, Cutler is a more mobile QB with 1,600+ rushing yards.

Manning is a pocket passer with 500ish rushing yards. Rivers is a statue with 300ish.

Is Cutler fragile? I'd say no. Go back and read up on his draft grading. The dude was one of the strongest QBs in his class. If not THE strongest. He was putting up LB-like #s on the bench.

I think people confuse his apparent demeanor with him being non-caring, soft, in a constant state of meh. Trust me, I wish the guy was a better asset for my team but I think he's gotten a fairly bad rap. :shrug:

I agree, sacks don't tell the whole story. I feel like it's a fair place to start though. We'd obviously have to do a lot more stat digging to really come up with an accurate picture, and at the end of the day no one's mind is going to be changed. The mobile is a good argument, Alex Smith is a similar comparison, he's taken a beating over the years too and missed some games. Maybe it is the cut of his jib, the fact that he didn't look to be in pain in the 2011 game after the thumb injury, the eye-rolling, bad attitude, etc. :thinking: