[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2017 QB market

Wolverines Fan

From profootballtalk.com.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/25/teams-may-be-very-thankful-for-the-2017-quarterback-market/

Every year, a cluster of NFL teams tries in vain to upgrade at the quarterback position. In many cases, they’re required to roll the dice on a draft pick. This year, an unprecedented glut of quarterbacks with NFL experience may arise.

Here’s a full list of all veteran quarterbacks who may be available, with a quick explanation as to why they could be available.

And, yes, there are 20 of them.

Tyrod Taylor, Bills: The contract he signed earlier this year gave him a significant raise for 2016. It also gave the team an easy exit for 2017. If the Bills change coaches, will the successor to Rex Ryan want to commit $27.5 million to Taylor? Maybe, maybe not. If not, he’ll be released.

Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots: The Pats will face the Chandler Jones/Jamie Collins conundrum with Garoppolo in 2017. Do they keep him for the final year of his deal and allow his departure to factor in to the compensatory draft picks for 2019, or do they trade him for whatever they could get one or two years sooner? With Jacoby Brissett looking the part, don’t be shocked if the Pats part ways with Garoppolo.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jets: No one may want him (especially not as a starter), but he’ll be available. For obvious reasons.

Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins: The Dolphins have a $14.475 million decision to make on Tannehill in March. Earlier this year, it was a toss-up. Now, barring a meltdown, it’s a no-brainer. He’ll be a Dolphin.

A.J. McCarron, Bengals: Signed through 2017, the Bengals have to decide (like the Patriots do) whether to trade McCarron in 2017 or keep him for another year, let him walk in free agency, and get a compensatory pick in 2019.

Robert Griffin III, Browns: The perpetually injured, but now healthy, Griffin may get a chance to audition for his next job before the season ends. With supply matching demand (for a change), Griffin may have to accept a backup role in order to continue his career.

Josh McCown, Browns: He’s under contract for another year, but the Browns may decide there’s no spot for him on a potentially revamped depth chart. He has nevertheless proven to be a steadying presence for a team that needs a positive influence, and his staying power in pro football has been remarkable.

Landry Jones, Steelers: The looming free agent has some starting experience, and he has shown some flashes of ability.

Blake Bortles, Jaguars: The slumping would-be franchise quarterback could be looking for a new franchise if the next coaching staff in Jacksonville decides to look elsewhere. The real question is whether the Jaguars will sign him to a long-term deal after the season or, if not, whether they’ll pick up what would be a very sizable option for 2018. Absent either, a trade could be on the horizon — if anyone want to trade for him at this point.

Alex Smith, Chiefs: Will the Chiefs decide, given the various options on the market, to move on from Smith? Plenty of Kansas City fans will wish they would, given the perception that he has taken the team as far as he can.

Nick Foles, Chiefs: Technically signed through 2017, his contract balloons to eight figures next year. Which means that he’ll likely be cut, if his deal isn’t renegotiated. His best bet could be to stick around in Kansas City with the man who drafted him back when they both were with the Eagles in 2012.

Trevor Siemian, Broncos: If the Broncos decide either to give the job to Paxton Lynch or to sign or trade for someone else, they’d have to decide whether to bench Siemian for the third year of his four-year rookie deal or move on. They’d likely keep him, unless someone else makes the Broncos an offer they can’t refuse.

Tony Romo, Cowboys: If it wasn’t clear when he publicly surrendered the job to Dak Prescott 10 days ago, the last two games should make it obvious that Dak is the guy, indefinitely. Which means Romo will definitely be out. At $14 million for 2017, his contract is easily tradeable. The challenge will be setting the right compensation so that the team that trades for Romo is protected against another serious injury, and so that the Cowboys are protected against Romo playing 16 regular-season games.

Kirk Cousins, Washington: The team has three choices for Cousins, none of which are good. They can tag him at $23.94 million for 2017, sign him to a long-term deal with the tag amount for 2017 as the starting point, or let the market set his value. The problem with letting the market set his value is that he could then choose to sign with a new team on the open market, Brock Osweiler style.

Jay Cutler, Bears: Due to make only $12.5 million next year, Cutler becomes a bargain in 2017. Which means that the Bears should consider keeping him, unless they have an alternative that would represent a clear upgrade. Also, what if John Fox is fired and, say, Kyle Shanahan get the job? Kyle’s father drafted Cutler nearly 11 years ago.

Sam Bradford, Vikings: With a $4 million roster bonus due in March and a $13 million salary for 2017, the Vikings have a decision to make on Bradford. Their choice will depend upon Teddy Bridgewater’s health and prognosis. The team’s other options also will be a factor. Bradford could be traded for a third straight year — or cut outright.

Mike Glennon, Buccaneers: A free agent in 2017, Glennon made 18 starts in the two seasons before

Jameis Winston arrived. Glennon’s 30 career touchdown passes against 15 interceptions surely will attract someone’s attention.

Carson Palmer, Cardinals: If the Cardinals find an upgrade, Palmer could be thrown overboard. Also, don’t rule out the possibility of Palmer quitting on the Cardinals. He’s done it both to the Bengals and the Raiders.

Case Keenum, Rams: Benched for Jared Goff and due to hit the open market, the question becomes whether a team will blame the problems with the team’s offense on Keenum, on the absence of talent around him, or on coaching.

Colin Kaepernick, 49ers: The Broncos tried to trade for him in March, but Kaepernick wasn’t willing to significantly cut his guaranteed salary. The market will be soft for Kaepernick in 2017, especially since plenty of owners will be inclined to shy away from Kaepernick due to his anthem protests — and will be able to do it because of the other options at the position.

• Like 1

Washington would be stupid to let Cousins test the market. They need to ink him to a long term deal - he has proven to be "the guy" by now. Bortles, on the other hand, looks horrendous but it's hard to imagine they'd give up on him after this year because he appeared to be be progressing last year.

• Like 2

RG3 is cleared to practice and could start when the Browns face the Bengals after week 13 bye. Not sure how much he'll audition for a starting job with any team, the Browns OL is a mess, they're not running the ball well, their receivers are mediocre and their defense is atrocious. And if he does audition much it could be to continue with the Browns.

Josh McCown should retire before he's eating meals through a straw.

Here's to hoping the Cardinals/Chiefs/Broncos pony up for Romo

Romo is not a better option than Carson. I love Romo, but we've worked hard to suck this bad this year. We better take a QB in the first round of the draft, and a receiver in the second.

We need our own Dak/Zeke pairing, but with a receiver instead of RB

Edited by Apothus

Romo is not a better option than Carson. I love Romo, but we've worked hard to suck this bad this year. We better take a QB in the first round of the draft, and a receiver in the second.

We need our own Dak/Zeke pairing, but with a receiver instead of RB

Who do you think they're going to take at 1 at QB?

Eta: I don't watch a ton of college football but I've heard that this coming QB draft class is weak.

D3 will be along to correct me if I'm wrong I imagine

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Who do you think they're going to take at 1 at QB?

Eta: I don't watch a ton of college football but I've heard that this coming QB draft class is weak.

D3 will be along to correct me if I'm wrong I imagine

There's a good number of solid QBs in this class. Better than last, IMO.

Just solid overall or solid at the top? Are there 2-3 guys like Goff/Wentz/Lynch that will all go in the first round, including top 5 picks?

I would say both. More depth and more star power. I think Goff/Wentz/Lynch were overhyped because they were simply the best (on paper) in the class. I think they - and Prescott, obviously - will be good, but this crop coming in is both uber-talented and possibly deeper. Some names to watch:

DeShone Kizer (Notre Dame): Super-fluid both as a runner and passer. Can throw deep with a great arm but also has incredible touch. 1st rounder for sure.

Mitch Trubisky (UNC): Unless you're a college football junky, this name is probably new to you. Has shot up the rankings. Has good size (albeit not as good as Kizer), but is very athletic. Accurate and doesn't make big mistakes. 2nd round grade, probably, but if there is a team with a need, I could see him going in the 1st.

DeShaun Watson (Clemson): He's a name everyone knows, but has actually been slipping. Been a little off this year. I'd say 2nd or 3rd round grade but if Kizer and Trubisky go high, I could see someone sliding into late 1st to get him, a la Teddy Bridgewater.

After the top 3, there are a host of other guys that could really be good: Davis Webb (Cal), Pat Mahomes (Texas Tech), Mason Rudolph (Okie St.), Seth Russell (Baylor), Luke Falk (Wazzou). These guys are all in spreads whose numbers may be misleading but pass the eye test.

And then there's yet another tier with guys with mad upside like: Kenny Hill (TCU), J.T. Barrett (Ohio St.), Josh Dobbs (Tennessee), Baker Mayfield (OU), Taysom Hill (BYU, should convert to WR/TE if he's smart), Tyler Stewart (Nevada) and Gunner Kiel (Cincinnati)

• Like 1

Mitch Trubisky went to Mentor High School which is about 10 minutes from our office. Lots of talk about the Browns taking the hometown kid with a later first round pick.

I dunno if he'll last into the later part of the 1st. I think he's gone by the middle of the 1st.

Thanks I D3 don't follow the college game but have seen those names in various discussions, including one article on the Plain Dealer with some guy (Doug Lesmerises) tracking the college players.

Loaf - that would be interesting, but I'm always afraid of the love afair Browns fans have with the local kids, Brady Quinn was one of the more recent ones, and then there's the "he's a Buckeye we have to draft him" crowd.

I don't think the Browns should use a high pick on a QB, their OL is a disaster and that player will be killed. Some combo of Kessler, RG3 & another vet should suffice until we're ready. But then people always say "you cannot pass on franchise QBs".

what I meant by "later" was not their first. They have 12 or 13 as well

That's a perfect spot for him. That said, I hear continued rumblings of Hue Jackson really liking Cody Kessler. Which is why they spent a ... what ... 3rd? on him in last draft.

That's a perfect spot for him. That said, I hear continued rumblings of Hue Jackson really liking Cody Kessler. Which is why they spent a ... what ... 3rd? on him in last draft.

He also likes RG3 and wants to see if he can do anything now that he's healthy (should be able to play week 14 vs. Bengals). Who knows, CLE is a mess and make make some desperate moves.

Living here in NC and having attended a few games, Mitch is one of the better pro QB's in this draft in my opinion. Probably a 1st round pick due to the average QB class. Good arm, looks to throw vs. run and has good vision. Went to the spring practice about 3 years ago and watched Mitch and the eventual starter Marquis Williams play. To me Mitch looked like the better QB hands down back then. He had to wait his turn but he could develop into a solid QB in the pros. Nice kid too.