[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gut feeling vs. Statistics/Common Sense

medalofhonor

This thread probably comes too late in the fantasy season, but atleast let's have it for the remainder of the season. I remember there was a similar thread here last season.

You would basically post what your gut is telling you to do vs. what the statistics/common sense is telling you to do with respect to starting/sitting players.

Let me start for this week.

Jay Ajayi. Up against the best run D. Common sense tells me to sit him with their O-line only partially back to full health. He could barely do anything against SF run D, there is no way he dominates the Ravens. Right ?

But I have a strong gut feeling to start him for some strange reason against the odds. The last time he was on my bench he ran for 200 yards.

Edited by medalofhonor

When you hit you can claim your gut feeling was right and when you miss you kick yourself for not paying attention to all the info/stats out there that said to sit that player (and the player you benched likely went off - Murphy's law). Vegas wins by playing the odds. You win your fantasy league the same way, not by playing hunches and gut feelings. I see two exceptions to this. One, when the odds are really tilted in your opponent's favor so maybe you start a high upside player or two, targeting certain players during your draft as the most current info/stats you have there are a season old.

Gut feeling is what caused me to start Kap over Wilson in one league, and Kap over Brady AND Stafford in another. Needless to say, I have indigestion today.

Kaep had been on a hugh roll and you couldn't really know the weather was going to be that bad. Riding the hot hand is completely understandable. It's not like you decided to start Kaep without supporting evidence.

• Like 1

My gut tells me to not play Allen Robinson against the Vikings Def. But stats wise he is projected to outscore my other option of Marcellus Bennett. I started Bennett last week over him because of Gronk being out. Bennett scored 0 points, Robinson scored 3 points. I lost by 2 points and lost a crucial game for playoff seeding.

I just know if I play Robinson, Bennett is going to go off and vice versa.

Ladarius Green is an interesting guy to discuss in this regard because the stats tell you two things - 1) The Steelers' schedule is friendly to TEs. 2) Green has almost no sample size from which to base future performance.

Green was probably on most benches last week when he went off for 6-110-1. Now owners have to ask themselves if that was a fluke or a sign of things to come. The stats seem somewhat inconclusive - positive schedule but limited opportunity to see Green in action. So you sort of have no choice but to go with your gut in his case. It gets difficult when you have good options at TE or flex because it's not just about stats/gut feel for one player but also the player that you are benching to make room for that player.

• Like 1

Ladarius Green is an interesting guy to discuss in this regard because the stats tell you two things - 1) The Steelers' schedule is friendly to TEs. 2) Green has almost no sample size from which to base future performance.

Green was probably on most benches last week when he went off for 6-110-1. Now owners have to ask themselves if that was a fluke or a sign of things to come. The stats seem somewhat inconclusive - positive schedule but limited opportunity to see Green in action. So you sort of have no choice but to go with your gut in his case. It gets difficult when you have good options at TE or flex because it's not just about stats/gut feel for one player but also the player that you are benching to make room for that player.

Gut and luck - with Gronk going down, I had acquired Green a few weeks ago, dumped him for Cook, but then played him again last week. Out of necessity, gut doesn't matter sometimes.

• Like 1