[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

H2H or Victory Points (or other) ranking system

Judge Smales

Curious what others do with league rankings out there for playoff positioning and seeding. In my main league been looking for a "more even" way to rank the teams.

We just play a 3 division 12 team league. Play everyone in your division twice and all others but 1 team once.

For the second year in the last few it looks like the 3rd best scoring team is not going make the playoffs and obviously they aren't pleased about it to lose out on the playoffs due to H2H tiebreakers. I know we could just make the first tiebreaker total points and tons of other changes, but wondering how many folks play in Victory Point or other ranking systems.

Any preferences on the other ranking systems out there to better even out some of the luck factor of H2H?

Curious what others do with league rankings out there for playoff positioning and seeding. In my main league been looking for a "more even" way to rank the teams.

We just play a 3 division 12 team league. Play everyone in your division twice and all others but 1 team once.

For the second year in the last few it looks like the 3rd best scoring team is not going make the playoffs and obviously they aren't pleased about it to lose out on the playoffs due to H2H tiebreakers. I know we could just make the first tiebreaker total points and tons of other changes, but wondering how many folks play in Victory Point or other ranking systems.

Any preferences on the other ranking systems out there to better even out some of the luck factor of H2H?

get rid of the divisions

Eta: 1st tie breaker is pts scored

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys
  • Like 1

I like the way that the FFPC and several other of the large "big money" leagues do their playoff seedings

First seed is best record (total points scored is first tiebreaker)

The second seed goes to the highest scoring team remaining

3rd seed goes to the best record of the teams not the 1st or 2nd seed

4th seed is highest scoring team of those not the 1 to 3 seed.

Can work it down from there if you have more than 4 playoff spots, but what this does is keeps the fun of a weekly head to head format and rewards those teams that do well in that, but also does not punish those teams that scored more throughout the season, but had bad luck in the scheduling.

As a matter of personal preference I generally do not like having divisions.

Points-scored can often be the result of one or two blow-up weeks, and not a real representation of true overall rankings. Our points leader in my 10-team league is actually 4th overall in terms of record. He is 1st in points because he had blow-up scores in Week 4 and Week 10. Other weeks, he was as average as they come.

If you play in a head-to-head league, and coaches plan each week to beat the team they are facing (sometimes, its better to go with a sure 10 points than a shoot-for-the moon flukey player that might get you 15), then you sgould use overall records to rank teams.

IMO

• Like 1

Points-scored can often be the result of one or two blow-up weeks, and not a real representation of true overall rankings. Our points leader in my 10-team league is actually 4th overall in terms of record. He is 1st in points because he had blow-up scores in Week 4 and Week 10. Other weeks, he was as average as they come.

If you play in a head-to-head league, and coaches plan each week to beat the team they are facing (sometimes, its better to go with a sure 10 points than a shoot-for-the moon flukey player that might get you 15), then you sgould use overall records to rank teams.

IMO

Thats why we do all play for the 6th team. Its a true reflection of a consistent team all year long. A team can lose their h2h game that week cause their opponent a fluke week but had the 2nd best total gor that week and could end up with 7 wins all play.

My league is pretty much the same as OP, the 3 division winners go, then the next 3 (wild cards) best based on record. We use division record as first tie breaker (for teams in the same divisoin) and then total points.

I think once recently one of the top 3 in points did not make the playoffs. They still won money that is divided by the top 3 in points (the pot is from our roster move fees, usually $300). We don't want to completely eliminate division records, or ignore the overall record because for us the H2H play and records are important. I could see making one playoff spot (say the final WC) based on total points or all play.

It happens pretty rarely so we have not made a change. I think if it happens frequently you'd see that team is scoring points in a few big weeks, otherwise they'd be good enough (record) to at least make it as a wild card.

Wish I could help you on the Victory Pants, but they got retired when the Royals won the World Series. All their power was used up, the magic gone.

The Victory Pants served me, and many others here, well.

They are now hanging in my garage in a shadowbox with my tickets and game towel from the World Series last year.

Wish I could help you on the Victory Pants, but they got retired when the Royals won the World Series. All their power was used up, the magic gone.

The Victory Pants served me, and many others here, well.

They are now hanging in my garage in a shadowbox with my tickets and game towel from the World Series last year.

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the victory pants and wondered how they could be involved.

How it is in my league:

14 team standard scoring. I would rather do 1/2 ppr next year. Anyway we all know each other so we wanted everyone to have a decent shot at making the playoffs so we pushed it to an 8 team playoff format. There are NO divisions, NO head to head tie breakers. The seedings are strictly from records and then points scored. That's it. Though everyone can see points against, it has no bearing.

Sorry, but FFL is mostly luck and if a guy who's 3rd in total points doesn't have enough wins to make it into the playoffs, he shouldn't be in the playoffs. Do the Saints get to the dance because they score a lot of points? Um No.

IMO H2H should be first tie breaker, and total points should only be the second tie breaker. Beat your opponent each week > whatever the score was.

Someone is wanting 1 v 6, 2 v 5, 3 v 7 and 4 v 8.

Don't see how that necessarily guarantees the 1 and 2 with an easier match up though. Its only 14 teams, do any of the top 3 scorers commonly not qualify for 1-6?

Don't see how that necessarily guarantees the 1 and 2 with an easier match up though. Its only 14 teams, do any of the top 3 scorers commonly not qualify for 1-6?

No, the top 3 scorers are almost always in the 1-5 seeds, it's when you get to the middle of the pack, where a 1 v 6 seed is probably better than a 1 v 8 seed.

This year, the 6th seed won the H2H tiebreaker against 4 other teams, but was 12th in total points on the year. As stated, I'm the 7th seed, and 5th in total points, losing that H2H tiebreaker for the 6th seed. Now, I play the #2 seed, and we are separated by a total of 3.2 points for the entire year.

We've had the 8 seed run the table in the playoffs about 35% of the time in the last 12-15 years.

Edited by gilthorp

Just to lay it out.

1st seed = 1st in points

2nd seed = 4th in points

3rd seed = 3rd in points

4th seed = 2nd in points

5th seed = 6th in points

6th seed = 12th in points

7th seed = 5th in points

8th seed = 7th in points

9th, 10th, 11th in points missed that 8th seed by 9, 16, and 26 respectively.

Edited by gilthorp

IMO

Do people really do this? Strange..... I typically play they guys I think will score the most points. But hey, to each their own.

Edited by Zooty
  • Like 1