[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish for 20 years. Finally Done.

CowboysDiehard

I built up a league over 20 years, and am finally done. Handling conflicts and protests over petty matters, dealing with bickering owners, really doesn't make any sense. I do this for recreation, and when I'm getting more stressed about what's happening in the league than I do over my job and day to day life, I know it's time for a change. I plan to see if any of the current owners want to step up, but it's highly doubtful. No need to delve into particulars, it just is what it is.

That said, I'm curious to know if anyone is aware of a third party or service that will run a league and wear the commissioner hat? Probably not, but before I throw in the towel on this thing, I figured I'd at least check...

That's too bad a few bad apples ... I agree somewhat with Darin that it's likely bad owners if you've run the league that long. I think we are between 15-20 years in the league I commish.

I've run into a few issues from time to time and a few owners "wore out their welcome" in my opinion and just weren't invited back. If you have a competitive core of owners I haven't found it too hard to find a replacement for them

Good luck to you and enjoy the time off

One of my owners is going to stand tall and carry forth next year. May God have mercy on his soul....

Before it got this bad did you ever ask somebody else to help out, be co-commish learn the ropes from you and then take over?

I've been co-commish in my long time local (and only league) for probably over 20 years now. Nobody has ever offered to help and when we've asked about it there is silence. (Suggested at one draft we rotate through, league winner is co-commish and one of us 2 get the year off, alternating.)

longer story ;)

The guy who started it was working with me, he had played with some HS/college friends, thought a league with some guys from work and some of his friends would be fun. Wanted to know if i wanted to help out. This was back in the manual stats days, spreadsheets & USA Today, Monday Nights spend entering the stats (we both did them and then compared to for mistakes). For years we have both felt less enthusiastic, especially for several years when we had a new and difficult owner who "wanted to stretch the boundaries of the league". We've always asked for a volunteer to replace or rotate with one of us, nothing but silence. If my friend wanted out I would quit too, half these guys are his friends and I only see them at drafts. Heck several of our owners from work no longer work here either.

I don't think the other owners are bad, they just don't want to spend any time or energy other than on their own team (some do little of that). They don't think a commish does much, but if you ask for help they have excuses.

• Like 1

Before it got this bad did you ever ask somebody else to help out, be co-commish learn the ropes from you and then take over?

I've been co-commish in my long time local (and only league) for probably over 20 years now. Nobody has ever offered to help and when we've asked about it there is silence. (Suggested at one draft we rotate through, league winner is co-commish and one of us 2 get the year off, alternating.)

longer story ;)

The guy who started it was working with me, he had played with some HS/college friends, thought a league with some guys from work and some of his friends would be fun. Wanted to know if i wanted to help out. This was back in the manual stats days, spreadsheets & USA Today, Monday Nights spend entering the stats (we both did them and then compared to for mistakes). For years we have both felt less enthusiastic, especially for several years when we had a new and difficult owner who "wanted to stretch the boundaries of the league". We've always asked for a volunteer to replace or rotate with one of us, nothing but silence. If my friend wanted out I would quit too, half these guys are his friends and I only see them at drafts. Heck several of our owners from work no longer work here either.

I don't think the other owners are bad, they just don't want to spend any time or energy other than on their own team (some do little of that). They don't think a commish does much, but if you ask for help they have excuses.

You pretty much summed up my league. There is one owner who is the cause of 99% of my headaches. He's been there since day one, however, and actually brought in half the players we have now over the years. I don't want to kick him out, but he just cannot seem to tone it down. At one time, I also ran a baseball league for several years. We lost a couple of owners and I didn't bother to try and replace them, I let the league die. This guy was in the league, I couldn't handle dealing with him as an owner basically 10 months out of the year.

Thing is, outside of the league, it's all good. We get along great. But the whole 'shark' schtick really wears me down by the end of every season. Everything that happens in the league is dissected for 'fairness'. It really gets old.

• Like 1

Work leagues are fun, which is the one I run. Even though a lot are my friends, if they leave of our company and are out of the building, i take them out of the league the next year. Half of the fun is being able to see everyone in the league 5x a week and talk crap to each other. That sucks what's happened in your league, especially considering you've run it for 20 years. You'd think the other owners would respect that and try to keep it going.

The local I started up is in it's 15th year. I really now just enjoy our live draft shenanigans. I don't usually have any issues other than chasing a few people down for their fees. I think I'm going to try and split up the commish duties next year. It's become quite the grind.

The local I started up is in it's 15th year. I really now just enjoy our live draft shenanigans. I don't usually have any issues other than chasing a few people down for their fees. I think I'm going to try and split up the commish duties next year. It's become quite the grind.

We finally put in a rule about losing control of your team progessively if your fee is late. There is really no excuse for it, but one year we had an owner dragging his feet on paying some fees, and giving the commish a hard time even saying once "its not a lot of money what is the big deal" Well duh that is what we're wondering, WTF just pay it. No problems since.

• Like 1

I turned in my resignation from my post this time last year. I was doing way too much.

A few guys stepped up but we'll see how it goes through pay outs.

I will still input rosters during the live draft, but it was a drain from an administrative perspective. Did it for 8 years after the last guy had enough.

My 20 year league fell apart this year as well. It began to die last year when we had to convert from a 10 team league to a 12 team league. This year it finally took it's last breathe as we couldn't fill out even 10 teams and nobody tried to find replacement owners.

Ouch :(

I turned in my resignation from my post this time last year. I was doing way too much.

A few guys stepped up but we'll see how it goes through pay outs.

I will still input rosters during the live draft, but it was a drain from an administrative perspective. Did it for 8 years after the last guy had enough.

I hear you there. It takes a full day after the draft to input the live draft picks and set up everything. The schedule, because it has to be 'fair' needs a doubleheader during a non-bye week to make sure everyone plays everyone at least once for the h2h aspect, and that they have a full roster when doing so. That means I run a random schedule, then sit down with a rubric I made up to pick off the teams that aren't h2h in that schedule and program them into the DH week. I'm pretty sure the fellow who's taking over for me doesn't know I do stuff like this.

:huh: You know you can just run leagues on Yahoo, right? Even if you do a live, off-line in-person draft.... :shrug:

I don't get why "long-standing" leagues suddenly just fold. I understand that some folks are "old school" and like to do things "their way", but one would think that even those types of people would concede to handling league business online in order to preserve the league.

My first league was with a bunch of guys that'd been doing it since the late 80's, early 90's. They started as a 4-man league, basically just picking which players would score the most TDs. It morphed into a 10-team league that is still going to this day. Back when I was in it, everything was done by FAX (lol) and phone. We had a commish (I did it one year), who would take all the reported data (each team would turn in his and his opponent's weekly score -- USA Today was the bible) and compile it into a weekly report and manage the spreadsheet with each team's roster, adds/drops, etc. It wasn't too daunting and there were like 4-5 guys that were good at being commish and we just rotated. The other guys in the league would host the drafts, pay for food, etc.

I'm no longer in the league but it's still going and those guys have gone online. If they can, anyone can. So... yeah. :shrug:

I always include one really hot girl in all my leagues. There still might be drama but the leagues will never fold from lack of owners.

HAHAHA I am literally laughing out loud because, as funny as that is, I can completely believe it! I'll bet everyone manages to attend the live draft too. :)