[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ZERO RB strategy

Bronco Steve_85

Before this year I disliked running backs very much. I used to find them boring to watch, as I felt running into a bunch of dudes and making 2 yards progress was stupid. It was much more exciting to watch the ball sail through the air and the players launching themselves up/out to catch it.

That was up until I had Julio, OBJ, Nelson, and a plethora of others suck for weeks at fantasy. Somehow though I was still winning games. David Johnson, Zeke, Blount, they carried my seasons this year.

I'll definitely draft RB heavy next year

I have traditionally drafted wide receiver heavy. Aside from this year, there have always been 3 to 5 running backs who I would be willing to take at the beginning of the 1st round. True stud running backs usually score more than the top wide receivers. I have virtually never drafted running backs from end of the first round through the 3rd round. That is bust territory.

Edited by michaelredd9

I waited until the 4th round in one of my locals before I picked a RB. I went 9-5 and won my division. In another, I took AP in the 1st (he was bad enough not to count right?), Charles in the 4th, Anderson in the 5th, & Simms in the 7th. Somehow, this team is 11-2 going into the final week of the regular season.

I'm 11-2 and 2nd in total PF in Hannibals BOTH league. 3 man mandatory keeper, PPR, TD's = 6. My keepers were A. Brown, D. Hopkins and J. Landry. All draft picks over the years. I used my 1st rounder (4th rd. in all practical purposes)to grab Fitz. Then grabbed D. Williams so I actually had a RB for 3 weeks, then D. Carr to solidify my QB position, then went TE in Ertz before I filled out my roster with some surprises (R. Mathews) and the rest RB duds and cast off's such as Duke Johnson, Charles Simms, TJ Yeldon and Alfred Morris. Added D. Lewis midway through the season but he's been a letdown.

Depends on the league of course. I am in a league that you start 6 flex players (0.5 ppr)

Was lucky 1 Johnson 2 L Bell 3 Mccoy 4 Cooks (sucks sort of) 5 J Hill 6th J Stewart 7 Ware and 8th I got Matt Ryan

Obvious I have had a good year.

Running backs were hit or miss. I got 1st Gurley 2 Allan Robinson went 6-7 missed the playoffs.

btw i know his line is not good, but i think Gurley is very over rated. I find it hard to believe that a top running back would not have broken at least one long run this year in LA. Hurley just runs right in the o-line a lot. Just my opinion

I kept Doug Martin who was and is a waste. Then I went for Wr's Cooper, another waste, Marshall= waste. I did pretty well but got screwed just enough to miss out o the playoffs. What really sucks is that we paly divisions and my record is better than any of the other division leaders: none of them have a winning record. In my division we all have winning records.

I kept Doug Martin who was and is a waste. Then I went for Wr's Cooper, another waste, Marshall= waste. I did pretty well but got screwed just enough to miss out o the playoffs. What really sucks is that we paly divisions and my record is better than any of the other division leaders: none of them have a winning record. In my division we all have winning records.

As a side note, I really don't care for divisions in FF. The leagues where we don't have them are much better.

• Like 1

Drafting Abdullah, Jones, Coleman, Rob Kelly, and Wendell Smallwood...picking up Lewis and DuJuan Harris for a week or two.

The WR's helped me get in, but there is no hope for a championship, but for other reasons.

In my local, I would do it again since we only have to start 1 RB.

Folks that went 0 RB, and got a little Gordon or Ajayi are very happy.

I honestly can't say. I drafted Gurley and AP in my first 2 rounds. Obviously that didn't work out but out of the 16 players I initially drafted, I ended up with 2 of them going into week 14 (Week 1 of playoffs). I've been playing FF for about 6-7 years now and I almost always go RB for the first 2 rounds unless there is a WR still in the 2nd who I just can't pass up.

If you drafted RB early and hit i.e David Johnson, or drafted WR early and hit i.e Julio or Odell, you will use that to validate your preconceived notion or RB or WR early is better.

If you drafted Gurley early or a Robinson or even a Deandre Hopkins early, you will use that to invalidate your previous notion and change your mind because clearly RB first sucks or WR first sucks because it didn't work.

No matter what position it is you take early, it comes down to hitting on the individual player that performs close to expectation and escapes injury while also finding a couple players later on in the draft that perform above expectation.

• Like 6

Honest question... Does anybody that followed this strategy feel like it worked out for you?

I took David Johnson with the 2nd pick in 3 different leagues over OBJ and Julio and am very glad that I did that

I went zero WR strategy with Zeke, DJ, and DeMarco. I pretty much lapped the field in total points. Was able to pair DJ and Zeke due to a keeper situation, I'll have to let one go next year. DeMarco I chose over Ty Hilton.

QB was Cousins. WR has been a musical chair situation between Landry, J Mathews, and Devonte Adams.

TE is Fleener...ick...but Fiedorowicz has been OK pick me up. Pitta and some other bums came and went.

Edited by CowboysDiehard

I was going to go with a zero RB draft (WR/WR/WR), but DJ fell to me at #8 in PPR so I couldn't pass up that situation, even if there was a small sample size. You'll always be behind on landing that breakout candidate if you don't take a little bit of a risk. I still drafted 3 WR's in the subsequent rounds, but got Gordon in the 5th. Suffice to say it's been my RB's (DJ/Gordon) that have taken me to 10-3 and first in my league.

If you drafted RB early and hit i.e David Johnson, or drafted WR early and hit i.e Julio or Odell, you will use that to validate your preconceived notion or RB or WR early is better.

If you drafted Gurley early or a Robinson or even a Deandre Hopkins early, you will use that to invalidate your previous notion and change your mind because clearly RB first sucks or WR first sucks because it didn't work.

No matter what position it is you take early, it comes down to hitting on the individual player that performs close to expectation and escapes injury while also finding a couple players later on in the draft that perform above expectation.

So you're saying being lucky is still important ;)

• Like 1

I'm not going by preconceived notions, I'm going by what I see. Hindsight will always be 20/20. I drafted OBJ as the 2nd pick and did well, but only an imbecile would go back in time and still draft OBJ as the 2nd pick over DJ or Zeke. It worked out for me, but it doesn't validate anything for me. It worked out for me with a LOT of luck involved.

I avoided a RB till round 8. Finished 2nd in season points (14 points from winning it), 1st round playoff exit. Not having a strong RB killed me today. My 1st 10 rounds in my main 10-team ppr local went like this:

A Brown

M Evans

A Jeffery

D Moncrief (flx)

C Newton

R Cobb (flx)

T Kelce

F Gore

D Johnson Jr

I Crowell

Next year I will surely lock up a more favorable RB (probably 2) early on. I will also wait in taking a QB until some backups start getting drafted.