[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owner Dying, but hasn't paid fee for the year

The 13ers

I was just wondering about opinions about a subject I don't see too often.

I am a commish of a league that's been around for 17 years.

I have a guy who has been a member for most of those years. He usually sends check for his league fee, since he lives so far away, but this year he never did.

So I found out he has cancer and he is probably dying; at least that's what it appears to be happening when I view his Facebook account.

So is it crass to request him to pay, since his season is now done? Am I overthinking this?

I've tried to contact him and his nephew, who is also in the league, several times over this season and last and neither is getting back to me. I let it go a while back after I found out he has the Big C.

On a side note, the nephew never collected his winnings from last year. I don't have a phone number or address and like I said before, he never responds to my emails. Do I take the league fee owed out of that?

I want to be sympathetic to his situation, but I also have an obligation to 11 other owners.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I think you and the other owners can eat whatever the fee is. And send the winnings to either the nephew or the guy's home. I'm sure they could use the money right now. Donate this years fees and winnings as well. If your league is that cutthroat maybe you should reevaluate life.

• Like 8

Very tough situation, sounds like the nephew has been absentee (or unresponsive) going back to end of last year (you couldn't get his winnings). Wonder why you never had phone/address for the nephew for better communication. How long has the uncle known he has cancer and is dying, was it before the draft?

I don't see anything wrong with trying to collect the fee from the uncle or taking it from the nephew's winnings from last year.

Sounds like some here are suggesting the winner of your league forego their money and donate it, or maybe they think the uncle won, otherwise this makes no sense " Donate this years fees and winnings as well." I love how willing people are to donate other people's time/money.

PS I strongly urge you to make sure you have a good address and/or phone# for all members of your league. Email, facebook or whatever method is being used is obviously not working for these 2 people.

• Like 1

SteveGrab, I used to work with the nephew years and years ago.

I've asked several times over the years for updated addresses and phone numbers and usually get zip for responses. So, I took it if they want it, they'll come get it.

If the owner wins, they usually come over to my house for $$.

As far as the negative comments. I just want to know what others have done in the same situation. Sheesh.

• Like 1

Wow you sound horrible to think of asking someone who is DYING to pay a few for a fantasy football league. Really dude? Is this even a serious question? The right thing would be to send all the money (fees, winnings, etc) from this year and the money his nephew won last year to him to help pay for medical bills he probably has. I mean thats if you are an actual human being rather than a person debating over where to charge a dying man money for something that won't matter to him soon (hopefully not). I cannot believe you are even asking this question this has got to be fake, if not then shame on you as you shouldn't even have to ask what to do to know what the right thing is to do.

Edited by nyjets18
  • Like 4

Yes, I'm sure the winner will just be so worse off without probably $200-$400 dollars. Surely his life will be far worse than a man dying.

I'd imagine if he has been with the league for close to 17 years that most know him as more than a team name and maybe a friend.

Might as well show up at his funeral and take it out of any donations they received. I know this is a difficult time for your family but "bob" owes us $25 for fantasy football.

• Like 2

Wow you sound horrible to think of asking someone who is DYING to pay a few for a fantasy football league. Really dude? Is this even a serious question? The right thing would be to send all the money (fees, winnings, etc) from this year and the money his nephew won last year to him to help pay for medical bills he probably has. I mean thats if you are an actual human being rather than a person debating over where to charge a dying man money for something that won't matter to him soon (hopefully not). I cannot believe you are even asking this question this has got to be fake, if not then shame on you as you shouldn't even have to ask what to do to know what the right thing is to do.

This 1000 percent. Just wow.

• Like 2

I was just wondering about opinions about a subject I don't see too often.

I am a commish of a league that's been around for 17 years.

I have a guy who has been a member for most of those years. He usually sends check for his league fee, since he lives so far away, but this year he never did.

So I found out he has cancer and he is probably dying; at least that's what it appears to be happening when I view his Facebook account.

So is it crass to request him to pay, since his season is now done? Am I overthinking this?

I've tried to contact him and his nephew, who is also in the league, several times over this season and last and neither is getting back to me. I let it go a while back after I found out he has the Big C.

On a side note, the nephew never collected his winnings from last year. I don't have a phone number or address and like I said before, he never responds to my emails. Do I take the league fee owed out of that?

I want to be sympathetic to his situation, but I also have an obligation to 11 other owners.

Thanks.

I would inform the league and see if the league as a whole would be open to eating his entry fee for obvious reasons. Some things are bigger than FF.

• Like 1

I'm also of the mind to just waive his fee for the year and adjust the payouts appropriately for the missing amount which seems simple and drama free. Donating the league money to him is nice in theory, but that should definitely be a group decision by the entire league and is not just on you.

• Like 1

I'm also of the mind to just waive his fee for the year and adjust the payouts appropriately for the missing amount which seems simple and drama free. Donating the league money to him is nice in theory, but that should definitely be a group decision by the entire league and is not just on you.

This. I agree donating the money is nice, but this seems like the best/hassle free solution.

this... if he is a good guys and good owner, maybe name the trophy or league after him.

• Like 2