[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gates and the TE touchdown record

pegos

Chargers are out of it, nothing left to play for except the accomplish the stated goal of getting Gates the TE touchdown title in 2016.

I have Hunter Henry, but my opponent in the championship game just dropped Gates and he'all clear waivers in time for Saturday's game. I already have a claim in, but I may still struggle with the decision on which one to start against the Browns. Gotta be Gates, right? I can see the Chargers and Rivers giving him every opportunity in the Red Zone to get those TD's he needs in case this is his last year.

What do you guys think?

(Advice thread, but also speculation thread on expectations for Chargers vs Browns game. Should be fun to watch)

The Browns give up 20+ (usually 25 or more) points a game, 3-4 TDs. They are not good in the red zone, and are equally susceptible to the pass (all positions) or run. I'd give Gates the nod over Henry for the TDs.

Gates needs 2 TDs, they can probably get 1 hear, and then they'd need one in KC the final week. (Gates could also return for one more year, play very sparingly all season and break the record then. Retire a Chargers great, and certain HOF inductee (first ballot maybe).

Yeah I saw that he's in the 2 year contract, but only half is guaranteed. Surely he realizes his body is no longer cooperating. He takes care of the record this year and he can ride off into the sunset... I can see the chargers only playing for Gates TD's on Saturday cause they will have a much tougher go at it against the Chiefs in the final game.

Yeah I saw that he's in the 2 year contract, but only half is guaranteed. Surely he realizes his body is no longer cooperating. He takes care of the record this year and he can ride off into the sunset... I can see the chargers only playing for Gates TD's on Saturday cause they will have a much tougher go at it against the Chiefs in the final game.

Gordon is also unlikely to play, so that could help.

I don't doubt they'll try hard to get him the 2 TDs today, to tie, or 3 to break it. But I wonder if they'll risk losing to the winless Browns to get there (e.g. multiple attempts on a single goal to go situation).

Ugghhhh and I put Hunter Henry in my starting lineup. It's either him or Pitta.

While I prefer Pitta over Henry (in PPR formats), I did grab and start Henry in a league where I was presently starting Fleener and thought Henry would be a nice risk/reward pick against the Browns.

I think Gates will get the record, but it'll be sometime next year. They'll keep him around to continue grooming Henry and that'll last into the 2017 season.

Cleveland is terrible, Chargers going nowhere, so they will mix in both TEs this weekend I'd imagine.

• Like 1

While I prefer Pitta over Henry (in PPR formats), I did grab and start Henry in a league where I was presently starting Fleener and thought Henry would be a nice risk/reward pick against the Browns.

I think Gates will get the record, but it'll be sometime next year. They'll keep him around to continue grooming Henry and that'll last into the 2017 season.

Cleveland is terrible, Chargers going nowhere, so they will mix in both TEs this weekend I'd imagine.

The problem is they are both hit or miss. It's like hitting a moving target. This is a championship, so I need to think my decision out. It's even more complicated because I'm starting Rivers and considering Tyrell Williams.

The problem is they are both hit or miss. It's like hitting a moving target. This is a championship, so I need to think my decision out. It's even more complicated because I'm starting Rivers and considering Tyrell Williams.

True, but against CLE the target may appear larger. :D

That said, if I had Rivers and Williams in my starting lineup I would need to really feel like rollin' the ol' dice to play Henry (or Gates for that matter) as well.

Needs 2 to tie and 3 for the record with 2 games to play.

I think he will need to come back next year as a minimum salary, part time player to get it. Can retire after the first 3 games or whatever.

Cleveland can be scored on, just doubt they can get all 3 in this game.

Final week is the Chiefs, whom own that same TD record with Gonzo. They would just blanket Gates to ensure he doesn't get it on them.

Needs 2 to tie and 3 for the record with 2 games to play.

I think he will need to come back next year as a minimum salary, part time player to get it. Can retire after the first 3 games or whatever.

Cleveland can be scored on, just doubt they can get all 3 in this game.

Final week is the Chiefs, whom own that same TD record with Gonzo. They would just blanket Gates to ensure he doesn't get it on them.

They will never do this. They want to win. Gates is a ghost. A pesky one, but a ghost nontheless. He may score but that is not how SD wins. The Chiefs win if Gates is the answer. He isn't.

Edited by boltnlava

They will never do this. They want to win. Gates is a ghost. A pesky one, but a ghost nontheless. He may score but that is not how SD wins. The Chiefs win if Gates is the answer. He isn't.

Besides KC will have playoff seeding at play in that final week most likley, 5 seed will face AFC South(HOU or TEN) 6 seed faces AFC North (PIT or BAL), pretty sure they'd rather face the much weaker team than worry about Gates passing Gonzo's TD record.

Actually, one of the beat writers for the Chargers said there is sentiment in the organization to get him the record but that game situation will dictate what happens. If they build a lead they will feed him...if they have a big lead and their in the RZ they'll throw it to him on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down...but it all comes down to game situation...additionally, knowing he probably gets RZ looks is a ding against Farrow's upside this week.

Actually, one of the beat writers for the Chargers said there is sentiment in the organization to get him the record but that game situation will dictate what happens. If they build a lead they will feed him...if they have a big lead and their in the RZ they'll throw it to him on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down...but it all comes down to game situation...additionally, knowing he probably gets RZ looks is a ding against Farrow's upside this week.

Farrows upside is already limited by his lack of talent. They have no running game without Gordon. Even with him it wasn't that great. Sentiment doesn't feed the pitbull. Lucky for KC there are very few pitbulls in SD...I guess we'll see. There will be no big lead for either team and it will be a dog fight imo.. KC wins due to more pitbulls

Farrows upside is already limited by his lack of talent. They have no running game without Gordon. Even with him it wasn't that great. Sentiment doesn't feed the pitbull. Lucky for KC there are very few pitbulls in SD...I guess we'll see. There will be no big lead for either team and it will be a dog fight imo.. KC wins due to more pitbulls

Lol boltnlava. You're a game ahead, we're talking chargers/browns here, so calm down lmao

This

Sorry. Your'e right I skipped one lol....Fans in SD ALMOST don't care anymore...sad really. I forgot about the Browns and that should say a lot about what it's like here in the land of sun (just not lately). The Browns got thier team back. San Diego never will. I know I will miss them... just not for a few years. Farrow still suxors though and I would not trust him to do much if anything. The ding on Farrow will be if he gets you 5 or 6 pts. That's it. Gates is a strong afterthought and will get the record..eventually. Who's to say if this year or next? Hunter is open more...at least that's what I've seen (Full games for Chargers and RZ for all others fyi). still :doh: lol.. forgot what team is next week. WoW.

Sorry. Your'e right I skipped one lol....Fans in SD ALMOST don't care anymore...sad really. I forgot about the Browns and that should say a lot about what it's like here in the land of sun (just not lately). The Browns got thier team back. San Diego never will. I know I will miss them... just not for a few years. Farrow still suxors though and I would not trust him to do much if anything. The ding on Farrow will be if he gets you 5 or 6 pts. That's it. Gates is a strong afterthought and will get the record..eventually. Who's to say if this year or next? Hunter is open more...at least that's what I've seen (Full games for Chargers and RZ for all others fyi). still :doh: lol.. forgot what team is next week. WoW.

It's not that we don't care. I think the overwhelming consensus of Charger fans is this: Stop holding us hostage Dean and move. Have fun sharing a NFL fan base with the Rams while competing with the NBA,NHL and MLB. Oh I can't forget MLS who will outsell them it ticket sales. Basically he will be moving into a market where the Chargers will be AT BEST 10th in ratings in the local sports market.

I'm tired of the threats. Go ahead and move. Enjoy

It's not that we don't care. I think the overwhelming consensus of Charger fans is this: Stop holding us hostage Dean and move. Have fun sharing a NFL fan base with the Rams while competing with the NBA,NHL and MLB. Oh I can't forget MLS who will outsell them it ticket sales. Basically he will be moving into a market where the Chargers will be AT BEST 10th in ratings in the local sports market.

I'm tired of the threats. Go ahead and move. Enjoy

Sounds like apathy to me. Those I talk to say they don't care anymore and are showing it by not showing up, selling thier tix, or not buying seats at Qualcomm cemetery. :what: Either way it's over now. :shrug:

:shocking: How dare you?