[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League: Expansion Format?

RowdyRoos

Season ends this week and as a league we are looking to expand from 8 to 10 teams. We've been together with this league for 4 years and next will be our 5th. A good friend of the group and a brother-in-law are joining us next year. Seeking thoughts on how to handle the expansion the fairest and most appropriate way.

Our keeper system is slightly tilted towards a semi-dynasty league.

Keeper structure is as follows: We drafted and then...

Keep 2 after year 1

Keep 3 after year 2

Keep 4 after year 3

Keep 5 after year 4

Keep 4 after year 5

Keep 3 after year 6

Keep 2 after year 7

...then repeat in that ladder style.

So we will be at the point where we keep 5 players.

The proposal so far has been to have the original 8 teams designate 4 keepers. Then have the 2 expansion teams alternate selections (via coin toss for pick position) going Team A, Team B, Team B, Team A, Team A, Team B, Team B, Team A. The original 8 teams can only have 1 player picked from their roster. So each team will have 1 player selected from the expansion teams. Then the original 8 get to select their 5th keeper.

For the draft we are currently leaning this way:

The 1st pick is determined by the winner of the consolation bracket and so that selection will be protected to that team. From there we are proposing that the remaining 3 teams from the consolation group and the 2 expansion teams will be drawn for draft positions 2-6. The expansion teams will also receive a compensatory pick at spots 11 & 12 at the end of round 1 to bring their roster size to 6 as other teams at this point as well...those picks to be determined by coin toss.

Has anyone went through a similar expansion process with successes or lessons learned? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

new owners are getting screwed. haven't been involved in expansion so can't advise from that standpoint but i would think you'd have to do something like 2 (max) protected keepers from expansion draft. i can see existing owners having some objection to that, esp ones that have strong 3rd keepers but otherwise new owners are really getting short end of the stick. if an owner loses a keeper maybe they need to be compensated with some type of draft pick.

Edited by Jackass

We did an expansion from 12 to 16 (since back to 12) some years ago in a 5 player keeper (same every year), I forget the details but think we did something like protected 2-3 then if you had a player picked you could protect another player. I think this was around the same time of some NFL expansion (Browns in 99) and we looked to what they were doing for an example.

Your current plan means these 2 new teams will miss out on the top 32 players (4 keepers on 8 teams) and that's pretty substantial for a keeper league.

We did an expansion from 12 to 16 (since back to 12) some years ago in a 5 player keeper (same every year), I forget the details but think we did something like protected 2-3 then if you had a player picked you could protect another player. I think this was around the same time of some NFL expansion (Browns in 99) and we looked to what they were doing for an example.

Your current plan means these 2 new teams will miss out on the top 32 players (4 keepers on 8 teams) and that's pretty substantial for a keeper league.

League I was in did something similar to this when expanding from 10 to 12 teams.

Each of the initial 10 teams got to protect 2 players. Expansion teams picked as describer above - Team A, then B for two, etc.

As an original team, if one of your players was taken by the expansion teams, you got to protect another player from your roster. If a second player was taken, you protected 2 more.

That league also did a lottery for the bottom 3 teams to determine the draft order for the top 3 picks (picks 4-10 were based on finish the previous season, top 3 picks were lottery for the bottom 3 teams). I don't recall what we as a league ended up doing off the top of my head, but the two proposals on the table were either to slot the expansion teams into the 4th and 5th picks (whomever picked first in expansion picked 5th in regular draft) and still did the lottery for the top 3, then the other teams were slotted in 6-12 based on finish, or if we added the expansion teams to the lottery with the same odds as the 3rd to last team (i.e, we put the last place teams name in the hat 5 times, the 2nd to last in 3 times, and the other 3 teams in one time and drew for draft order)

Going from 8 to 10, you may be able to get away with having the original teams protect 3 players each (theoretically top 24 players) but then I would give the top 2 picks in the draft to the expansion teams to help even it out a bit.

No matter what there is no true "fair" way to do it.

Edited by Big Country