[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Melvin Gordon a Top 7 RB going into 2017?

Papa Deuce

If Woodhead doesn't become a FA, then Gordon's workload will be limited.

He would be a top 7 RB but he would be 7th. I would still draft the likes of McCoy and Howard over him if Woodhead stays in San Diego. But that's just me.

I know some people would even draft Ajayi ahead of Gordon in that scenario.

• Like 1

If Woodhead doesn't become a FA, then Gordon's workload will be limited.

He would be a top 7 RB but he would be 7th. I would still draft the likes of McCoy and Howard over him if Woodhead stays in San Diego. But that's just me.

I know some people would even draft Ajayi ahead of Gordon in that scenario.

Next year is definitely looking good for RBs.

• Like 1

This is the top 5 to me as things stand right now, even if Woodhead is back.

LeVeon Bell

David Johnson

Ezekiel Elliot

Melvin Gordon

LeSean McCoy

I don't think the passing game work would go back to a 2015 like split. Gordon will still see a good amount of passing game work I'd think. The chargers are real invested in Gordon, and having a change of pace back will reduce injury risk so that would even out the negatives a bit. Woodhead is almost 32 now and will be coming off a torn acl, for what it's worth.

Plus, I think the chargers are very likely to address their offensive line over the offseason so that should help his yards per carry increase. He was already averaging 19.2 fantasy ppg this year at 3.9 yards per carry. If that were up at 5.0 yards per carry instead, he would've averaged 21.7 ppg, which would be basically just as good as Elliot.

This is the top 5 to me as things stand right now, even if Woodhead is back.

LeVeon Bell

David Johnson

Ezekiel Elliot

Melvin Gordon

LeSean McCoy

Hmmm....Bell over DJ? I think I would put DJ, Zeke, Bell, McCoy, and then Ajayi.

BTW. Congratulations on the championship!

Bell and DJ are basically even to me but as players and imo there are fine reasons to prefer either for fantasy. But for me:

- Possibility of TD regression for DJ (and some possibility for progression(?) (not the right word) for Bell). Look at Bell's TD rate the past 7 games compared to the first 5, compared to DJ's

- Possibility DJ gets less targets if/when their WRs go back to normal

(Martavis returning does diminish some of Bell's potential for TD "progression" and could also cause him to see less targets, but I still think it's more of a concern with DJ)

- PIT has a top 5 offensive line and Bell is (maybe, hard to say obviously) a better runner (compare ypa), while ARI offensive line is maybe a bit above average when healthy

- Bell has better QB situation and better offensive situation overall, less likely to get Gurley'd. I don't see Ben getting worse next year, but tbh if he were to (as long as he doesn't tank), that'd benefit Bell.

- I think Bell's injury risk is overblown

And I doubt he'd get suspended midseason. If he were suspended pre-draft that'd obviously bump him from #1 for me

Bell and DJ are basically even to me but as players and imo there are fine reasons to prefer either for fantasy. But for me:

- Possibility of TD regression for DJ (and some possibility for progression(?) (not the right word) for Bell). Look at Bell's TD rate the past 7 games compared to the first 5, compared to DJ's

- Possibility DJ gets less targets if/when their WRs go back to normal

(Martavis returning does diminish some of Bell's potential for TD "progression" and could also cause him to see less targets, but I still think it's more of a concern with DJ)

- PIT has a top 5 offensive line and Bell is (maybe, hard to say obviously) a better runner (compare ypa), while ARI offensive line is maybe a bit above average when healthy

- Bell has better QB situation and better offensive situation overall, less likely to get Gurley'd. I don't see Ben getting worse next year, but tbh if he were to (as long as he doesn't tank), that'd benefit Bell.

- I think Bell's injury risk is overblown

And I doubt he'd get suspended midseason. If he were suspended pre-draft that'd obviously bump him from #1 for me

Great points. Even with Arizona's inconsistent offense DJ has tied the record for 100 yard games from scrimmage in a season AND can break the record today. With no record of injuries or disciplinary issues, and half the mileage I would still take DJ over Bell. In all honesty, we're arguing over a Lamborghini vs Ferrari and I think we'll be happy if either landed to us in a draft.

• Like 1

Great points. Even with Arizona's inconsistent offense DJ has tied the record for 100 yard games from scrimmage in a season AND can break the record today. With no record of injuries or disciplinary issues, and half the mileage I would still take DJ over Bell. In all honesty, we're arguing over a Lamborghini vs Ferrari and I think we'll be happy if either landed to us in a draft.

Palmer didn't have a very good yr, is he going to be back next yr? If not, who will be their QB?

The David Johnson injury looks really, really bad. I'm not even a Cardinals fan but HOW MUCH OF A EFFING IDIOT IS BRUCE ARIANS?!!?! I'd want to fire his ass for putting your 2nd year, once in a generation type talent into a meaningless game against the RAMS, and potentially ruining his career.

The David Johnson injury looks really, really bad. I'm not even a Cardinals fan but HOW MUCH OF A EFFING IDIOT IS BRUCE ARIANS?!!?! I'd want to fire his ass for putting your 2nd year, once in a generation type talent into a meaningless game against the RAMS, and potentially ruining his career.

I think DJ wanted the record. It doesn't excuse it, but it is understandable.

• Like 2

these guys are paid to play football. Guys don't rest because they're out of the playoffs when they're healthy
  • Like 2

these guys are paid to play football. Guys don't rest because they're out of the playoffs when they're healthy

This also. I mean seriously, if he didn't play, how many people would be complaining?!?! If they were in the playoffs, I can understand. With that mentality, many of our fantasy studs would've stopped playing around week 12.

Of course, and this is just kind of a visceral reaction, but not one that's because I needed him for a week 17 game or anything. You also have to protect your investments though at the same time. They have been out of the playoffs for weeks, and this game was meaningless, plus it's the Rams. They could have seen what Ellington still has left in the tank, or their other RB's

Of course, and this is just kind of a visceral reaction, but not one that's because I needed him for a week 17 game or anything. You also have to protect your investments though at the same time. They have been out of the playoffs for weeks, and this game was meaningless, plus it's the Rams. They could have seen what Ellington still has left in the tank, or their other RB's

meh

It was an ignorant statement to say the least, I guess now every NFL team with a possible future long term player should rest them once they're out of the playoffs. If that were the case the Browns Joe Thomas (OT who has never missed a snap and is a Pro Bowler every year) would have played in about 10 games each season (sitting once they're eliminated from playoffs).

And if he doesn't get hurt you wouldn't be saying any of this. It is stupid to think that players should sit once a team is out of playoff contention to protect an investment. If he was injured already that would make sense. Like AJ Green who the Bengals IRed and wouldn't let him return, ending his streak of 1000 yard season.

It was an ignorant statement to say the least, I guess now every NFL team with a possible future long term player should rest them once they're out of the playoffs. If that were the case the Browns Joe Thomas (OT who has never missed a snap and is a Pro Bowler every year) would have played in about 10 games each season (sitting once they're eliminated from playoffs).

And if he doesn't get hurt you wouldn't be saying any of this. It is stupid to think that players should sit once a team is out of playoff contention to protect an investment. If he was injured already that would make sense. Like AJ Green who the Bengals IRed and wouldn't let him return, ending his streak of 1000 yard season.

and this

Steve's on a roll

• Like 1

Absolutely and well said. Resting 2nd year player ? They get paid to play and earn there money. Sitting him so he doesn't get hurt ??? Injuries happen but you don't sit players who are not in playoffs so they don't get hurt for next season

• Like 1