[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Strategies For 2017

Brooklynkid23

Is anyone switching around their strategy or guidelines for 2017?

I've read a couple articles already and their saying the Zero-RB strategy is dead but i disagree because it all depends on your draft position and what RB's or WR's you get.

Anyways I don't think i'm going to make any adjustments because i made to two championship games and i was three points away from making a third.

Well there was one adjustment i might make and that's look at QB situation when drafting WR and RB. I drafted Gurley and that burned me but i was able to trade him. I didn't think the QB situation was going to effect him that bad i underestimate that factor

Some Guidelines I followed, I didn't draft anyone who had injury concerns coming into the draft. I stayed away from rookies until late in the draft. I waited for a QB preferably 7th round or later 12 man league. I punted on the TE position it's way too inconsistent to use a high pick on. That's pretty much it when comes to pre-daft I mostly draft BPA.

Any Guidelines or Suggestions that's worked anyone else?

I'm going to do what I did this year: grab a QB and TE early on so I can secure a stud and not worry about those positions through the season. Then I can focus waiver grabs on opportunities that open up in the first few weeks.

So many injuries occur on the WR and RB side early on. I'd rather use a 5th round or even a 4th round pick on a solid TE or QB than a potential WR3 or RB3. I think it's better to grab speculative WR's and RB's later in the draft or in the first few weeks off the waiver. Think about Gordon, Ajayi, J Howard, M Thomas, T Hill... None of these guys were drafted in our leagues and all wound up being game changers. Meanwhile "studs" like Gurley pooped the bed on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

Think about Gordon, Ajayi, J Howard, M Thomas, T Hill... None of these guys were drafted in our leagues and all wound up being game changers. Meanwhile "studs" like Gurley pooped the bed on a weekly basis.

Okay, 3 out of 5 of those guys were drafted in nearly every league (Gordon, Ajayi, Thomas.) I personally got Gordon in the 5th, and Thomas in the 9th. Not sure what you're talking about

As far as strategies go, I agree with your approach and that's what I try to do every year. I strategize around my draft spot and try to maximize what I can do from there. You can take on these 'No RB' strategies, but are you going to force that strategy when you reach too low just to get a WR instead of a RB? I wanted a WR in the first round of PPR, but David Johnson fell to me at #8. I could have taken Green at that same position, but i'm glad I took what fell to me as opposed to forcing the pre-planned strategy.

Being in a PPR league I normally try and go WR the first 2 rounds because that's the position that really seems to provide the bulk of your points each week. So the way I see it, if I can get 2 top WR and a decent set of RBs in rounds 3-5 then I can fill in the rest of the team pretty easily. Second year I did this and it's worked pretty well. 2015 I made the championship and lost by 5, this year I made the playoffs but Russell Wilson didn't get the memo.

So if i change anything this year I may go QB in the 3rd (usually I wait) depending on what RBs are available.

I am going with a zero-Cleveland-Browns strategy.

Both Crowell and Pryor were not only cheap, but quite productive. You may want to rethink that a little.

Also keep in mind, bad teams often get to play catch up against prevent defenses.

• Like 3

I went the WR route and it didn't work out. Next year my strategy will be to take the best player available no matter what the position.I ended up with some very weak RB's and some not so great WR's ( cooper, Marshall) . I got Tyrell Williams off the WW and he ended up being more consistent than the one's I drafted.

Edited by Scorcher

Okay, 3 out of 5 of those guys were drafted in nearly every league (Gordon, Ajayi, Thomas.) I personally got Gordon in the 5th, and Thomas in the 9th. Not sure what you're talking about

Went back and checked. You're right about Gordon. He went in the 7th round. Still falls in with my strategy to use a spot for a great TE or QB early followed by a speculative RB in the mid rounds. Had Woodhead not gone down, there is no way Gordon's numbers would have been so high. I had Woodhead btw, so I'm bitter.

Thomas also got drafted. In round 15.

Ajayi did not get drafted. I snagged him off the wire just before he chalked up hundreds of yards, per game.

Yes my thought was in what league (8 team, start 1 RB?) was Gordon not drafted.

Since my league is a keeper/dynasty draft strategy depends a lot on who I keep, where I draft, and what players were available). And I'm not really thinking about those things now, won't know about keepers until a week before the draft, and other trends and player info will be reviewed in August.