[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gary Kubiak considering retirement

Mile High Magic

Ian Rapoport is reporting that Kubiak is "strongly" considering retiring after today's game against Oakland. Citing his health scares in 2013 and this season as the most likely reason.

Looks like Elway may have just gotten a free pass on having to make a hard call (assuming he's not actually behind this). If this happens, who do yall like for the job?

I'm thinking they should promote our RB coach Eric Studesville (I thought he and Del Rio deserved a look when Fox got canned), or maybe Vance Joseph out of Miami.

Edited by Mile High Magic
  • Like 1

Adam Schefter is reporting the same.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8347/gary-kubiak

I'm sure this decision was made well before the media finding out, and Elway and Kubiak would already be working together on a transition plan.

Wade Phillips' contract is up this year as well....and I sure hope he stays with the Broncos as DC (not HC).

Edited by Rileyrott

So just looking at NFL network this morning and Andrew whats-his-face was making a big deal about the fact that none of the stuff from Gary or the team says he's "retiring" but instead says "stepping down". Anyone else thinking that could be a sign that this was more a kind hearted under the table firing instead of a retirement?

So just looking at NFL network this morning and Andrew whats-his-face was making a big deal about the fact that none of the stuff from Gary or the team says he's "retiring" but instead says "stepping down". Anyone else thinking that could be a sign that this was more a kind hearted under the table firing instead of a retirement?

why would a team fire a HC that just won the super and was handed junk at QB to work with this yr?
  • Like 1

why would a team fire a HC that just won the super and was handed junk at QB to work with this yr?

Kubiak did not win that superbowl, everybody knows that. And Siemian may not be Dak Prescott, but he's hardly junk. In his first year with no running game to be heard of and an o-line that seemed to want to get him murdered and caused him to miss 2 and half games, I'd say 3,400 yards and a 18/10 ratio is decent.

John Fox won the division every year he was with us, and won at least 12 games his last 4 years. The offense was tops in the league every year he was with Manning and even managed to win with Tebow. He still got canned. But you're telling me a guy who took over that team and proceeded to land the offense in the bottom third (damn near last) in every offensive category 2 years in a row when he was hired based on his chops as an offensive mind deserved the benefit of the doubt? If he wasn't leaving, how long would he get a pass based on his friendship with Elway?

I was excited when he got hired because it was very nostalgic. But in reality his place is as an OC. He never should have got the job.

Kubiak did not win that superbowl, everybody knows that. And Siemian may not be Dak Prescott, but he's hardly junk. In his first year with no running game to be heard of and an o-line that seemed to want to get him murdered and caused him to miss 2 and half games, I'd say 3,400 yards and a 18/10 ratio is decent.

John Fox won the division every year he was with us, and won at least 12 games his last 4 years. The offense was tops in the league every year he was with Manning and even managed to win with Tebow. He still got canned. But you're telling me a guy who took over that team and proceeded to land the offense in the bottom third (damn near last) in every offensive category 2 years in a row when he was hired based on his chops as an offensive mind deserved the benefit of the doubt? If he wasn't leaving, how long would he get a pass based on his friendship with Elway?

I was excited when he got hired because it was very nostalgic. But in reality his place is as an OC. He never should have got the job.

Do you think he would be fired had he not "stepped down"?

I think its possible. There was certainly reason for him to be fired. If Fox could be let go in the fashion he was after all he did, then certainly it's not a stretch to think Kubiak could be shown the door for missing the playoffs all together.

Does Elway have another good friend former backup QB with HC experience that he's been looking to hire for years while he had a job elsewhere? That is why Fox was fired, to open the job for Kubiak who Elway wanted to have the job. Would also mean its pretty unlilkely that Elway forced Kubiak out now.

I know you're a Bronco fan and may hear more of the talk, but keep in mind it is just that, talk and not often an informed opinion.

Also if Kubiak didn't win the SB then he also didn't miss the playoffs (cannot give him responsibility/credit) in select cases.

[quote name="stevegrab" post="4317057"

Also if Kubiak didn't win the SB then he also didn't miss the playoffs (cannot give him responsibility/credit) in select cases.

This is not true at all. Pinning blame or heaping praise on one person is a way of life in the NFL. How many coaches just got the boot for failing to to improve teams that were already crap when they got there? That argument is weak at best.

Brady vs. Manning is a perfect example. Brady is the GOAT according to many because of his 4 SB wins even though he did not single handedly win those games, while on the flip side Manning is considered the best "regular season QB" because of his history of losing playoff games even though he did not single handedly lose those games either. But people pick and chose which gets the credit/blame when it's convenient for their arguement.

So no, Kubiak doesn't get credit for SB50. Elway does. John Elway used Peyton Mannings fame to draw in Ware, Talib, and Ward in free agency and then hit big in the draft with Roby and Ray. He built a defensive monster and then handed the leash to Wade Phillips who knew exactly what to do with it. If Kubiak had an average defense the last 2 years, he would have been lucky to win 10 games between both seasons.

This is not true at all. Pinning blame or heaping praise on one person is a way of life in the NFL. How many coaches just got the boot for failing to to improve teams that were already crap when they got there? That argument is weak at best.

Brady vs. Manning is a perfect example. Brady is the GOAT according to many because of his 4 SB wins even though he did not single handedly win those games, while on the flip side Manning is considered the best "regular season QB" because of his history of losing playoff games even though he did not single handedly lose those games either. But people pick and chose which gets the credit/blame when it's convenient for their arguement.

So no, Kubiak doesn't get credit for SB50. Elway does. John Elway used Peyton Mannings fame to draw in Ware, Talib, and Ward in free agency and then hit big in the draft with Roby and Ray. He built a defensive monster and then handed the leash to Wade Phillips who knew exactly what to do with it. If Kubiak had an average defense the last 2 years, he would have been lucky to win 10 games between both seasons.

Yes there are lots of people who like to hand out W and L to QB, or coaches, or other individuals. Some even like to choose which W/L they'll credit them and which they won't. Its utter nonsense.

You're a bitter Broncos fan (one year after a SB win) who isn't being rational. Why not blame Elway for not providing a better QB, or a better OL or RB. But no, blame the coach for the missed playoffs, but give Manning and Elway credit for the SB win.

So why are the Broncos out of the playoffs this year, what did Elway do wrong? He should have given Kubiak a better3 QB, OL, RB. Why didn't Wade's defense dominate again, is that Kubiak's fault too.

Why not blame Elway for not providing a better QB, or a better OL or RB. But no, blame the coach for the missed playoffs, but give Manning and Elway credit for the SB win.

So why are the Broncos out of the playoffs this year, what did Elway do wrong? He should have given Kubiak a better3 QB, OL, RB. Why didn't Wade's defense dominate again, is that Kubiak's fault too.

this

Why not blame Elway for not providing a better QB, or a better OL or RB. But no, blame the coach for the missed playoffs, but give Manning and Elway credit for the SB win.

Agreed.....especially about the OL .

Yes there are lots of people who like to hand out W and L to QB, or coaches, or other individuals. Some even like to choose which W/L they'll credit them and which they won't. Its utter nonsense.

You're a bitter Broncos fan (one year after a SB win) who isn't being rational. Why not blame Elway for not providing a better QB, or a better OL or RB. But no, blame the coach for the missed playoffs, but give Manning and Elway credit for the SB win.

I'd like to start by acknowledging that I am indeed a butthurt Denver fan, but I hardly think I'm being "irrational". It's not like I'm just pulling an argument out of thin air that holds no water. It's concrete evidence you can look at. Which part of the team worked? Which part didn't? Why didn't it work? Was the part that didn't work not supposed to be Kubiaks specialty? What he got the job based on (aside from obvious reasons)? Anyways I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on wether he should have been let go or not because I did not get the impression from the press conference that his retirement was anything other than it was reported to be.

As for Elway, I think he did his job. He got CJ Anderson back, locked in Sanders, signed 2 tackles that were SUPPOSED to be some of the best in the FA market, got a decent back in Booker late in the draft.

He probably could have done better with the QB situation. Maybe make the deal with Philly for Bradford when that was on the table. But Siemian wasn't bad and we won't know if he missed with Lynch for a year or two. Certainly still preferable to resigning Osweiler and potentially not having the money to extend the contracts for Sanders and Stewart.

You sound like somebody who never liked Kubiak, and therefore had a negative view of him all along and are more than willing to assign blame to him for the bad things, but don't think he gets any or much credit for the good (winning a SB). Yes I know you said in one post you were excited by it initially and the nostalgia factor, but you appear to have quickly soured on Kubiak after one season with missed playoffs.

That seems irrational to me, you're letting your emotions taint your views. Maybe you didn't want to see Fox fired, and figure if he could be fired after several double digit win seasons that Kubiak could/should be fired for missing the playoffs. Which dismisses the reason Fox was fired, so that Elway could give his old friend Kubiak the job. That situation is not in play now, so I don't see how it impacts this and makes Kubiak.

You also talked about the poor offensive numbers the past 2 years, and how that means Kubiak failed since offense is his speciality. But they won a SB with that poor offense in 2015, their defense was built to carry them along with a running game and Peyton. 2016 no Peyton, an average QB, RB injuries, poor OL play, and that results in a 9-7 record and missed playoffs.

I have yet to hear any other Broncos fan indicate that Kubiak was on the hot seat (could be fired) this season. So your view that there was resign to fire Kubiak is not one I've seen shared elsewhere, even among Broncos fans.

Sorry if I came across overly negative or harsh, but your arguments just weren't holding water with me. And they were based on emotion not fact and reason.

Good luck to your team in the future, even though Elway knocked my Browns out of 3 AFC title games in 4 years I developed a soft spot for the team with DT on my fantasy squad and then Peyton joining them. (Watched NFLN program Timeline: Peyton Mannings Summer Camp last night which covered his 2013 off season workout program, at Duke UnivTen and Broncos camps. Guy was amazing.)