[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, it appears Chip Kelly is going to be fired.

Papa Deuce

That's the story I read on yahoo.

Anyway, I think he isn't an NFL quality coach... he's a horrible person.... and some team will hire him for an NFL head coaching spot AGAIN......

Word is that he is looking to the Jets..... I don't think they need this guy.

BTW, if you wonder how I come to a conclusion that he is a horrible person, well, I worked 19 years for FOX TV in Philly, and am friends with almost every sports related person at the station, and they know him, and via them, that is what I hear.

We can't ever predict how this is going to work out, even at this stage. I remember Jeff Fisher getting off to a solid start and now some people are considering him one of the worst ever. Bill Belichick had a losing record 5 out of his first 6 seasons and now he's considered one of the best ever. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I think this is the last we see of him in the NFL. He'll take a mid to top tier job in college for big bucks.

I agree with all but the last bit there. He is already pulling cash from both the Eagles and Niners, who have fired him in less than one calendar year. I think he'll get a gig in a top conference but no way the school is going to drop $6-7M a year on him or anything.

I guess that makes sense, but the article just said OC, IIRC.

A quick search turned up several articles about it (and it is off coord) and this one from Boston CBS says "not happening"

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/01/03/howe-chip-kelly-as-patriots-offensive-coordinator-not-happening/

Here is one with the "during the playoffs angle" by Yardbarker (which is a self proclaimed rumor/gossip sports site)

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/could_patriots_bring_in_chip_kelly_for_playoffs_make_him_next_oc/s1_127_22853506

I really don't see him being added to a roster now for the playoffs, cannot ever recall that happening (NFL HC fied, joins another NFL team for the playoffs). The linked article implies the Pats did just that with McDaniels in 2011-12 (found that the Rams released him from his contract after the 2011 season was over so he could rejoin BB with the Pats for the playoffs). Some differences in that scenario is that Pats OC Bill O'Brien had taken the Penn State HC job, McDaniels had already been the Pats OC and worked under BB.

I don't see this happening, and agree Chip probably ends up back in the college ranks.

• 2 weeks later...

Reports indicate the 49ers have offered Kyle Shanahan the HC job, so that is pretty much a done deal (muck like Quinn and the Falcons in 2 years ago during playoffs). Very similar timing too, mid week before conference championship games, and the day after the SB a deal was signed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000775827/article/kyle-shanahan-almost-certain-to-become-49ers-new-head-coach