[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was the Bud Dupree hit dirty?

Caveman_Nick

Illegal, yes. Very definition of all the things they've been trying to correct with concussions. He puts his head down and leads with his helmet straight into the area where Moore's head could/should be.

Had he continued with his head up and wrapped the tackle, no problem. Instead he went head down and led with the helmet. Easy call, easy fine.

Dirty has a whole other meaning, so I'm just going to avoid that at this time. Unfortunately "dirty" is going to be associated to any linebackers on a team that employs both Harrison and Porter.

From what I'm seeing it's the pick up and drop that's late. Everything else looks ok. Looks to me like the whistle clearly blew before he picked him up and dropped him.

Sounds like you're talking about a play in the Seahawks/Lions game. Bud Dupree gave Matt Moore some sweet chin music with the crown of his helmet

Sounds like you're talking about a play in the Seahawks/Lions game. Bud Dupree gave Matt Moore some sweet chin music with the crown of his helmet

The Dupree hit on Moore

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017010800/2016/POST18/dolphins@steelers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000771419&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Illegal, yes. Very definition of all the things they've been trying to correct with concussions. He puts his head down and leads with his helmet straight into the area where Moore's head could/should be.

Had he continued with his head up and wrapped the tackle, no problem. Instead he went head down and led with the helmet. Easy call, easy fine.

Dirty has a whole other meaning, so I'm just going to avoid that at this time. Unfortunately "dirty" is going to be associated to any linebackers on a team that employs both Harrison and Porter.

You are hitting right on why I asked the question in the blatant, open manner I did.

For all of the attention, especially from the players and the players union that is being put on concussions, when will head-hunting hits like that start to be considered 'dirty'.

When I saw that hit, it looked likle Bud Dupree decided that he was going to knock Matt Moore out of the game. If knocking someone out, literally, is causing massive brain injury problems for football players, and everyone knows it, then isn't trying to knock out a defenseless player dirty? I am a Pats fan, and can't stand either team involved, so I was surprised at how pissed I was when I saw the hit. Frankly I thought Dupree should be ejected for recklessly trying to injure another player. IMHO he went after Moore with an unwelcome level of violent ferocity.

I think the rules need to change, as I have felt in Hockey for a long time. You knock someone out of a game with an illegal hit, you go too. See ya when they get back on the field. Won't stop injuries, but it will make players think twice about spearing knees and smashing someone in the head.

• Like 1

You are hitting right on why I asked the question in the blatant, open manner I did.

For all of the attention, especially from the players and the players union that is being put on concussions, when will head-hunting hits like that start to be considered 'dirty'.

When I saw that hit, it looked likle Bud Dupree decided that he was going to knock Matt Moore out of the game. If knocking someone out, literally, is causing massive brain injury problems for football players, and everyone knows it, then isn't trying to knock out a defenseless player dirty? I am a Pats fan, and can't stand either team involved, so I was surprised at how pissed I was when I saw the hit. Frankly I thought Dupree should be ejected for recklessly trying to injure another player. IMHO he went after Moore with an unwelcome level of violent ferocity.

I think the rules need to change, as I have felt in Hockey for a long time. You knock someone out of a game with an illegal hit, you go too. See ya when they get back on the field. Won't stop injuries, but it will make players think twice about spearing knees and smashing someone in the head.

Was the hit dirty? IMO, yes. Again my initial thoughts are head hunting tackle that you would see from teammate Harrison or LB coach Porter back in the day. But I honestly don't want to try to judge the thoughts/motivations of another person during the few seconds the play takes place. It just is too hard to do. Was Moore crouching/dipping his head more then he should of in anticipation of being hit? Did Bud misjudge and think he was at chest level, or was he just thinking about making a hit that would get him on SportsCenter? Hell if I know.

I understand what you are angling at with dirty, but the problem isn't only with the league rules and the players. The problem also stems from us the fans. Cause honestly what most seem to be looking for is not a sound wrap up bring him to the ground ho-hum tackle, they are looking for the hit that goes "Pop!" and to see the ball carrier driven back with force. Those highlight hits were NFL's bread and butter for many eras and that is something that has been hard to get away from.

Hopefully the Heads Up initiative will help to prevent hits like this in the future, but honestly that is going to take an era of players before we start to see what results it does have for the players of tomorrow. And in the end the impact still may be negative, because again who really wants to watch true wrap up tackling. Lessening the violent "action" may cause people to tune out. It seems like the NFL has tried to displace the lack of hitting with more offense (and rules tailored towards that end), and for some that may be fine but even personally I find myself a bit uninterested in the games it has produced of late.

Sorry maybe kind of a ramble..but just my :2cents:

Edited by Def.
  • Like 1

your link didn't load any video. Here's the play with several replays/angles..

Sorry it worked for me, was just trying to help. I even opened a new broswer window and pasted the link, the NFL game center opened and the video loaded. I hate the stupid way youtube links need to be done special here or I would have done that.

Holy S$%t! Lead with the crown of his helmet right after his head. Hell yes that's dirty. Easiest call on the planet! Damn that was bad! Surprised Miami didn't go after Roth after that hit.

Not really Miami's style, they spend most of their time kneeling during pregame. :bag:

• Like 1