[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams Hire HC - McVay

darin3

This boils down to Jared Goff. I thought they'd try and make a splash with Gruden but looking back he really never developed any young QB. In theory he probably could, but zero track record.

I thought Shanahan (and his pops) coming over would make perfect sense, but word on the street that he thought Goff was not that good. That just wouldn't have worked.

Rams need a youthful, exuberant and "not stale" approach to offense. This guy (at age 31) has it. He took a QB in Kirk Cousins (who the jury was out on for a few years) and made him a near-elite passer with - let's face it, aside from Jordan Reed - a fairly average receiving corps.

Definitely not a big splash but from a "football" perspective it makes perfect sense. Maybe I wasn't giving the Rams organization enough credit.

E2A: Had no idea he's the grandson of John McVay, formerly of the 49ers dynasty years. And he was on Gruden's staff in Tampa. :thinking:

Edited by darin3

I think Shanahan might get screwed out of a HC job this year!

Those are the breaks when your team is in the playoffs and not eliminated early. It could be that SF has already selected their guy, and are simply waiting for him to be eliminated from the playoffs to finalize things. McDaniels is another candidate we were hearing about that has to wait.

• Like 1

Just heard his press conference. :tup: No wonder the guy got the job. He may be green but he not only sounds like Jon Gruden but has a lot of the same things you'd like in a HC. He will lean on the experience of guys like Bum Phillips and I'm interested to see who he brings on as the OC.

I think the Rams made a wise choice. The Niners were reportedly about to jump on him but the Rams struck first. I'm impressed.

HUGE mistake on the Rams part, IMO... the "young offensive genius" could only guide the Skins to average 12.5 points in the 2 most important home games of the season (15 vs. CAR and 10 vs. NYG)? THEN, they hire Joe Barry as their DC/AHC? Yeah, the same guy who helped lead the Lions defense to 0-16 and most recently the hapless Skins to become one of the worst defenses in the league? Not sure what the Rams are thinking, but good riddance to both of those guys...

HUGE mistake on the Rams part, IMO... the "young offensive genius" could only guide the Skins to average 12.5 points in the 2 most important home games of the season (15 vs. CAR and 10 vs. NYG)? THEN, they hire Joe Barry as their DC/AHC? Yeah, the same guy who helped lead the Lions defense to 0-16 and most recently the hapless Skins to become one of the worst defenses in the league? Not sure what the Rams are thinking, but good riddance to both of those guys...

Huh. Not sure what to make of this. First blush/skim it sounds like bitterness. Not sure why you're harping on TWO games against two fairly good defenses as the end-all-be-all for the guy.

Also, Rams hired Wade Phillips as DC, not Barry. Still... "one of the worst defenses in the league"? Huh? #19 in points/game. They had no defensive stars unless you want to count Josh Norman. But ok, whatever :lol:

:shrug: Not a Rams fan but if I was, I'd be impressed with his track record getting Cousins to excel with a fairly average receiving corps, his pedigree, and his enthusiasm thus far.

• Like 1

my bad on the Barry as DC mistake - you're absolutely right, they got Wade as their DC and Barry as their AHC, which makes absolutely ZERO sense to me (the Barry part, that is)..but anyway I digress..no bitterness that McVay left at all... his play calling (if you've followed the Redskins at all) is absolutely atrocious, especially in the Red Zone - how many times can you say, "back shoulder fade?" Rams fans will be saying it a LOT because that's all he knows in that area of the field... as for "fairly average receiving corps" I'm not sure where you're coming from with that comment, but around the league, many "experts" believe they (arguably) have one of the more talented over all groups in the league, particularly if you include Reed in that discussion...McVay is nothing more than a "media darling" IMO - all glitter and no substance, which is perfect for Tinsel Town...but only time will tell on that...I think the Rams will find out sooner than later, though... again, just my opinion and I'm by no stretch any type of brilliant football talent evaluator, but I do know what my eyes have seen the past couple of years

my bad on the Barry as DC mistake - you're absolutely right, they got Wade as their DC and Barry as their AHC, which makes absolutely ZERO sense to me (the Barry part, that is)..but anyway I digress..no bitterness that McVay left at all... his play calling (if you've followed the Redskins at all) is absolutely atrocious, especially in the Red Zone - how many times can you say, "back shoulder fade?" Rams fans will be saying it a LOT because that's all he knows in that area of the field... as for "fairly average receiving corps" I'm not sure where you're coming from with that comment, but around the league, many "experts" believe they (arguably) have one of the more talented over all groups in the league, particularly if you include Reed in that discussion...McVay is nothing more than a "media darling" IMO - all glitter and no substance, which is perfect for Tinsel Town...but only time will tell on that...I think the Rams will find out sooner than later, though... again, just my opinion and I'm by no stretch any type of brilliant football talent evaluator, but I do know what my eyes have seen the past couple of years

D-Jax - pure speed guy

Garcon - journeyman

Crowder - talented slot guy

Yes, if you include Reed it's a pretty good group but no real stars (like the Rams). The Rams have a long way to go to even have a unit like this but I wouldn't consider the Redskins' corps to be anywhere close to the most talented. Not sure what "experts" you're referring to but they're nowhere near the likes of the Falcons, Packers, etc. :shrug:

All my eyes have seen in terms of where the Redskins were and where they're at now is.... they went from an average offense with a QB quandary... with a less than average WR corps (sorry, not budging on that)... to one of the more dynamic offenses with a blossoming young QB talent.

Guess time will tell. Let's see how the Redskin offense looks next year. Let's see how Goff and the Rams offense looks in a couple years. Again, not a Rams fan in the least but I was impressed with McVay's accomplishments and how the first few days of his work here looks.

BTW, where the Redskins are today (vs. a few years ago) has nothing to do with Sean McVay and EVERYTHING to do with a fellow by the name of Scot McCloughin... Cousins will not be the QB in DC next year... he'll either be in SF with Shanahan, or in LA with McVay (Florio's idea, not mine, but one that makes a lot of sense, IMO)...

BTW, where the Redskins are today (vs. a few years ago) has nothing to do with Sean McVay and EVERYTHING to do with a fellow by the name of Scot McCloughin... Cousins will not be the QB in DC next year... he'll either be in SF with Shanahan, or in LA with McVay (Florio's idea, not mine, but one that makes a lot of sense, IMO)...

You really think they'll let Cousins walk?

Do you want him back? Just wondering.

You really think they'll let Cousins walk?

Do you want him back? Just wondering.

Unfortunately, I do think they'll let him walk...for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be McCloughan's "guy"...I personally like him a lot, and absolutely do not believe they'll find anyone even close to what they have, but all indications are they believe Colt McCoy can run Gruden's scheme just as effectively (I do not)... if they had faith in Cousins, they would've locked him up last year... now he feels slighted, and believes he earned a huge paycheck, but they still do not - it's going to get even more contentious before March 1st...anyway, there's 100% chance the Redskins offense will regress next season, but it really has nothing to do with McVay's departure, it will be because Cousins, D-Jax, and even possibly Garcon will be gone, Reed can't stay healthy, and they don't have a legit workhorse RB (don't get me wrong, I love Fat Rob and he's a warrior, but there's a reason he was an UFA) - and, they absolutely HAVE to address too many defensive needs in the draft... Edited by the outlaw

For anyone interested, here is the CBS Sports article regarding the comments Florio recently made during a local radio interview about the possibility of Cousins landing in LA with McVay.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/01/12/florio-is-kirk-cousins-sean-mcvay-secret-weapon/

I realize most of these guys just like to hear themselves talk and they have to fill the air with something (usually controversial to generate ratings), but I think there is some merit in this case.

I ultimately believe Cousins lands in SF to replace Kaep once Shanahan is hired there, though. I don't think the Skins will let him walk outright, but will tag him non-exclusive so they will get some form of compensation (draft picks) when he leaves...at least that seems to be McCloughan's M.O.

• Like 1

Yes, if you include Reed it's a pretty good group but no real stars (like the Rams). The Rams have a long way to go to even have a unit like this but I wouldn't consider the Redskins' corps to be anywhere close to the most talented. Not sure what "experts" you're referring to but they're nowhere near the likes of the Falcons, Packers, etc. :shrug:

Some of these are from preseason (less reliable) and others from later in the season (using actual results/stats). Either way, the Skins' receiving corps consistently ranked Top 5... so, I would say (like I did), arguably one of the best in the league... ;)

Here they're #4 (and, BTW the Rams are #25),

https://theringer.com/who-has-the-best-receiving-corps-in-the-nfl-f314d567e674#.ibd8el4cj

Here, they're #2 (although preseason) but I 100% trust former NFL GM Charlie Casserley's opinion over yours (no offense)...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000670759/article/ranking-the-nfls-four-best-receiver-groups

And, here they're #3 (after Week 12) with the Rams coming in at #30, so please don't even try to compare the two groups...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-receiving-corps-this-season/

Anyway, those are just a few examples of what I am "hearing" or reading when I say the Skins had one of the best receiving corps in 2026... that of course will be completely tossed out the window next season (not because McVay left, but...), because D-Jax and very possibly Garcon will be gone, too...Doctson is an unknown (at least at the NFL level), and they'll likely have a lesser talented QB...

That's all I've got, so I'm done on the topic... :)

P.S. - OK, I thought I was done here, but BTW Packers and Falcons are both below the Redskins in each of these rankings... both of those teams "x" factor is the QB, not better receivers (as a group, not individually - of course Jordy and Julio are better, individually, than anyone on the Skins)... ;)

Just sayin'...

Now, I'm done...LOL

Edited by the outlaw
  • Like 1

Outlaw,

Which of those links was with the input of Casserly, I tried reading the one listed before (from theringer.com) and the one after you mentioned him (NFL.com preseason top 4) neither mention Casserly. So while you value his opinion I'm not seeing it referenced. The last link provided says this "Yet another team that can throw four above-average options on the field at once. The Redskins may not have a sure-fire No. 1 receiver, but each has their own niche they excel within." They're ranked 3rd, but that doesn't seem to scream outstanding to me, or top 5.

I personally don't think the Redskins have one of the top WR groups (or receivers including TE) in the NFL, my opinion based on what I see from following NFL (watching 6-8 games every week). I also don't think the Packers are at the top either, Rodgers much like Favre before him makes a lot of average WR look very good. I recall in the Favre era every time a WR got hurt we'd be scrambling to WW to get the next guy up.

I personally hope Cousins doesn't leave, he is doing well there and both he and the Redskins offense will regress if he leaves. Colty McCoy is not the answer to anybody's question "what do we do at QB for the future".

@ stevegrab, the NFL.com link contains a video excerpt (it takes awhile to load) from one of their NFLN shows where Casserly discusses (preseason 2016) receiver corps rankings...his review included Doctson instead of Crowder, so it is definitely dated (although Crowder stepped-up in a huge way this season, IMO)...

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, was just pointing out (for d3's benefit), there are those who believe they do have a very above average group of receivers - collectively, not individually - I have no idea what analysis and/or metrics went into any of these reviews...

Edited by the outlaw

@ stevegrab, the NFL.com link contains a video excerpt (it takes awhile to load) from one of their NFLN shows where Casserly discusses (preseason 2016) receiver corps rankings...his review included Doctson instead of Crowder, so it is definitely dated (although Crowder stepped-up in a huge way this season, IMO)...

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, was just pointing out (for d3's benefit), there are those who believe they do have a very above average group of receivers - collectively, not individually - I have no idea what analysis and/or metrics went into any of these reviews...

No problem, didn't watch the video, just don't have the time, especially during the day at work ;)

PS I like Crowder and had him on my team this year, as well as Cousins. One or both could be on my keeper list come draft day.