[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Brady to retire?

DMD

He has recently said he was not thinking about that. And in fairness, he has not yet really displayed a downturn in arm strength like Manning did in his final two seasons. But... Brady turns 40 next August and may very well be coming off a Super Bowl win. Would he pull a John Elway and go out on top?

Elway was 38 when he left . Brady is currently signed through 2019 if that matters. Only 7 quarterbacks have ever started 8+ games in a season at the age of 39 or older. Only three played that many at the age of 40 (Brett Favre (2), Warren Moon and Vinny Testaverde).

Brady has been healthy in his career other than 2008 when he blew out his knee. And he has not played any differently so far. But going out on top as the oldest active NFL quarterback has to have some attraction and reasoning. After 17 seasons away from home, how much longer will he play?

The Patriots mantra this season was "One More" which makes me wonder if Brady and Belichick will retire at the same time if they win.

I wondered the same thing but I did not want to make any Patriot fans heads explode. Long as you can do it and enjoy it, no reason to stop though. Not like Belichick has to worry much about getting pushed out. Bill is 64. Next year he can get Social Security in case he did not save any money along the way.

Maybe Brady can be unique. But here is where he is going to fall in all-time NFL history for QBs that started more than 8 games in a season at the age of 40+.

531 -363-4202-33 Brett Favre (Age 40 and started 16 games)
528 -313-3678-25 Warren Moon (Age 41 and started 14 games)
495 -297-3532-17 Vinny Testaverde (Age 41 and started 15 games)
358 -217-2509-11 Brett Favre (Age 41 and started 13 games)
258 -145-1632-11 Warren Moon (Age 42 and started 10 games)
Favre had a good season in MIN at the age of 40 and Moon had a decent season at the age of 41. But The other three instances were average at best. Basically, only Favre, Moon and Testaverde did anything beyond the age of 39 in the history of the NFL.
It is all about health and arm strength and so far both seem to be okay for Brady.
Here is where the greats come down in age of final season - Peyton Manning (39), Brett Favre (41), Drew Brees (37 active), Tom Brady (39 active), Dan Marino (38), John Elway (38).
I can see Brady hanging on to pull a Manning and assault the record book.
In total yards, he is behind only Drew Brees (+4529), Brett Favre (+10,246) and Manning (+10,348) so at least three healthy seasons to catch up and Brees is younger and ahead.
Maybe he can play three or four years but he'll be all alone if he is a difference maker at the age of 41 let alone 42 or 43.
He has a good line and that helps keep him healthy. Just approaching a wall that no one has ever passed.

The difference I feel is he hasn't had any major arm,neck,back issues like a Peyton and he has such a fluid non violent throwing motion that won't be an issue. And his game is not mobility so older legs won't prevent him from doing what he has his whole career. I could see him playing 3 more very productive years and still going out on top.

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe
  • Like 2

The difference I feel is he hasn't had any major arm,neck,back issues like a Peyton and he has such a fluid non violent throwing motion that won't be an issue. And his game is not mobility so older legs won't prevent him from doing what he has his whole career. I could see him playing 3 more very productive years and still going out on top.

While I agree that he "could" play 3 more years the reality of life in the NFL is as you age you slow down and players get younger & faster etc... The mind might be willing but the health of his OL will determine how many years he can go yet... Once the decline starts is goes quickly ala Montana, Farve and Manning... JMO... so 3 years??? I say at this point he is year to year.

Edited by dfv87

McDaniels taking himself out of the running for HC jobs and saying he wants to stay with NE forever adds another twist to this as well. Maybe Brady stays and Bill retires on top. As much as he loves football being a HC is a grind and its still a job. Maybe he takes a front office job to stay in the mix, McDaniels gets the HC job and Brady plays next year.

• Like 1

if there was any chance of Brady retiring, then why are the Pats offering Garopolo? I'm not saying anyone will pay a 1st and 4th, but why ask for that if Brady is leaving?

Because they love Jacoby Brissett (supposedly)?

While I agree that he "could" play 3 more years the reality of life in the NFL is as you age you slow down and players get younger & faster etc... The mind might be willing but the health of his OL will determine how many years he can go yet... Once the decline starts is goes quickly ala Montana, Farve and Manning... JMO... so 3 years??? I say at this point he is year to year.

I'm confused you seem to say he can keep going until his OL gets old or in poor healthy, then talk about decline of Montana/Favre/Manning. Just seems disjointed.

I personally think he keeps going, even if he wins the SB. They could win another 2-3 if he keeps playing, why would he (or BB) step aside now?

• Like 1

I think people forget how sudden the drop off was for Manning when they talk about Brady playing into his mid 40's. I mean Peyton had the best statistical season EVER in 2013. Less than 12 months later he couldn't complete a pass further than 10 yards up field without divine intervention.

I think He's got one more GOOD year and then maybe 2 more so-so years and then he'll go.

Edited by Mile High Magic

I think people forget how sudden the drop off was for Manning when they talk about Brady playing into his mid 40's. I mean Peyton had the best statistical season EVER in 2013. Less than 12 months later he couldn't complete a pass further than 10 yards up field without divine intervention.

I think He's got one more GOOD year and then maybe 2 more so-so years and then he'll go.

Let us know when Brady has major surgery that affects how he throws.

Let us know when Brady has major surgery that affects how he throws.

That's the thing though - can he possibly remain so productive when literally no one else has ever done it? Can he remain healthy without issues that have literally stopped every other elite QB when they hit 40?

An argument for him playing. He's supposed to have this super intense workout and training program. I know you can't simulate getting hit by 300 pound linemen, but his body should be in great shape to keep playing.

An argument against. He has a super model wife. Most women out there want loving every now and then. If his bones are creaking and the bed springs aren't, he's gonna have problems. He should go out while he's on top...in more ways than one.

• Like 1

I know it's difficult to separate Brady and Bellichek. Which one is the GOAT?

I guess both.

I heard some crazy numbers... Brady has played with 37 different RBs, 45 different WRs and 50 different OL.

Why does everyone feel the need to separate them? In no other duo, does a coach or player lose as much "greatness" as a result of the other member of said duo. Almost all great quarterbacks had incredible coaches. I think you are right with the statement that it is both. Bill is the greatest coach of all time and Tom is the greatest quarterback of all time.

• Like 2

That's the thing though - can he possibly remain so productive when literally no one else has ever done it? Can he remain healthy without issues that have literally stopped every other elite QB when they hit 40?

Just my gut feeling, but I think he has taken less of a beating than any other elite QB who reached 40 and had a chance to continue.

I looked at Brady vs. a couple other elite QBs who played well past 35, Favre and Montana, both took a lot of sacks, but had a sack% not far from Brady's.

Maybes its the miracles of modern science, maybe he's a robot. I just don't see a sign of slowing down, or the serious neck injuries that Peyton battled through in his final years.