[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Falcons fire DC Richard Smith

Wolverines Fan

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10343/richard-smith

First the very :huh: Steve Sarkisian hire and now this :huh: move.

I thought the Atlanta d improved over the season, and Smith's d didn't deserve all the blame for the Super Bowl collapse imho. They really got after Tom Brady before they ran out of gas late in the game.

Falcons homers?

Not a Falcon homer but I don't get this at all. Wonder if there was a post-game personal blow-up between coach and DC? Doesn't seem like a step in the right direction.

Given the track record of teams coming off a Super Bowl loss you'd think Atlanta would try to minimize turbulence. Tough game no doubt but this seems to address a problem they didn't have.

• Like 1

I read that Quinn was taking on a larger role in the defense recently including some play calling. Thought there was something about some difference of philosophy too. Some will see it as a scapegoat, and that could be. If I were a Falcon fan I'd trust Quinn.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10343/richard-smith

First the very :huh: Steve Sarkisian hire and now this :huh: move.

I thought the Atlanta d improved over the season, and Smith's d didn't deserve all the blame for the Super Bowl collapse imho. They really got after Tom Brady before they ran out of gas late in the game.

Falcons homers?

Not a Falcon's homer, obviously, but I completely agree.

Reading responses from Falcons fans on Reddit, it seems Quinn took over play calling on defense around their bye (week 11) which prompted their improvement. They got consistent pressure on Brady during the Super Bowl, but that was really the first time all season they've been able to do that as a group. Despite that pressure, the Pats were still able to move the ball really well, it just didn't show up on the scoreboard because of the turnovers. Also, these defense ranks are pretty bad:

Yards/game: 25th
Points/game: 27th
Red zone: 32nd
3rd down %: 26th
Rushing/game: 17th
Passing/game: 28th
YAC: 32nd
Doesn't seem as much of a head scratcher after looking at that.
  • Like 2