[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brock Osweiler traded to Cleveland

Wolverines Fan

Whether Osweiler will be able to start for the Browns remains to be seen, but this trade isn’t about the Browns liking Osweiler. It’s about the Texans wanting so badly to get rid of him that they think he has negative value.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

ah, not "nothing"...

Houston Texans QB Brock Osweiler, a 2017 sixth-round pick and a 2018 second-round pick are being sent to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a 2017 fourth-round pick, according to a source.

Yep sorry the nothing was based of the initial reports (was listening to sports talk radio with a coworker in their office), then I heard there was a pick from the Browns, still virtually nothing.

35 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

lol...

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Browns are considering releasing Brock Osweiler.
This report comes just 20 minutes after the Browns acquired Osweiler from Houston in a bombshell trade nobody saw coming. Now there's a good chance Osweiler will never play a down for Cleveland as the Browns will simply absorb his $16 million salary and move on. Cleveland has all the cap space in the world so the $16 million hit isn't a big deterrent. Perhaps the Browns will package their first-round pick with the 2018 second-rounder they just received from Houston in a trade for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Mar 9 - 4:01 PM

Yep that is a hot topic now, still not sure I'd want to trade for Crapola, what has he really proven. the #12 pick can still be used to acquire an elite player (#1 should be Garrett no talk of anybody else).

2 hours ago, loaf said:

Whether Osweiler will be able to start for the Browns remains to be seen, but this trade isn’t about the Browns liking Osweiler. It’s about the Texans wanting so badly to get rid of him that they think he has negative value.

Negative value yes....... minus .70 million dollars.

I don't see this as such a negative for the Browns IF they can show restraint and not waste any of these draft picks dealing for a mediocre QB. Use the picks to restock at multiple positions and then either draft a QB after Round 1 or get some veteran stand-in for a couple years. DO NOT go after Garoppolo.

The problem is that there is no evidence to suggest Cleveland can actually evaluate and develop talent.

• Like 1

It's a GREAT deal for the Browns.  They get a 2nd round pick.and a free pass at a QB with a pretty good offensive minded head coach.  If they hate Osweiler they cut him, the $16M salary doesn't mean squat to them they have salary to burn.

At one point the rumor was they were going to trade him to another team, while eating a portion of his contract.  What would someone give for a year of Osweiler at say $4M?  A 5th?  The Browns might get ANOTHER pick and not even have to eat the entire dead money!

I've also done this same thing in BOTH leagues to avoid dead year cap hits just nothing so valuable as a 2nd is to NFL teams.  Wow. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, flemingd said:

It's a GREAT deal for the Browns.  They get a 2nd round pick.and a free pass at a QB with a pretty good offensive minded head coach.  If they hate Osweiler they cut him, the $16M salary doesn't mean squat to them they have salary to burn.

At one point the rumor was they were going to trade him to another team, while eating a portion of his contract.  What would someone give for a year of Osweiler at say $4M?  A 5th?  The Browns might get ANOTHER pick and not even have to eat the entire dead money!

I've also done this same thing in BOTH leagues to avoid dead year cap hits just nothing so valuable as a 2nd is to NFL teams.  Wow.

Last night on the news local sports caster (who is the radio play-by-play announcer for Browns) said they are probably looking for something like a 4th round pick and will be offering to eat half of Oz salary.

I think one telling sign will be if the Browns release RG3 they are probably planning on using Oz or trading/signing another vet. If they hold RG3 they could be considering a trade of Oz. RG3 has a $750K bonus due tomorrow, Browns had already said they have no plan to release him before then and don't care about that money. His cap hit is $8.75M, with a dead cap# (post June 1) of 1.75M.

BJ or somebody can you confirm my understanding, releasing him after June 1 means only $1.75M against the 2017 cap?

If so, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to hold onto RG3 for now, possibly through the draft and camp then they could release him and take a lower ($7M less) hit on the cap, which is about half the Oz cap hit.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Last night on the news local sports caster (who is the radio play-by-play announcer for Browns) said they are probably looking for something like a 4th round pick and will be offering to eat half of Oz salary.

I think one telling sign will be if the Browns release RG3 they are probably planning on using Oz or trading/signing another vet. If they hold RG3 they could be considering a trade of Oz. RG3 has a $750K bonus due tomorrow, Browns had already said they have no plan to release him before then and don't care about that money. His cap hit is $8.75M, with a dead cap# (post June 1) of 1.75M.

BJ or somebody can you confirm my understanding, releasing him after June 1 means only $1.75M against the 2017 cap?

If so, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to hold onto RG3 for now, possibly through the draft and camp then they could release him and take a lower ($7M less) hit on the cap, which is about half the Oz cap hit.

What a local sports caster things means nothing at this point.  What value a team places on salary cap is pure speculation.

The dead cap # isn't post-June 1, it's just the dead cap number.  It can all hit now, or at best they could designate him a post-June 1 cut, which would spread 1/2 out this year and 1/2 next.  Why bother with such a small amount though?  That's generally only done by teams that need the room now since everything rolls over anyway.  

Edited by flemingd

Thanks flemingd for explaining the cap# stuff.

I never said the local sportscaster is making decisions or really knows what the Browns are doing. But speculation from somebody that has been doing play-by-play on the radio for the team for 25+ years means more than some average joe talking sports. The Browns are listening to trade offers and have been reported to be willing to eat part of the salary. Maybe its circular reporting with all of them referencing the same person or each other as their source.

But it does seem like Donovan and some others in the CLE media really have a hard on for Crapola and not only think the Browns will try to sign him, but that they should and that no asking price is too high.

Pardon me for being a bit excited for once about this pile of crap team I'm a fan of doing something unique and possibly very big impact to the team.

Hmm, what do the Redskins want for Cousins?  I'd rather trade for him than Crapola, and a high draft pick would actually be worth it.

Oz, #12 in 2017, the second round pick we got from HOU?  Toss in a few cases of Stadium Mustard?

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, stevegrab said:

Hmm, what do the Redskins want for Cousins?  I'd rather trade for him than Crapola, and a high draft pick would actually be worth it.

Oz, #12 in 2017, the second round pick we got from HOU?  Toss in a few cases of Stadium Mustard?

Imagine how Pryor would feel if this happened..."I finally get to play for a QB who gonna air it out to me....wait he got traded to where?!?!?"

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they may just eat Osweiler's $.  Well wtf he's still only got one full season under his belt, I wouldn't write him off entirely just yet.  However Kessler looked promising and sure as f wouldn't draft a QB high either.

7 hours ago, BeeR said:

Looks like they may just eat Osweiler's $.  Well wtf he's still only got one full season under his belt, I wouldn't write him off entirely just yet.  However Kessler looked promising and sure as f wouldn't draft a QB high either.

Curious if you're just posting your opinion now, or read something recently that says they'll keep him?

I think they may be leaning that way, and could even do that if they take a QB high (pick # 12 or 33). He or Kessler could be named the starter, and if there's a high pick rookie he can sit all year (hopefully) and be groomed. (Been a while since the Browns didn't use at least 3 QBs in a season.)