[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Agent RBs

DMD

Free Agent RBs  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is the outlook for Adrian Peterson?

• Should be a stud this year in the right situation
    • Should be at least a big part of a committee backfield
    • May have some production but mostly will disappoint
    • Not touching him - bad knee and too old.
  2. 2. Which free agent RB are you interested in owning (depending on a favorable landing spot)?

• Jamaal Charles
    • LeGarrette Blount
    • DeAngelo Williams

Free Agent RBs article

There's a ton of fantasy history on the RB waiver wire right now. And it seems teams are pretty cool about picking up any 30+ year old back no matter what they once did. Should make for an interesting season since these guys will land somewhere but their outlook may be very minimal compared to past years. But any big name tends to go earlier in the draft than maybe they should.

Not touching Charles and Blount would be JAG for anyone else (maybe save the Raiders).  I'd have some mild interest in D-Will in the right environment.  I think his legs are still semi-fresh after sharing so much with J-Stew in Carolina and then serving as Bell's caddy in Pittsburgh.  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 0:46 PM, darin3 said:

Not touching Charles and Blount would be JAG for anyone else (maybe save the Raiders).  I'd have some mild interest in D-Will in the right environment.  I think his legs are still semi-fresh after sharing so much with J-Stew in Carolina and then serving as Bell's caddy in Pittsburgh.  

Williams is 33 or 34 yrs old and has been banged up the last few yrs. I wouldn't touch him

• 2 weeks later...

I'd think he would have to be around round 7 or 8 or so as the first backup RB. But I would be shocked if he lasted that long. No one signs a big in-season contract as a FA. Whatever he can get is going to be the highest before training camps open I would think. But Peterson, Charles and Blount are all still drifting out there with no one really interested enough. Peterson is the best of the trio but apparently not good enough to be considered as a starting RB anymore or I would assume he would have already been taken.

Peterson is within reach of getting the all-time rushing yards and all-time rushing touchdowns records.  He needs 6,608 more yards rushing and 67 more rushing touchdowns to be the all-time leader in each.   I think he will try to break those records.  Instead of pursuing money or a ring, I think Peterson will go where he can get the most rushing yards and touchdowns.  It wouldn't surprise me if in order to sign that he demands an assurance from the general manager and the coach that he'll get to run the ball 20+ times a game and be given most of the goal line carries.  Peterson is a unique enough athlete that it wouldn't surprise me if he plays into his late 30's and does break those records.  Proposing trade offers of tier 3 wide receivers for Peterson in dynasty leagues could pay off well.

I can't see him coming close to either of those records.  Missing the 2014 and 2016 seasons (for the most part) robbed him of close to 3,000 yards and 20 TDs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Peterson is within reach of getting the all-time rushing yards and all-time rushing touchdowns records.  He needs 6,608 more yards rushing and 67 more rushing touchdowns to be the all-time leader in each.   I think he will try to break those records.  Instead of pursuing money or a ring, I think Peterson will go where he can get the most rushing yards and touchdowns.  It wouldn't surprise me if in order to sign that he demands an assurance from the general manager and the coach that he'll get to run the ball 20+ times a game and be given most of the goal line carries.  Peterson is a unique enough athlete that it wouldn't surprise me if he plays into his late 30's and does break those records.  Proposing trade offers of tier 3 wide receivers for Peterson in dynasty leagues could pay off well.

This is a great point but that would require probably 5+ seasons of almost exclusive work in a backfield to pull off. There is no precedent for someone his age to get anywhere close to that. He may be AP but that's asking a bit too much of the man IMO.

No way that AP gets that TD mark or yardage mark. For TDs, he would need at least 6 more seasons with 11 or so TDs and that is just not feasible even for someone as superior as he has been. If he can put together more than one more 10+ TD year will be good enough.

It's a long shot for him to break either record.  But Peterson is a unique athlete.  When James Andrews performed surgery on him in 2011, Andrews said that he had never seen an athlete's knee with as little wear and tear as Peterson's knee.  Andrews said Peterson's knee was as pristine as a baby's knee.  And for fantasy purposes, Peterson only needs the intention of breaking the records to land on a team where he can get the most stats.  Here is a quote from June 2015 where he says he would like to break the yards record:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-adrian-peterson-rushing-records-20150615-story.html

Speaking to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Peterson said he believes he has a chance to surpass Emmitt Smith as the league's all-time leading rusher despite being forced to sit out the entire 2014 season. Peterson, 30, told the newspaper he wants to play seven or eight more seasons.

"I don't think it's impossible,'' Peterson said. "A lot of things are still to come.... I look at things that anything is possible. [Smith] played 15 years. I'm going into year nine but I've only got eight on the body. That's a long-term goal [to break the record]."

He has averaged about 1200 yards a year over his career, 1500 if you toss out 2014/16.  So he'd need at least 4 years at that production level to reach the yardage mark, and he is already 32.

Its not just a long shot its a really super long shot.