[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Amazon to stream 10 Thursday night games

michaelredd9

One more reason to get rid of cable and start an Amazon Prime membership:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-05/amazon-said-to-pay-50-million-to-stream-nfl-thursday-games

Amazon to Pay $50 Million to Stream NFL Thursday Games: Source

Amazon.com Inc. won the rights to broadcast 10 National Football League Thursday night games live online this season as part of its video subscription service, the online retailer’s latest effort to boost the value of Prime membership.

The e-commerce giant paid $50 million for the one-year deal, according to a person familiar with the agreement. An Amazon spokesman Tuesday confirmed the company gained the streaming rights to the games, but declined to comment further.

Twitter had a similar deal for the NFL’s Thursday night games last year, kicking off a strategy to expand video and boost its appeal to a broader audience. The agreement with the NFL spurred more than 40 partnerships for Twitter to live stream sports, entertainment, news and politics, the company said. But the loss of the contract shows the unpredictability of relying on annual deals to build the business.

“The NFL was a great partner to launch our strategy and we will continue to work with them to bring great content to our passionate sports fans,” Twitter said in a statement.

While the games will continue to be broadcast on television by CBS, NBC and the NFL Network, short-term digital agreements are part of the football league’s strategy leading up to 2021, when the traditional broadcast deals begin to expire. At that point the NFL will be looking at tech companies as possible bidders alongside networks like ESPN, CBS, NBC and Fox.

Amazon has been enhancing its streaming content by making original movies and shows to increase the value of $99-a-year Prime membership, which also includes delivery discounts and photo storage. Customers who watch shows on Amazon during promotional trials are more likely to subscribe to Prime and renew their memberships, the company has said.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. 

LEARN MORE

10 TNF games on Amazon Prime is a reason to spend $100/year on Amazon prime?  My streaming experience has not been that good, at its best still a bit jumpy, maybe I need newer equipment (3 year old tablet). But my 10+ year old TV connected via HDMI to my U-Verse receiver is always crystal clear. Sure I pay a lot for TV, but I watch a lot of TV. I've never considered cutting the cord, I get a headache just trying to figure out what things I'd need to get my entertainment. When I sit on the couch and want to be entertained I want something simple, not involving lots of technology and things that can stop working, be poor quality, etc.

I'll stick to watching these on NFL network which comes on a TV package I'd already be paying for to have various other channels.

The Twitter stream was actually pretty close to a satellite service broadcast in terms of real time and never had an issue with the stream.  I'm curious how this will be used with Prime cause I've only used their video service as a Netflix/Hulu clone. 

20 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I think it's going to still be on CBS? I'm not sure why I would stream when I can watch a better over-the-air signal?

Plus on my TV I can DVR the game and skip all the commercials and halftime blah-blah, games take about 1.5 not 3.5 hours.

13 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

and... there's really only 5-10 minutes worth of interest in a Browns game, so that saves a great deal of time.

Honestly think I probably watched only about half of most games, and almost nothing in the last month or so.

But we'll get them this year :)

• Like 1

On Friday, April 07, 2017 at 2:35 PM, LordOpie said:

You have Brock Oswelier -and- Josh Gordon!

And our choice of QBs at the #1 pick :caqzy:  Well at least most of the media has finally stopped talking about using the #1 pick on a QB and agree Miles Garrett is the right pick. But others are saying #12 or use #12 and other resources to move up, for Turbisky.

• Like 1