[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Official Huddle 2017 NFL Mock Draft DISCUSSION thread

Dcat

I was going watt for the Steelers if he was still there.

Here is a cut and paste from the spreadsheet of the completed round 1.  Sorry if it doesn't format well for mobile phones.  

1 1 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Myles Garrett Texas A&M DE    
1 2 San Francisco 49ers theirish Solomon Thomas Stanford DE    
1 3 Chicago Bears Darin3 Jonathan Allen Alabama DT    
1 4 Jacksonville Jaguars theirish Malik Hooker Ohio State FS    
1 5 Tennessee Titans Darin3 Jamal Adams LSU SS   from Rams
1 6 New York Jets Dcat O.J. Howard Alabama TE    
1 7 Los Angeles Chargers Darin3 Jabrill Peppers Michigan SS    
1 8 Carolina Panthers Irish Leonard Fournette LSU RB    
1 9 Cincinnati Bengals CowboysDiehard Garett Bolles Utah OT    
1 10 Buffalo Bills Big John Marshon Lattimore Ohio State CB    
1 11 New Orleans Saints ajh2 Christian McCaffrey Stanford RB    
1 12 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Reuben Foster Alabama ILB   from Eagles
1 13 Arizona Cardinals Trojanmojo Mitch Trubisky North Carolina QB    
1 14 Philadelphia Eagles fitzkek Derek Barnett Tennessee DE   from Vikings
1 15 Indianapolis Colts BeeR Taco Charlton Michigan DE    
1 16 Baltimore Ravens HBTC Mike Williams Clemson WR    
1 17 Washington Redskins CowboysDiehard Dalvin Cook Florida State RB    
1 18 Tennessee Titans Darin3 Corey Davis Western Michigan WR    
1 19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers HBTC John Ross Washington WR    
1 20 Denver Broncos ajh2 Ryan Ramczyk Wisconsin OT    
1 21 Detroit Lions Def. Marlon Humphrey Alabama CB    
1 22 Miami Dolphins Def. Forrest Lamp Western Kentucky OG    
1 23 New York Giants wpob Deshaun Watson Clemson QB    
1 24 Oakland Raiders CowboysDiehard TreDavious White LSU CB    
1 25 Houston Texans wpob DeShone Kizer Notre Dame QB    
1 26 Seattle Seahawks heehawks Kevin King Washington CB    
1 27 Kansas City Chiefs Dcat Zach Cunningham Vanderbilt OLB    
1 28 Dallas Cowboys Irish Charles Harris Missouri DE    
1 29 Green Bay Packers Big John T.J. Watt Wisconsin OLB    
1 30 Pittsburgh Steelers Irish Takkarist McKinley UCLA OLB    
1 31 Atlanta Falcons   Cam Robinson Alabama OT    
1 32 New Orleans Saints ajh2 Haason Reddick Temple OLB   from Patriots
2 1 Cleveland Browns ajh2         On-the-Clock
2 2 San Francisco 49ers theirish          
2 3 Jacksonville Jaguars theirish          

The Browns get their QB of the future to groom.  Cleveland carefully considered their history of QB futility and realized that rushing their QB to play immediately was part of the reason for the lack of success and being a First round pick.  Cleveland waited so that they could groom and develop their starter with little pressure on him to play.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ajh2 said:

The Browns get their QB of the future to groom.  Cleveland carefully considered their history of QB futility and realized that rushing their QB to play immediately was part of the reason for the lack of success and being a First round pick.  Cleveland waited so that they could groom and develop their starter with little pressure on him to play.

If the browns get Mahomes  in the 2nd after passing on QB in round 1, that'd be awesome. 

With the 49ers I went with Jackson, as they have a gap in CB since they released Brock and they need playmakers on that Defense.

With Jacksonville, it seemed pretty clear cut that they need playmakers on the offense and with getting rid of Thomas, this fills that void.

Went with another defensive guy for the Bears.  They need help all over the field on both side of the ball.  Melifonwu is a fast riser in this draft and if he was there at the top of the 2nd I think the Bears would bite.  Heck, they almost went with a safety in the 1st but opted to go with a big guy in the trenches.  Melifonwu plays safety but can actually shift over to corner.  That flexibility plus his mad athletic skillz make him a nice pick here.  

The Bears' secondary is rife with middling talent (Adrian Amos, Quintin Demps, Harold Jones-Quartey, Deon Bush) and while the Bears could technically use some receiving help I think this would be a terrific pick.  He may actually be better than fellow ex-UConn Husky Byron Jones who is now the FS starter in Dallas.

Time for @Trojanmojo to pick for the Rams.

Edited by darin3

Rams take Tim Williams.  I'd been thinking WR for days but the drop off from the top 3 is steep.  I feel like there should be someone in round 3 available that is somewhere in that next tier of WRs.  The Rams also need help at LB, OL, and CB.  The top guys at CB have questions at this point (injury or slow).  The next guy up on the OL was a guard and I feel like the Rams can get one of those in the 3rd or 4th.  Thus, I went with one the highest rated LBs / edge rushers left.    

27 minutes ago, Trojanmojo said:

Rams take Tim Williams.  I'd been thinking WR for days but the drop off from the top 3 is steep.  I feel like there should be someone in round 3 available that is somewhere in that next tier of WRs.  The Rams also need help at LB, OL, and CB.  The top guys at CB have questions at this point (injury or slow).  The next guy up on the OL was a guard and I feel like the Rams can get one of those in the 3rd or 4th.  Thus, I went with one the highest rated LBs / edge rushers left.    

Christ, I wanted Williams for the Jets, the last of the big name Edge rushers in this draft.  The Edge rushers went faster in this mock than any other I saw.  

With all the top Edge rushers off the board already for the Jets, I went with my best player on my board, Jarrad Davis from the Gators.  And beginning in 2018, ILB will be an area of major need when David Harris leaves/retires.  I can't think of a better replacement to call the signals for the defense and he has a year to learn from David Harris.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

With all the top Edge rushers off the board already for the Jets, I went with my best player on my board, Jarrad Davis from the Gators.  And beginning in 2018, ILB will be an area of major need when David Harris leaves/retires.  I can't think of a better replacement to call the signals for the defense and he has a year to learn from David Harris.  

Don't think Darron Lee is that guy? Not questioning the pick, just wondering if Lee can be that guy.

Was really torn on the Bolts pick here.  Almost went WR but was not impressed with what's left on the upper end there.  Thought about edge rusher but between Ingram and Bosa, they're fairly strong.  Thought about bolstering the OL but that can be achieved later.  

So the Kaaya pick may have been a stretch but he's a perfect project QB for the Bolts as they transition to LA and from Philip Rivers.  Lots of similarities between these guys and Rivers will be a perfect mentor.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darin3 said:

Don't think Darron Lee is that guy? Not questioning the pick, just wondering if Lee can be that guy.

I don't know what to make of Lee.  He looked pretty fast...... all while he was late to the play all the time last year. It felt like nearly every big running play went right directly through Lee. All aboard the express train to the end zone. Color me unimpressed. But then, it could be Bowles fault. I don't think the Jets defense is coached well at all.  So who knows?  For a guy who is supposed to be astute on the defensive side of the ball, Bowles surely doesn't get this group of players inspired to do anything.  Under Bowles they've had a dysfunctional club house. He sure doesn't exude strong leadership and his defensive scheme is a mess.   And for some inexplicable reason, Kacy Rogers returns as the defensive coordinator who is basically an assistant to Bowles running the defense.  It's really not a good time for Jets fans.  

Edited by Dcat

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 0:27 PM, Def. said:

FWIW, they would probably use Kessler as a bridge since he's already on the roster.  Also...

Don't think Hue or the "moneyball" management would take on Smoking Jay either.

They also have Osweiler and may give him a shot to become the starter (bridge or otherwise). I'm hoping they don't use a high pick on a QB, many want Trubisky at 12 (if he's still there which seems reasonable). I'd prefer that pick go to help the D.  I see Mahomes was the pick at #33.

What I was trying to show without hinting at picks was that the "Moneyball" staff evaluate and realize that the best QB, Trubisky, needs to have time to develop completely.  However, at 1and 12, there is the expectation of immediately starting the season and none of the QBs are that complete yet.

Edited by ajh2

• DMD unpinned this topic