[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Official Huddle 2017 NFL Mock Draft DISCUSSION thread

Dcat

6 corners went in 12 picks. That sick little CB run between picks 42 and 54 just left a lot of teams scratching their ass who thought they were going to get one of the top 12 corners in round 3.  Cases in point: NY Jets, Kansas City Chiefs.  

On 4/20/2017 at 6:32 PM, Dcat said:

@HowboutthemCowboys

Tampa Bay has been on the clock again for the last hour+.  You missed your earlier Ravens pick after more than 16 hours.  Can't be waiting that long again.  You've got another hour to check in and make the Bucs pick or we'll do it by committee to keep this rolling. 

Sorry guys. I assumed we were only doing a round (I thought that's all we did last yr). I only signed on because I thought you'd need help just to fill it.

I didn't realize it would go at this pace either tbh. I've drafted in BOTH drafts that we're this "intense" :unsure:

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

12 hours ago, Big John said:

Kamara doesn't need to be a bell cow in GB, but is versatile as a pass-catching RB.

Green Bay needs a new cow.  They sent the old cow packing whoo ended up in the Seattle pasture.  

And here is the completed round 2.  (Probably won't format correctly to smartphones, but you can access on the spreadsheet in Googledocs

2 1 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Patrick Mahomes Texas Tech QB    
2 2 San Francisco 49ers theirish Adoree Jackson Southern California CB    
2 3 Jacksonville Jaguars theirish David Njoku Miami (Fla.) TE    
2 4 Chicago Bears Darin3 Obi Melifonwu Connecticut SS    
2 5 Los Angeles Rams Trojanmojo Tim Williams Alabama OLB    
2 6 Los Angeles Chargers Darin3 Brad Kaaya Miami (Fla.) QB    
2 7 New York Jets Dcat Jarrad Davis Florida ILB    
2 8 Carolina Panthers Irish Carl Lawson Auburn DE    
2 9 Cincinnati Bengals CowboysDiehard Dion Dawkins Temple OG    
2 10 New Orleans Saints ajh2 Gareon Conley Ohio State CB    
2 11 Philadelphia Eagles Orphan2 Quincy Wilson Florida CB    
2 12 Buffalo Bills Big John Cooper Kupp Eastern Washington WR    
2 13 Arizona Cardinals Trojanmojo Teez Tabor Florida CB    
2 14 Indianapolis Colts Orphan1 Cordrea Tankersley Clemson CB    
2 15 Baltimore Ravens HBTC Jordan Willis Kansas State DE    
2 16 Minnesota Vikings Dcat Dan Feeney Indiana OG    
2 17 Washington Redskins CowboysDiehard Tyus Bowser Houston OLB    
2 18 Tampa Bay Buccaneers HBTC Joe Mixon Oklahoma RB    
2 19 Denver Broncos ajh2 Evan Engram Ole Miss TE    
2 20 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Chidobe Awuzie Colorado CB   from Titans
2 21 Detroit Lions Def. Malik McDowell Michigan State DT    
2 22 Miami Dolphins Def. Sidney Jones Washington CB    
2 23 New York Giants wpob Taylor Moton Western Michigan OT    
2 24 Oakland Raiders CowboysDiehard Justin Evans Texas A&M SS    
2 25 Houston Texans wpob Roderick Johnson Florida State OT    
2 26 Seattle Seahawks heehawks Caleb Brantley Florida DT    
2 27 Kansas City Chiefs Dcat JuJu Smith-Schuster Southern California WR    
2 28 Dallas Cowboys Irish Zay Jones East Carolina WR    
2 29 Green Bay Packers Big John Alvin Kamara Tennessee RB    
2 30 Pittsburgh Steelers Irish Budda Baker Washington FS    
2 31 Atlanta Falcons Trojanmojo Marcus Williams Utah FS    
2 32 Carolina Panthers Irish Jourdan Lewis Michigan CB   from Patriots
3 1 Cleveland Browns ajh2         On the Clock

)

With the Browns three rounds complete, here is the rational I used.  1 Defense required.  2 Get a developmental QB in the Second Round at 33.  3. Get playmakers with ability, toughness, attitude, and leadership in some combination.  Rumor has it that Brock the Brick is going to have a chance at starter ... I am not surprised.

• Like 1

I think Antonio Garcia is one of the most underrated players in this draft.  I have heard rumors that the Bears may even take him in the 2nd. :blink:

Big dude, quick for his size, and incredible footwork.  Definitely projects as a solid NFL LT.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I think Antonio Garcia is one of the most underrated players in this draft.  I have heard rumors that the Bears may even take him in the 2nd. :blink:

Big dude, quick for his size, and incredible footwork.  Definitely projects as a solid NFL LT.  

was hoping he would fall to the NY Jets in a couple of picks.  He was the last of the day 2 OTs I had on my board.  You bastid!  Good pick.

15 hours ago, ajh2 said:

With the Browns three rounds complete, here is the rational I used.  1 Defense required.  2 Get a developmental QB in the Second Round at 33.  3. Get playmakers with ability, toughness, attitude, and leadership in some combination.  Rumor has it that Brock the Brick is going to have a chance at starter ... I am not surprised.

1 1 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Myles Garrett Texas A&M DE
1 12 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Reuben Foster Alabama ILB
2 1 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Patrick Mahomes Texas Tech QB
2 20 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Chidobe Awuzie Colorado CB
3 1 Cleveland Browns ajh2 Chris Wormley Michigan DT

How can anyone not like this draft for Cleveland?  Nice work.  Mahomes at 33 was a steal.  He won't drop to round 2 on Thursday, for real.  Also, Foster is now looking at bottom round 1-round 2 due to his continuing issues.  I can easily see Mahomes and Foster switching at these exact same 2 positions, with Mahomes  being taken at 1.12 and Foster at 2.01.  

The steal for the Browns is Chidobe Awuzie at 2.20.  In all probability, he is going to be drafted in the First Round as he is on many boards as a Top 5 CB.  He also can play Safety so there is added value to picking him.

Chargers have yet to really address their most glaring needs, but in a deep draft, you can go BPA and still fill needs later.

Peppers is a do-everything safety that can anchor the back end of the defense for years.

Kaaya is a fast riser who fits the Chargers offense to a T.

Now it's time to fill a need... WR.   Curtis Samuel may be one of the most underrated playmakers in this draft.  Remember all the naysayers of Michael Thomas last year when the Saints drafted him?  "Too small of a sample size... blah blah blah".  Well, the Buckeyes' offense just doesn't operate like an NFL offense.  You see talent, you take it.  Thomas, as we all know, blew up with Drew Brees in New Orleans.

So, with the Travis Benjamin experiment looking like it may be a bust, the Chargers need to fill the void left by Danny Woodhead.  Perfect plug in is Curtis Samuel from OSU.  Dude was only a hair "slower" than John Ross (4.31 40) and is completely electric in space.  Tyrell Williams is a nice secondary WR on the outside but the Bolts need someone to take heat off Keenan Allen and whoever lines up at TE.  Nice little Swiss Army Knife kind of player who can actually spell Melvin Gordon for a few carries a game too.

• Like 1

@CowboysDiehard  DeMarcus Walker is one of the most undervalued gems of the 2017 draft.  Wherever he winds up, there will be one very happy defensive coordinator.  He is going to wreak havoc on the NFL.  Watch his videos.  Great pick.  This is who I was going to pick for New England at pick #72 (was one click away but @heehawks actually made the Basham pick as I was typing).  Walker is 1st round talent IMO.  One of the better values of the draft.  Bonafide beast.  Nicely done.

DeMarcus-Walker-09152016-43.jpg.1795c69d9f53ab9da29e2f86ca4f808b.jpg

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

We'll continue this right up to the beginning of the real draft Thursday evening.  At that point we'll shut it down.  Let's try to get as much of the 3rd round completed as possible.  Would be nice to get to 100 picks.  If there is a team OTC before you that has the word "orphan" in the GM name, then anyone is free to go ahead and make that pick.  That will help get more picks done today and tomorrow up to the draft.  And lets try to check in to make those picks sooner (ahem... Irish, you have like a million picks coming up ;))....  

A great big thanks to those who have stuck around for round 3.  I'm greatly impressed by what a good job everyone is doing with making intelligent picks for their teams.  Let's do this again next year and start a little earlier to recruit more GMs willing to go the 3 rounds.  Thanks for letting me administer this.  It was good practice.

edit: p.s.  if you are only a few picks away from being OTC and you know you won't be available to make that pick quickly, PLEASE PM me a list of picks, in priority, so I can enter it for you.  If you all do that we can get to that 100 pick milestone or maybe even finish round 3 (107 picks).

Edited by Dcat

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

@CowboysDiehard  DeMarcus Walker is one of the most undervalued gems of the 2017 draft.  Wherever he winds up, there will be one very happy defensive coordinator.  He is going to wreak havoc on the NFL.  Watch his videos.  Great pick.  This is who I was going to pick for New England at pick #72 (was one click away but @heehawks actually made the Basham pick as I was typing).  Walker is 1st round talent IMO.  One of the better values of the draft.  Bonafide beast.  Nicely done.

I heard his interview on Moving the Chains with Pat and Jim on Sirius.  Very impressive.  Cowboys could certainly use a guy like him.

• Like 1

The Titans, feeling great about landing both Jamal Adams and Corey Davis, are in a position here to fill a need.  LSU's Duke Riley has a smaller sample size, but only because he was buried behind guys like Kwon Alexander and Deion Jones.  Alexander and Jones are now two of the best LBs (fantasy and otherwise) in the NFL.  Riley may not be as athletically gifted but shares many of the same traits as those former Tigers.  ILB is a need, with Avery Williamson and Wesley Woodyard manning the middle spots.  Williamson has long-term upside but Woodyard is a JAG.  Riley can come along slowly.  

As for Tampa... another team that is feeling pretty good right now, with two boom-or-bust offensive weapons in tow, now time to address team needs.  DL has been picked clean, so safety is the next team need up, and there is still a fairly deep pool here.

Boston College's John Johnson projects well as a free safety in the NFL but needs work.  Keith Tandy and Chris Conte are JAGs so if Johnson's able to soak it in and the athleticism translates into instant impact, then he may start sooner rather than later.

Edited by darin3

On 4/14/2017 at 11:13 PM, TitansFan said:

Honestly, I've seen more Titans' fans wanting Corey Davis over Mike Williams (myself included). Williams' lack of separation is a big concern for me, especially since the Titans coaching staff has yet to show they can scheme WRs open. I think Davis' greater speed and better route running give him the edge. I would be very pleased if they took Davis at 18, even if Williams was still there.

Agree. Mike Williams is a jump ball WR and Mariota doesn't throw jump balls. Davis wins mostly with separation and is a much better fit in TEN. I think Davis is probably the better prospect anyhow. My only concern is that with no measurables and being from a small(ish) school, there is some risk that he doesn't have the requisite athleticism to dominate NFL corners.

• Like 1

Thx for taking this thing over Dcat and running with it. The real deal is here, enjoy all!

• DMD unpinned this topic