[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Draft

BeeR

One week to go...

Here's probably the best mock I've seen, not simply for the picks necessarily but the rationales etc:  http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

What/who do you hope for from your team?  I'm cautiously optimistic about Ballard for the Colts; unlikely he'll pull a Grigson with some bonehead moves (I think/hope).  He's already stated CB, DE, and OL are the priorities, as they should be.  He might nab a LB too, although they made several FA moves there already, so unless a great LB value falls, I say go the best of the other 3 positions (no one guy comes to mind).  If a stud safety falls he best look at that also, we're mighty thin there.  

Edited by BeeR
  • Like 2

I really hope Denver pulls a draft day trade for a current NFL LT.  I'm not convinced any of the top LT prospects can anchor the LT spot for years to come so a trade would be great.  Then let them focus on MLB (especially speed here), large youth on the DL and depth at RB, WR and OLine.

• Like 2

No QB is worthy of more than a late 1st rounder if that.  If CLE goes QB at 1.12 they have IMO effed up (again).  If they can get him I say nab TE Howard.  If 'ski is there at 2.01, then maybe take a shot.  I still don't get why everyone thinks they have to a draft a QB high though.  Kessler looked promising and overlooking him is IMO stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, loaf said:

I really hope the Browns don't overthink it and take Myles Garrett at 1.

I also hope they don't take Mitch Tribusky at 12 and go with OJ Howard

Did you hear this ??

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/855459059226595334

LaCanfora says coaches want Garrett, FO leaning QB in round 1, Haslams say "we gotta use #1 to get QB (Trubisky or trade for Garappalo). I'm hoping it is smoke, if it does happen I'm done with this team and their idiot owner. If I were Hue Jackson, Sashi Brown etc. I'd have told Haslam "I quit you stupid SOB and I'm telling everybody what a moron you are"

I don't think TE is a huge need and would prefer another defensive player (Foster ILB-Alabama)

Edited by stevegrab

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Did you hear this ??

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/855459059226595334

LaCanfora says coaches want Garrett, FO leaning QB in round 1, Haslams say "we gotta use #1 to get QB (Trubisky or trade for Garappalo). I'm hoping it is smoke, if it does happen I'm done with this team and their idiot owner. If I were Hue Jackson, Sashi Brown etc. I'd have told Haslam "I quit you stupid SOB and I'm telling everybody what a moron you are"

It's like the movie Draft Day.

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I don't think TE is a huge need and would prefer another defensive player (Foster ILB-Alabama)

It's not a question of being a big need exactly, just that there's a good chance he is the BPA there and they still need play-makers...a 2 TE set with him and Barnidge (and Coleman hopefully developing and taking defenders downfield in a hurry) could do wonders.  But yeah they need D badly too.

I just read that some "expert" thinks 2 QBs will be drafted in the top 10.  If that happens I will laugh at both teams.  You never know, several from this draft might end up studs, but as it looks right now there is none worthy of a top 10, or even top 20 pick.

NFLN is replaying the first rounds of the most recent drafts (abbreviated to just the picks and comments, not the yawn-inducing filler).  Awesome to see.  You can see how the great teams continue to be great and the crappy ones stay crappy.

Yeah the Browns are torn.  Garrett is the smart pick but they are enamored with Trubisky.  Such a bad move.  That franchise is doomed.

Honestly, they should trade the 1.01, move down and just gather up more 2nds / 3rds.  And not take Trubisky.  He is no better than Cody Kessler.  I fear that Trubisky has bust written all over him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I hope Dallas takes Jerrah's phone away and locks him in a broom closet for four days.  T.J. Watt would be a seriously cool pick for them.

I'm getting a feeling they're comfortable with the dline they have and will be taking CB in the 1st. All depends what happens in front of them of course.

Wouldn't be surprised if they trade down

4 minutes ago, HowboutthemCowboys said:

I'm getting a feeling they're comfortable with the dline they have and will be taking CB in the 1st. All depends what happens in front of them of course.

Wouldn't be surprised if they trade down

Not to turn this into a Cowboys thread :woot: but who do you think shakes out as the top edge guys for them?  Or who do you think the front office thinks will?  

I think edge rusher and CB are both fairly deep in this draft so it may boil down to BPA between DL / edge and corner for America's Team.  I've seen Michigan's Taco Charlton mocked to them.  That'd be nice.  Also, Charles Harris from Mizzou is a guy that could make an instant impact on the edge.  

T.J. Watt has the pedigree but he's only been playing defense for.... 18 months.  He's smart and moldable, though, so guess it comes down to instant impact versus pedigree/upside.  I think Charlton is the safe pick with moderate upside.  I think they can wait on corner.  Outside of Lattimore I don't know if there is a true super-stud corner in this draft.  Humphrey and Conley are nice but you can get an equivalent with possibly more upside in a guy like Kevin King or one of the Gators a round or two later.

12 hours ago, darin3 said:

Not to turn this into a Cowboys thread :woot: but who do you think shakes out as the top edge guys for them?  Or who do you think the front office thinks will?  

They have Irving, Lawrence, Crawford, Collins, Mayowa and Tapper. I don't think of them will get 8 - 10 sacks (Lawrence possibly if he stays healthy I guess) , because none of them are great and Marinelli likes to rotate guys in and out. Which is another reason I think they pass in the 1st

Eta: you've known me long enough to know I'm not a draft/prospect guy so I'm probably wrong here lol. I'm just basing this off what I've read lately

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

13 minutes ago, HowboutthemCowboys said:

They have Irving, Lawrence, Crawford, Collins, Mayowa and Tapper. I don't think of them will get 8 - 10 sacks (Lawrence possibly if he stays healthy I guess) , because none of them are great and Marinelli likes to rotate guys in and out. Which is another reason I think they pass in the 1st

Eta: you've known me long enough to know I'm not a draft/prospect guy so I'm probably wrong here lol. I'm just basing this off what I've read lately

Yeah, I know they have a gaggle of DL guys that are all "decent".  I agree that Lawrence is probably the most likely to get 8-10 sacks out of that group.  Perhaps with Marinelli's constant rotation they may just pass on DL and grab a CB if one of the top 3-4 fall.

35 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Yeah, I know they have a gaggle of DL guys that are all "decent".  I agree that Lawrence is probably the most likely to get 8-10 sacks out of that group.  Perhaps with Marinelli's constant rotation they may just pass on DL and grab a CB if one of the top 3-4 fall.

I think Dallas makes a draft day trade and acquires Sheldon Richardson

1 minute ago, whomper said:

I think Dallas makes a draft day trade and acquires Sheldon Richardson

I doubt the Jets would take the 3.28 pick for him.  It would have to be the 2.28 pick or 3.28 now with a 2nd rounder next year.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I doubt the Jets would take the 3.28 pick for him.  It would have to be the 2.28 pick or 3.28 now with a 2nd rounder next year.

It is only the opinion of a reporter but see below

According to the New York Post's Brian Costello, a fourth-round pick is "about as much" the Jets can hope for in exchange for DE Sheldon Richardson.

Analysis: This jibes with what has been reported over the past couple weeks, especially since the Eagles acquired DT Timmy Jernigan from the Ravens by exchanging third-rounders. The Jets are fully expected to keep shopping Richardson on draft weekend, but a possible hangup may be Richardson only having one year left on his deal. He's said to be looking for a $100 million extension. (That's laughable considering his off-field past and bad 2016.) A fourth- or fifth-rounder may be all that's offered, and GM Mike Maccagnan will have to weigh whether it's enough.

12 minutes ago, whomper said:

It is only the opinion of a reporter but see below

According to the New York Post's Brian Costello, a fourth-round pick is "about as much" the Jets can hope for in exchange for DE Sheldon Richardson.

Analysis: This jibes with what has been reported over the past couple weeks, especially since the Eagles acquired DT Timmy Jernigan from the Ravens by exchanging third-rounders. The Jets are fully expected to keep shopping Richardson on draft weekend, but a possible hangup may be Richardson only having one year left on his deal. He's said to be looking for a $100 million extension. (That's laughable considering his off-field past and bad 2016.) A fourth- or fifth-rounder may be all that's offered, and GM Mike Maccagnan will have to weigh whether it's enough.

they's probably keep him rather than taking a 4th round pick.  If he leaves as an UFA after the 2017 season, there's a chance the jets coould get a 4th, perhaps a 3rd, comp pick in the 2018 draft anyway, but of course that all depends on the net gains/losses the Jets get with Free agency.  Either way it's a crap shoot.  You'd think Jerry Jones would have had enough of taking players with serious suspension history.  I am astonished that the Cowboys would consider him at all.  Sheldon is one puff/one arrest away from a year-long suspension too.  That's the main thing bringing his value down to a 4th. 

Edited by Dcat

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

They supposedly like Tapper alot. We'll see 

Some top prospects draft status may be tumbling, if a name is released before the draft.

Top NFL draft prospect accused of sexual assault in Cleveland

Guy who heard some of this on the radio says speculation is one of the OSU DBs (Lattimore or Hooker) both are from Cleveland area.

ETA:  I was misinformed, Hooker is not from CLE area (closer to PIT from New Castle PA).

Edited by stevegrab