[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Audible/Audio Books

satelliteoflovegm

We are Legion, We are Bob was very enjoyable.

i listened to “The Land” by Aleron Kong.  Mildly entertaining, but not a hardy recomendation.

Off To Be The Wizard was also mildly entertaining, maybe becaue I really enjoy Luke Daniels narration.  As much as i like Nick Podehl’s work on Kingkiller Chronicles, I think luke would have been a better choice given the main character’s supposed Baritone voice.

Ender’s Game and Ready Player One are good listens.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Really limited titles, though

Upon review, yes. But...if you see one you like I can say that Commune Book 2 is very very good.

Of course you'd then need Commune book 1 but...value there to some.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:26 PM, Caveman_Nick said:

Really limited titles, though

For what I normally like to read, yes agreed.

I've had a couple of buddies at work recommend "It's Your Ship" by Captain D. Michael Abrashoff. I hold them both in high regard so I have it on the cart for now.

I also saw "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman. I'm just a huge fan of Gaiman. I read his Vertigo series Sandman right when it came out and I was still in College. This one book is only 5 hours long so I'll probably pass on it. 

I'll keep browsing as time permits. But yes, it would be great to have a larger or at least complete series here and there.

• 5 months later...

A short one (4-5 hours) that I recently really liked: Improv Wisdom, by Patricia Ryan Madson.

Teaches you how to apply the rules of theatrical improvisation to daily lives, be less anxious and focus on the present moment. Inspirational and also very practical. For personal, professional and sports life alike.

• Like 1

So last year the family picked up listening to the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, I'm at Changes (Book 12) now and this is probably my favorite series on audible to date. It is about a Wizard who also happens to be a Private Detective in Chicago, IL. And he openly advertises both professions. The narrator, Marsters, is also my favorite to date. Really good series with a little bit of everything and great story lines. Really digging Harry Dresden as a character.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the movie JAWS? Then don't read the audiobook unless you want to hear Mrs. Brody's rape fantasies. For sure a case of the movie blowing the book out of the water. so to speak.

Been using the LIBBY app and borrowing audiobooks from our local libraries. Cool for those iffy titles you might not want to risk paying for.

I assume the selections and wait times vary by location but I have enjoyed some good content that I either missed in my early days or whatever.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was amazing.

"Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy was a violent gloomy crazy ride. 

"Fear" was interesting and scary.

"A Man Called Ove" was really great and soon to be a Tom Hanks movie (Currently a foreign film)

"The Real West" by Bill O'Reilly was really good. I love Deadwood and was craving some history on gunfighters and the wild west in general. Very good!

• 3 months later...

Just finished Lonesome Dove on a Libby borrow. As a kid when the series came out I avoided it as it sounded stupid from the title. Some sappy love story I thought.

I watched the mini-series a couple years ago and was blown away how good it was. Some issues being made for TV and perhaps a budget shortcut or two, but it was great.

I saw the 37 hour audiobook and borrowed it. Maybe one of the most surprisingly funny books I've read.

Epic sweeping story. If you've never seen the series or read the book I'd recommend both highly.

-------------------

We Are Bob is a good book and I like Ray Porter, the narrator, however, quite possibly every line of every character in every book he narrates is dipped in unyielding sarcasm. It gets tiresome to me. Does he have to play every character as a Dill Josh Gordon? The book was kinda cool, but I don't see me continuing the series.

• 3 months later...

I haven't listened to audio books, but I love podcasts. Of late, I've been listening to The New Yorker's Writers Read podcast, and it's quite great. Certainly, it's a literature podcast, so not much sports-related happening there. But I do love to read psychology texts in relation to sports. I play ultimate, and reading psych helps sometimes. Currently reading Schultz and Schultz's Theories of Personality. Interesting in the context of how much pressure student athletes face: they gotta do well academically, on the field, please parents, teachers, friends, and the school. Not many handle this too well, and understandably so. Doesn't matter whether you're a so-call introvert or extrovert, pressure is pressure. The book deals with, among other things, how therapy can help us overcome pressure and other barriers. Quite interesting.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 8:42 PM, Caveman_Nick said:

We are Legion, We are Bob was very enjoyable.

i listened to “The Land” by Aleron Kong.  Mildly entertaining, but not a hardy recomendation.

Off To Be The Wizard was also mildly entertaining, maybe becaue I really enjoy Luke Daniels narration.  As much as i like Nick Podehl’s work on Kingkiller Chronicles, I think luke would have been a better choice given the main character’s supposed Baritone voice.

Ender’s Game and Ready Player One are good listens.

I enjoyed Off To Be The Wizard as well. The narration was good and funny. This, along with Ready Player One are a little, "hey here's a cool thing from your childhood, love this book please" for me.

But I did like them both and finished them quickly. If you like one you'd like the other.

Let's talk Dean Koontz please...

So here's a guy I never read and he has so many books I figured he's a watered-down mainstream boring author. Not to mention some movies from his books look terrible.

I was never a big reader in my younger days, a regret. I could have become a really big fan. Well I am now.

So I listened to The Watchers from Koontz. Absolutely loved it. The perfect blend of action and conspiracy/sci-fi. at a believable level for me. I just thought it was smart and great. Big fan. Never saw the movie, but from reading about it, they made some changes he didn't care for.

That's the good news. Bad news, he considers it equal to his best or favorite or flat out his best book. So where do I go from here? I reading Lightning which is good too. So what are the Koontz must-reads?