[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which tight end do you have at number 2?

michaelredd9

Most everyone still has Gronkalwaysinjuredski at the top of their tight end rankings.  Who do you rank number 2 and what is the earliest you'd consider drafting him?  I realize a lot of you don't like answering questions like this because you're involved in so many BoTH leagues.

Edited by michaelredd9

A lot depends on whether you get reception points. Without them, I would not consider a TE until maybe round 9 or later. With them, I might consider Jordan Reed around  round 7 or so but usually there are other guys that take them too early in my opinion so I end up taking a TE around round 8 or 9 so once half a dozen are already gone.

1 hour ago, DMD said:

A lot depends on whether you get reception points. Without them, I would not consider a TE until maybe round 9 or later. With them, I might consider Jordan Reed around  round 7 or so but usually there are other guys that take them too early in my opinion so I end up taking a TE around round 8 or 9 so once half a dozen are already gone.

I also have Reed ranked number 2.  Kelce has a higher adp but his ceiling is limited with Alex Smith only throwing 15-20 touchdowns per year.  Reed, on the other hand, has put up Gronkesque numbers when healthy.  I think I would pull the trigger on Reed in the 5th round.  Their isn't much of a difference between the running backs and wide receivers that are drafted in the 5th round than with the running backs and wide receivers drafted in the 10th round.  But with Reed and Kelce having early 4th round adps, I doubt they'll be available in the 5th round.   

Traditionally, I have liked drafting tight ends early.  There was a time I liked drafting Ben Coates or Shannon Sharpe in the 3rd round.  Then there was a period where I seemed to get Tony Gonzalez in the 5th or 6th round every year.  Over the last 5 years, I've generally tried to get a top 5 or 6 tight end which meant drafting one in rounds 5-7.  It's nice having a tight end you can count on so that you don't have to waste roster spots playing musical chairs finding a good one.  But with the number of tier 1 and tier 2 tight ends ever increasing, the need to grab a tight end early keeps diminishing.  There are 11 tight ends this year I would be happy to have as my starter.  Since most drafts have several people who won't draft a tight end until all of their other starters are drafted, it is pretty much guaranteed a quality tight end will be available in rounds 8-10.  Rudolph, Ertz, and Bennett all have 9th round adps.  That is nice value for a tier 2 tight end.  It is such nice value that grabbing two of them might be good strategy.

Edited by michaelredd9

• 3 weeks later...

if eifert we're a surer bet to play 16 games, i might have to go with him. even in an injury riddled season like 2016 he's putting up stats that are just as good if not better than anyone other than gronk. i think he's a pretty strong challenge to Reed for highest ceiling if they were to both play 16 games. and greg olsen gets it done every year. pretty safe pick. i like both eifert and olsen more than kelce at whatever their values (most likely) end up being. kelce's been getting so much hype since the end of last season - i guess he's the de facto number two. maybe with maclin gone there's a better argument to be made than there was over the winter, but i've never been a fan of the kelce hype and i doubt i'll draft him at all this year. would much prefer eifert, olsen, marty b, ebron, hh and probably a few others at whatever their draft values end up being compared to taking kelce in the 3rd. hell now that i look at current ADPs i see gronk's only about 12 spots ahead of kelce - would definitely take that instead.

Edited by pun

14 hours ago, pun said:

a surer bet to play 16 games

It sure seems that the elite tight ends get hurt a lot.  Their injury rate has to be higher than that of running backs.  Even more reason to wait until rounds 8-14 and then grab two.  In the past, I've usually rostered 6 or 7 wide receivers and only 1 tight end and 1 quarterback.  I think I might start drafting a 2nd tight end and a 2nd quarterback and only roster 4 or 5 wide receivers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

It sure seems that the elite tight ends get hurt a lot.  Their injury rate has to be higher than that of running backs.  Even more reason to wait until rounds 8-14 and then grab two.  In the past, I've usually rostered 6 or 7 wide receivers and only 1 tight end and 1 quarterback.  I think I might start drafting a 2nd tight end and a 2nd quarterback and only roster 4 or 5 wide receivers.

I typically do exactly the same thing.  Try to load up on WR's and RB's and roster only 1 QB and 1 TE.  Been thinking the same thing and plan to pick up 2 TE's this year due to injury and just not being sold on many TE's.