[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas/ Oklahoma

theeohiostate

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think this year Texas gets it done? This is one of the worst Oklahama D's i can remeber seeing, this is their chance.

457581[/snapback]

Yep, I am right there with you on this one. I think Texas wins on the legs of Benson.

The pendulum swings in 2004.

-Grodin

Yep they just held the highest scoring team in the country to 13 pts.  The D looks real vulnerable doesnt it.  :D

As long as Mack Brown is at Texas, OU will continue to whip em.

457777[/snapback]

Anyone could have picked OU to beat Pecker Tech. That win doesnt mean much at all to me.

Reasons;

Ou still has a ton of athletic talent on offense and defense. They can match up with Pecker Tech. Pecker tech has a gunslinger of a quarterback, but he cant make accurate throws when he is running for his life.

Ou was at home.

Pecker Tech was known for turning the ball over - that is something you cannot do versus OU

Pecker Tech cant run the ball. You cannot outshoot OU IMO.

All that White had to do during that game is give the ball to Peterson and be an office manager QB. Efficient when needed to be, dont turn the ball over, and burn clock. Great win, sure - but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

No Athena, but for the Sooners D to hold that offense to 13 pts is eye opening.

Texas QB Vince Young cant make big throws and doesnt have the Wrs to make OU put a safety deep in coverage.

OU will spy Young, and bring 8 men into the box to stop Benson.

Texas cant cover the Ou Wrs, and will have trouble stopping Adrian Peterson as well.

When OU is up by 17, Texas will turn the ball over at least 3 more times to help OU completely bust the game over, as Texas is not built with Young to play catchup.

Stoops will outcoach Brown once again, which IMO is just as big a factor as the talent on the field. OU has too much talent on both sides of the ball to let this opportunity to slip away.

There are alot of haters here, but facts are facts and Texas has no chance vs OU. Tech actually poses more a threat to score on the Sooners than Texas does and we saw how that turned out today. Benson is the exact type of back that the OU defense dominates. He is a big back, with avg speed, but isnt elusive and can't outrun some of the OU DL, let alone LBs and DBs.

This game will be another blowout.

Anyone else think this year Texas gets it done? This is one of the worst Oklahama D's i can remeber seeing, this is their chance.

457581[/snapback]

YOu sure you weren;t watching the OS Who D that just gave up 33 pts to Northwestern, :D

OU just held the nations leading scoring team to 13 pts. Not sure what games you were watching today, but if any defense looked bad it was the one who just let Northwestern score the winning TD in OT from 25 yds out on 4 straight running plays.

No Athena,  but for the Sooners D to hold that offense to 13 pts is eye opening.

Texas QB Vince Young cant make big throws and doesnt have the Wrs to make OU put a safety deep in coverage. 

Texas cant cover the Ou Wrs, and will have trouble stopping Adrian Peterson as well.

When OU is up by 17, Texas will turn the ball over at least 3 more times to help OU completely bust the game over, as Texas is not built with Young to play catchup.

Stoops will outcoach Brown once again, which IMO is just as big a factor as the talent on the field.  OU has too much talent on both sides of the ball to let this opportunity to slip away.

There are alot of haters here, but facts are facts and Texas has no chance vs OU.  Tech actually poses more a threat to score on the Sooners than Texas does and we saw how that turned out today.  Benson is the exact type of back that the OU defense dominates.  He is a big back, with avg speed, but isnt elusive and can't outrun some of the OU DL, let alone LBs and DBs.

457886[/snapback]

Congratulations. OU just beat another unranked team at home. Go TEXAS!

No Athena,  but for the Sooners D to hold that offense to 13 pts is eye opening.

Stoops will outcoach Brown once again, which IMO is just as big a factor as the talent on the field.  OU has too much talent on both sides of the ball to let this opportunity to slip away.

There are alot of haters here, but facts are facts and Texas has no chance vs OU.  Tech actually poses more a threat to score on the Sooners than Texas does and we saw how that turned out today.  Benson is the exact type of back that the OU defense dominates.  He is a big back, with avg speed, but isnt elusive and can't outrun some of the OU DL, let alone LBs and DBs.

457886[/snapback]

I sure hope everything you say is right..... I have went to all the OU home games this yaer so far.... and I wouldn't be surprisewd if UT pulls the upset this yaer.

But god willing and a little SOONER magic OU will be 5-0 after next weekend.

OU will spy Young,

Sorry, Sgt., but Stoops has never and will never put a spy on an opposing player. He's pretty adimant about it. That being said, with Lack Crown is on the other sideline and being UTerus one dimensional, it's not too close. OU by24.

I don't see Texas winning this game but after last year's ass kicking they will be ready. I like OU by 10. Don't see a route.

460266[/snapback]

Ou got em good last year. Before Texas knew it ( thanks to turnovers and big plays for OU) they were down 21pts. You cannot play catch up with OU - they will tear you apart that way.

But, that was then - this is now.

I think Texas wins the game in a close one. Something like 31-27 would be my score prediction. Cedric Benson will carry them to the victory in Dallas.

If texas can last the first half without getting down more than 10 - then my prediction should come true. If they turn the ball over, then OU will do it to them again. Gotta run the ball, and get Vince on the roll out and let him make things happen. Vince has to be smart with the ball as well.

Ive said this before and Ill say it again, before Vince is a top pick in the NFL draft he will beat OU once, but this is not the year.

OU has too many weapons on offense for Texas to deal with. OU doesnt have to respect the pass, and can load 8 men in the box to stop the run, Vince and Cedric. Cedric imo will get completely shut down. Probably less than 70 rushing yds on the day. Vince may get close to a hundred rushing as OU will have a harder time stopping him on rollouts.

I just see no way possible, OU loses this game. The Texas D is going to play zone, which will allow Travis Wilson, Mark Clayton and Brandon Jones to sit in spots, or take slats to the house. If they put their saftey back in coverage Adrian Peterson will rush for 150 yds. OU defense has to completely fall apart like it did vs KSU to make this a game, imo. I predict 42-27 SOONERS

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Yep they just held the highest scoring team in the country to 13 pts.  The D looks real vulnerable doesnt it.  :D

As long as Mack Brown is at Texas, OU will continue to whip em.

457777[/snapback]

Highest scoring team in the country?? TOOT TOOT, let me have some of that B)

Tech only put up 27 on Southern Methodist

24 on New Mexico

and 31 on Kansas

I'd say OU held this massive scoring team down pretty tight wouldn't you?? :D

Highest scoring team in the country?? TOOT TOOT, let me have some of that :D

Tech only put up 27 on Southern Methodist

24 on New Mexico

and 31 on Kansas

I'd say OU held this massive scoring team down pretty tight wouldn't you?? :D

460747[/snapback]

and 70 on TCU. During the game, the announcers said Tech was the highest scoring team in the country. Honestly I didnt do the research to see, as I trusted what I heard. If its is wrong, my apologies.

I'm pretty sure OU will win, but this is their first real test - the first UT team with a real shot to give them a hard time of it in years (only because of Benson), and it's in TX. It will tell us a lot about where Stoops can take this team this year.

If OU barely pulls it out, then we'll have to endure excuses by Sgt. Ryan and the others, as to why OU's sitch was different from USC pulling one out last week vs. Stanford, etc., blah, blah, blah...

A-HA! That worked as planned - Cal is clearly a cut above Stanford in my book too. So, who will have the greater margin of victory this weekend, OU or USC? How about an avatar (online for 1 week) bet? Obviously, this goes for if one of our team loses and the other wins, also.

You must admit, this would be better than losing an avatar bet to a UT fan.

If they both somehow lose, the bet's off, and the apocalypse is upon us....

Ive said this before and Ill say it again, before Vince is a top pick in the NFL draft he will beat OU once, but this is not the year.

OU has too many weapons on offense for Texas to deal with.  OU doesnt have to respect the pass, and can load 8 men in the box to stop the run, Vince and Cedric.  Cedric imo will get completely shut down.  Probably less than 70 rushing yds on the day.  Vince may get close to a hundred rushing as OU will have a harder time stopping him on rollouts.

I just see no way possible, OU loses this game.  The Texas D is going to play zone, which will allow Travis Wilson, Mark Clayton and Brandon Jones to sit in spots, or take slats to the house.  If they put their saftey back in coverage Adrian Peterson will rush for 150 yds.  OU defense has to completely fall apart like it did vs KSU to make this a game, imo.  I predict 42-27 SOONERS

460478[/snapback]

Ou doesnt scare me like they did last year. Dont get me wrong, they are still a very talented and potent team - but last year's team and this year's team are 2 different leagues IMO. OU was a highlight reel last year and I am still amazed that they didnt tear LSU apart. But, I will agree with you here SGT that if White's knees are 100% last year .... OU doesnt get stopped. No way.

Last year's OU team blew teams up. Texas made a couple of mistakes early and OU was off to the races from there. Ou has yet to prove that big play potential of last year - so far versus cupcake u 1,2,3.

Reasons I think Texas wins:

- Clayton is still a bad ass, but he can be covered this year. Last year that was not the case. Ou had too many big play wrs in 2003.

- Vince has more experience than last year... and Mock is out of the picture.

- Benson needs this game to stake his claim on the heisman.

- Ou's defense is good, but may have lost too much in the form of NFL draftees, and Mike Stoops departure to AZ. Venables still has to prove that he can get that defense back to the red swarm that it was last year.

- Dont know if OU can stick 8 in the box to stop Benson and live to tell about it. Vince has an arm, and great speed. Texas' Wrs might be young, but I dont know how comfortable I would feel living on the blitz all game.

Keys to the game :

- Pressure White ! . The guy can make plays. Cannot let him get comfortable

- He who can run and stop the opponents run wins.

- He who turns the ball over loses.

- Mack Brown - can he effectively coach the big game. Stoops has allready proven that he can.

- Can Texas' defense rise to the challenge.

All in all, I think Texas wins in a close game.

OU didnt lose a single person on Offense but RB Renaldo Works, and Adrian Peterson took his place, providing a huge upgrade. Travis Wilson is emerging as a star in Norman. He was just a pup last yr, and will blow UT up, if they double Clayton or Jones. Clayton has caught just about everything thrown his way, and has been clutch on 3rd down.

OU has been trying to establish the run and has been very succesful doing so, preventing the hits White takes thus far. So the potent offense you saw last yr is still there, just hasnt been needed yet. But this week, look out. OU has played very very conservative in its games thus far, why do you think that is. UT doesnt have the Wrs to scare anyone. UT doesnt have the defensive backs to stop the OU Wrs, and UT wont be able to stop Peterson consistently enough to win the game.

I too thought OU would destroy LSU, and I have to say Stoops was outcoached in the game, and should have played backup QB Paul Thompson over a gimpy White. This is no excuse, LSU won the game. OU lost alot on D, Tommie Harris, Derrick Strait, Teddy Lehman and Brandon Everage. But replaced some of those with LB Rufus Alexander, who if you havent heard of him yet, just wait till Saturday. hes a bone crushing LB, who has more fire than Calmus or Lehman combined. Donte Nichalson takes over at S, for Everage. Harris and Strait I dont think have been replaced fully. The DT position is the biggest hole on the team, and losing Dusty Dvorcek for the yr, for conduct detrimental to the team, was a huge blow. He and Harris blew up Texas OL last yr causing all sorts of havoc. Jonathon Jackson and Dan Cody will put pressue from the outside, but inside is where OU avoid a pass rush.

All in All, Texas lost alot more than OU did with Wrs Roy Williams, Sloan Thomas, and Bj Johnson moving onto the NFL. Vince is a yr older, but Vince isnt effective throwing the mediate to short stuff, only the bombs to those Wrs from last yr. He is going to be more a factor running than passing. TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... D was suspect last yr vs a high octane offense, and I see nothing has really changed there. KC Chiefs were suppose to be better on D this yr as well, with the return of Gunther. Guess what, it was lip service, as the product on the field is the same. Same thing with UT. Their DL is very avg, they will have to blitz to get pressure on White, and their CBs are suspect. They have 2 great LBs, Derrick Johnson and from my High School alma Mater Aaron Harris. But Stoops will have a plan to expose them as well. I simply don't see this as a game.

I can honestly say i havent seen Cal play once. I have no idea how good they are. I wouldnt bet on them, not knowing if they could actually deliver. I hear they are a top 10 team by the writers, but these are the same writers that said USC deserved a piece of LSU's title, and I still completely disagree with that. They had a cake walk game at home in Pasadena while LSU had to play the Sooners.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

OU didnt lose a single person on Offense but RB Renaldo Works, and Adrian Peterson took his place, providing a huge upgrade.  Travis Wilson is emerging as a star in Norman.  He was just a pup last yr, and will blow UT up, if they double Clayton or Jones.  Clayton has caught just about everything thrown his way, and has been clutch on 3rd down.

OU has been trying to establish the run and has been very succesful doing so, preventing the hits White takes thus far.  So the potent offense you saw last yr is still there, just hasnt been needed yet. But this week, look out.  OU has played very very conservative in its games thus far, why do you think that is.  UT doesnt have the Wrs to scare anyone.  UT doesnt have the defensive backs to stop the OU Wrs, and UT wont be able to stop Peterson consistently enough to win the game.

I too thought OU would destroy LSU, and I have to say Stoops was outcoached in the game, and should have played backup QB Paul Thompson over a gimpy White.  This is no excuse, LSU won the game.  OU lost alot on D, Tommie Harris, Derrick Strait, Teddy Lehman and Brandon Everage.  But replaced some of those with LB Rufus Alexander, who if you havent heard of him yet, just wait till Saturday.  hes a bone crushing LB, who has more fire than Calmus or Lehman combined.  Donte Nichalson takes over at S, for Everage.  Harris and Strait I dont think have been replaced fully.  The DT position is the biggest hole on the team, and losing Dusty Dvorcek for the yr, for conduct detrimental to the team, was a huge blow.  He and Harris blew up Texas OL last yr causing all sorts of havoc.  Jonathon Jackson and Dan Cody will put pressue from the outside, but inside is where OU avoid a pass rush.

All in All, Texas lost alot more than OU did with Wrs Roy Williams, Sloan Thomas, and Bj Johnson moving onto the NFL.  Vince is a yr older, but Vince isnt effective throwing the mediate to short stuff, only the bombs to those Wrs from last yr. He is going to be more a factor running than passing. TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... D was suspect last yr vs a high octane offense, and I see nothing has really changed there.  KC Chiefs were suppose to be better on D this yr as well, with the return of Gunther.  Guess what, it was lip service, as the product on the field is the same.  Same thing with UT.  Their DL is very avg, they will have to blitz to get pressure on White, and their CBs are suspect.  They have 2 great LBs, Derrick Johnson and from my High School alma Mater Aaron Harris.  But Stoops will have a plan to expose them as well.  I simply don't see this as a game.

I can honestly say i havent seen Cal play once.  I have no idea how good they are.  I wouldnt bet on them, not knowing if they could actually deliver.  I hear they are a top 10 team by the writers, but these are the same writers that said USC deserved a piece of LSU's title, and I still completely disagree with that.  They had a cake walk game at home in Pasadena while LSU had to play the Sooners.

461356[/snapback]

"Vince is a yr older, but Vince isnt effective throwing the mediate to short

stuff, only the bombs to those Wrs from last yr."

Interesting, since Vince has 8 TD's and 2 INTS in about 11 quarters of play, and is 12th in the country in passing efficiency. But I guess he's not "effective"

"Vince is a yr older, but Vince isnt effective throwing the mediate to short

stuff, only the bombs to those Wrs from last yr." 

Interesting, since Vince has 8 TD's and 2 INTS in about 11 quarters of play, and is 12th in the country in passing efficiency. But I guess he's not "effective"

461792[/snapback]

Just wait until this weekend and our Sooners will show you just how 'effective' he is :D .