[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anyone else think P. Holmes might be done?

CaptainHook

I know it's WAY too early to say, but, if Priest Holmes has season-ending knee surgery , what do you think the chances are of him coming back next year? We all know he considered retirement before this season. The Chiefs poor play and the injury just might push him over the edge. Any thoughts?

Edited by CaptainHook

I know it's too early to say, but, if he has surgery and is out for the rest of this year, what do you think the chances are of him coming back next year?  He considered retirement before this year.  Now, the Chiefs had a bad year, he has a knee injury that may require surgery.  Thoughts?

563139[/snapback]

"IF" he has a major knee injury that requires surgery, I believe he is done. On top of that, KC has two young backs that could have nice futures. Blaylock, already, is showing signs of effectiveness.

If he has a level 2 strain....he'll probably have to have surgery.

563143[/snapback]

But I thought that he wasn't supposed to need surgery if it was only a level-two strain? I'm not an M.D., so I'm pretty much clueless about that.

If it's only a slight muscle tear, I think he'll be back next year, surgery or not. I think that it'd take a full ligament tear (which requires almost a full year's worth of rehab) for him to call it quits.

Priest will not retire because of an injury. First of all, he considered retirement only because he wanted to spend more time with his family. His dad then talked him out of it (before he went to Iraq) and told him to play as long as he still loved playing because his family would still be there when he was done. Secondly, Priest is a very proud man and he wants to be remebered as one of the great running backs of all time. So until he feels he has done that, he will keep playing.

Secondly, Priest is a very proud man and he wants to be remebered as one of the great running backs of all time.

563670[/snapback]

No offense to Priest, who's been one of the Top 5 backs in the league in each of his four seasons in KC, but there's no way that he'll be put in that category. He simply hasn't played long enough. Even if he plays next year, he'll only have been a featured back for six seasons, has only one rushing title (with less than 1,600 yds), and his SB ring came from being a backup. His legacy will be limited to the best back in Chiefs history and back-to-back 20-TD seasons. Impressive, but not HOF material either.

I think that he has another productive year left in him. After that, it's going to get a lot tougher, given that his knees have been beaten up pretty badly over the years.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Folks, Some were indicating Leftwitch would be out for the year too after he went in for a 2nd opinion.

Lets not put the cart before the horse.

At this point, there is more evidence he will only miss a few weeks of action, then there is too support he is done for the year.

Retirement- And I thought already indicating he was out for this season was bordering on an insane level of pure speculation????

Edited by gspot

Speculation about athletes retiring is futile. Everyone keeps trying to predict when Favre will quit, and now Priest. Athletes may think about it because its going to come eventually, but I think in 90% of the cases they play until their bodies won't let them anymore. I don't think Priest is any different. If his knee isn't too bad he'll be back. Where else can they make that kind of money?

Let's just hope he doesn't go the way of Jerry Rice. Any thoughts on when he'll retire?

Keep in mind that even if Priest has to get surgery, this is not a ruptured MCL/ACL. It's quite possible that, even with surgery, he could be back for week 16-17. Of course, that won't help the Chiefs this year.

So no, I don't think he is going to retire. If he really blew out his knee, then I would consider it possible that he would bow out, mostly because the Chiefs don't look like they will be making the Superbowl anytime soon. But without a major injury, he will be back.

So trading for him in a Keeper League is just basically a stupid idea all together, huh.

563467[/snapback]

He had a similar injury in Balt and needed surgery. I doubt if he'll retire unless he has to. Athletes hate retiring like this. They want to chose the time if they can. Blaylock is a good fill in, but is no Priest. The guy is very special.