[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh McCown Benched

Big Score 1

King starts today against Panthers

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Nov. 21, 2004 12:00 AM

Coach Dennis Green has decided to bench Josh McCown, who started all nine games this season, in favor of Shaun King, a person close to the situation said. McCown and King split work with the first team last week in practice, and Green informed players of the decision Saturday night.

McCown benched by Green

With the change at QB, does this do anything for Boldin or Fitz's numbers? In other words what's King's fantasy impact, if any?

567969[/snapback]

King sucks. He has some mobility, but can't pass worth a crap. I remember him being third on the depth chart in TB, behind Rob Johnson.

I don't know why Denny did that. McCown may be struggling, but he's obviously the more talented QB.

King sucks.  He has some mobility, but can't pass worth a crap.  I remember him being third on the depth chart in TB, behind Rob Johnson.

I don't know why Denny did that.  McCown may be struggling, but he's obviously the more talented QB.

567974[/snapback]

According to Footballinjuries- McCown is hurt- he has some sort of neck stinger or something that has bothered him all week- I think this is purely a medical decision, not necessarily a "benching", but I could be wrong.

I think this is purely a medical decision, not necessarily a "benching", but I could be wrong.

567987[/snapback]

Did you even bother to read the full article provided by the link?

Sure doesn't sound like a medical decision. :D

King sucks.  He has some mobility, but can't pass worth a crap.  I remember him being third on the depth chart in TB, behind Rob Johnson.

I don't know why Denny did that.  McCown may be struggling, but he's obviously the more talented QB.

567974[/snapback]

Didn't King get the Bucs to within a couple of games of the Super Bowl a few years back? All the while playing "Dungy" ball, so he was always in 3rd and long passing situations and throwing to less than studly WR's like Bert Emanuel. Seems like he got full of himself after that season and didn't dedicate himself in the off season like he should've. If he's got his head on right and re-dedicated himself to improving as a QB, we may get a better read on King's abilities in this offense.

Third string behind Rob "I got no" Johnson was Chucky's call. For that matter, Rob "I got no" Johnson being with the Bucs, was also Chucky's call.

Probably a personell move Chucky would like for everyone to forget. :D

Didn't King get the Bucs to within a couple of games of the Super Bowl a few years back? All the while playing "Dungy" ball, so he was always in 3rd and long passing situations and throwing to less than studly WR's like Bert Emanuel.

568075[/snapback]

Yeah, King started in the NFC Championship game against St. Louis in January of 2000. He couldn't even get his team into the endzone (13/29 0 TDs, 2 picks) and they lost 11-6. I still can't believe that TB held the '99 Rams to 11 freaking points in a playoff game and STILL lost. Sapp and Brooks should've fisted King in the locker room after the game.

King was their starter the following season and actually had decent fantasy stats (2,700 yds, 18 TDs, 350 rushing yds, 5 TDs), put up even FEWER points in the playoffs, and fell off the face of the Earth afterwards.

I honestly have no idea how King will do, but I'm not stupid enough to just write him off. Not with the WR's he's got to throw to now, compared to the garbage WR's he had in Tampa while playing "Dungy" ball. Also, check out the Cards December schedule. It goes likes this; Det, SF, STL, and SEA.

Next coupla' weeks will be a litmus test for him & the Cards.

Yeah, King started in the NFC Championship game against St. Louis in January of 2000.  He couldn't even get his team into the endzone (13/29 0 TDs, 2 picks) and they lost 11-6.  I still can't believe that TB held the '99 Rams to 11 freaking points in a playoff game and STILL lost.  Sapp and Brooks should've fisted King in the locker room after the game.

568180[/snapback]

Yeah, I remember that game now. It was the game the Refs gift wrapped and handed to the Rams. It was when they blew the Bert Emanuel catch right? Heck they even changed the wording of the rule so the Refs couldn't shaft another team like they did the Bucs in that game.

You were almost right Bill, Sapp and Brooks should've fisted someone after after that game, but it shoulda been the Refs, not King. :D

Edit: To add

After looking at Kings stats in the 2 seasons where he got significant playing time, he completed 56% of his passes and had a 30-17 TD-INT ratio.

Not great, but not bad...especially when considering the offensive game plan he was playing within and the WR's he had to work with.

Hmm..... :D

Edited by Big Score 1

I never knew what happened to this kid, he got thrown into the spotlight and all he ever did was win. He threw alot of INTs, but he did throw more TDs. He showed poise, he wasn't running around nervous. He looked like he could handle the job.

then gruden came in and lured Brad Johnson, king has been lost in the shuffle since. i can only assume he shows nothing in practices.

i would grab King off the waiver wire in you're in a keeper league. he has the talent at receiver. i definitely wouldn't start any ARZ QB/WR against CAR cause 75% of the TDs against CAR come on the ground.

Yeah, I remember that game now. It was the game the Refs gift wrapped and handed to the Rams. It was when they blew the Bert Emanuel catch right? Heck they even changed the wording of the rule so the Refs couldn't shaft another team like they did the Bucs in that game.

568359[/snapback]

Yeah, I remember that play. I also remember there being only about a minute left on the clock and the fact that the catch only would've put them on, like, the Rams' 20. Given that King couldn't get his team into the endzone the entire game, I don't think that he would've then either.

King wasn't bad statistically in 2000, but played terribly again in the playoffs (17/31, 0 TDs, 3 total points for the Bucs). He had Keyshawn that year, so the "crappy WR" excuse doesn't apply.

Yeah, you know Keyshawn Johnson, the three-time Pro Bowler who had 71 receptions and 8 TDs that year?

568873[/snapback]

Oh yeah....the guy who's a legend in his own mind and was benched by the Bucs last year mid season.

Is that who you mean Bill? :D

Oh yeah....the guy who's a legend in his own mind and was benched by the Bucs last year mid season.

Is that who you mean Bill? :D

568882[/snapback]

Yeah, the guy who was one of the best posession receivers in the NFL in the mid/late '90s and helped carry an offense that couldn't run the ball to a championship.

I can't believe you're defending Shaun King. Keyshawn is Jerry Rice compared to that ass clown. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Well after today I think it's pretty obvious that King is going to end up having a positive impact on the Cards WR's compared to what Josh McClown was doing.

28 completions on 52 attempts for 343 yards and a TD blows away anything McClown has done this year. :D

The three picks by King sucked, but who cares when your WR's are finally getting some yards. :D