[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Refs let the Pats D get away with another...

Bill Swerski

I was going up against Gonzo last night and I couldn't get enough of it. I watched every play I could and there were MANY non-calls I saw. There was a bad one on the drive before Bill mentions where I clearly saw him getting held by his jersey asd he came off the line by Harrison. The throw went the other way and no replay was played but I know I saw it clearly then, and at least 4/5 other times as well, including the one that inspired the post.

I think all the people .....  .......  should go rent a ski house together this winter.

571187[/snapback]

you say that like it's a bad thing :D

.... back to the question ....

i think the pats got away with murder in the afc champ game last year. i really don't think it's rampant or a conspiracy. most other games it's just a bad call or no-call here and there for both side.

this particular play had some contact from both players.... i do think it interfered with gonzo's ability to catch the ball...also a poor choice to even throw the ball. once thrown, should have been placed high for the college basketball star.

That bottom line is the Pats are a well coached team and proved it last night while the Chiefs have all the talent in the world with an awful coaching staff. I look at the Chiefs and ask myself how the hell can they be 3-7?  If you take both teams and swap coaching staffs the Chiefs would have crushed the Pats.

571405[/snapback]

:D

With the way that defense on KC plays? You obviously are only looking at the fantasy side of this game because the Chiefs D looked terrible last night and there isn't much the coaches can do about it.

Did you see that pass that Graham caught on the sideline and the Chiefs let him run for another 20 yards? That was the worst tackling...........

I was going up against Gonzo last night and I couldn't get enough of it. I watched every play I could and there were MANY non-calls I saw. There was a bad one on the drive before Bill mentions where I clearly saw him getting held by his jersey asd he came off the line by Harrison. The throw went the other way and no replay was played but I know I saw it clearly then, and at least 4/5 other times as well, including the one that inspired the post.

571467[/snapback]

Belichick TELLS his players to be overly-physical with the opposing WRs and TEs and to "take a few penalties if they have to," as Rodney Harrison said on ESPN Radio after last season's AFC Championship game. And I don't blame him for doing that. He's a coach, he's trying to win and, hey, if they can get away with it, ride that formula all the way to the SB. But the refs NEED to enforce the rules.

"Perceived?"  :D  Are you kidding me?

No, I want the rules enforced.  Because they weren't enforced in SB 36 or either of the league championship games last year.

BTW, I agree that the call on Harrison later in the game was a bad one.  Then again, that one didn't take away 7 points from the other team.

This is where you're wrong.  I'm not upset with the Pats for cheating.  I'm upset with the refs for not enforcing the rules.

571431[/snapback]

I respect your opinion as a well informed football guy on most things...

That said, I think your chuckle is a bit misplaced. I call it perceived because every team in the NFL does it. You look at last year's AFC Championship game and see an aggregious abuse of the rules and an even worse job of officiating by the refs. Having read many of your posts there is no doubt in my mind that this event has created a bias with respect to the enforcement of the rules where the Patriots DBs are concerned. It is evident to me in your statement of "not blaming the Pats for cheating". Then again, I guess I don't consider contact with a receiver 'cheating', I just consider it a part of the game that every team tries to use to their advantage.

I was at that AFC Championship game, and did not have the opportunity to see the things you saw on TV, via replay, etc.. I won't say you are wrong on that particular instance because truly I don't know. I do know that I watch at least 2 football games per week, and see nothing different from opposing secondaries than I do from the Pats, save for their effectiveness. I also know that when I watch a Pats game I see many fouls against my team that are not called, and I am sure my eyes tend to be subconsciously much more forgiving for what I see my team do.

Either way, Harrison's interception was clean. Perhaps there should have been a flag there, but not on that player. It might have been 7 points, or it might have been 3, or it might have been none. Better enforcement of the rules would be better for all. The notion that the Pats get a free pass more than most is silly, bordering on absurd IMHO.

Better enforcement of the rules would be better for all.  The notion that the Pats get a free pass more than most is silly, bordering on absurd IMHO.

571603[/snapback]

Well, I suppose that one could argue that the Panthers fouled the Eagles' receivers just as badly in their league championship game last year. This isn't all about the Pats. It's about the refs.

The fact remains that the Pats have gotten away with A LOT in the playoffs over the past three years. They roughed up the Rams' WRs in SB 36 and the Colts' WRs and TEs in the AFC Championship game last year.

I'm sorry if you think that I'm picking on your team, but when one of its players TELLS the media that their coach INSTRUCTED them to rough up the other team's receivers in a playoff game and to "take a few penalties if they have to" and the league vows to crack down on this type of behavior but apparently has NOT, I'm going to get a bit pissy with the refs and wonder what's going on. NFL refs have let NE get away with A LOT in the past and, even after Tagliabue tried to more strongly enforce the "illegal contact" rule, things don't seem to have changed much.

Again, my gripe is with the refs, not the Pats. The Pats are just the ones who seem to be benefitting from the lack of rule enforcement the most. FWIW, I was just as upset with the refs five years ago when they botched the "Bert Emmanuel catch" in the playoffs and I'm in no way a Bucs fan.