[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for the Captain

Ursa Majoris

Owner Jim Irsay has stated on two occasions that he will resign both Edge and Marvin. The way they cleared cap space going into this year and didn't use it (they are still under the cap) I have been predicting they resign one and franchise the other. Of course, it all depends how the rest of the season shakes out.

As for Rhodes, he is a FA as well. Personally, I do not think he is an everydown back. He has a chronic problem with his shoulder popping out of joint, along with numerous other minor injuries. Not to mention he tore his ACL a couple years back. IF the Colts don't keep James, I think a back will come in via free agency or the draft. Personally, I don't think Edge is going anywhere. If you're looking for next year, I'd say Rhodes is not a safe bet. But if you've got the roster space, why not?

Edited by CaptainHook

Owner Jim Irsay has stated on two occasions that he will resign both Edge and Marvin.  The way they cleared cap space going into this year and didn't use it  (they are still under the cap) I have been predicting they resign one and franchise the other.  Of course, it all depends how the rest of the season shakes out. 

As for Rhodes, he is a FA as well.  Personally, I do not think he is an everydown back.  He has a chronic problem with his shoulder popping out of joint, along with numerous other minor injuries.  Not to mention he tore his ACL a couple years back.  IF the Colts don't keep James, I think a back will come in via free agency or the draft.  Personally, I don't think Edge is going anywhere.  If you're looking for next year, I'd say Rhodes is not a safe bet.  But if you've got the roster space, why not?

571099[/snapback]

Very perceptive of you, I did add Rhodes to my squad just last week. I do have the space as most of the rest of the RBs are worthless themselves. I thought he might be insurance for Edge, but unless something extraordinary happens between now and the new season, I'd be very unlikely to keep him. Thanks for the insight, most helpful. :D

Owner Jim Irsay has stated on two occasions that he will resign both Edge and Marvin.  The way they cleared cap space going into this year and didn't use it  (they are still under the cap) I have been predicting they resign one and franchise the other.  Of course, it all depends how the rest of the season shakes out. 

As for Rhodes, he is a FA as well.  Personally, I do not think he is an everydown back.  He has a chronic problem with his shoulder popping out of joint, along with numerous other minor injuries.  Not to mention he tore his ACL a couple years back.  IF the Colts don't keep James, I think a back will come in via free agency or the draft.  Personally, I don't think Edge is going anywhere.  If you're looking for next year, I'd say Rhodes is not a safe bet.  But if you've got the roster space, why not?

571099[/snapback]

All that I'll add is that I can see the Colts going with a RBBC if James doesn't come back. Not that Dungy runs the offense (Peyton 1, Tom Moore 2) but we know from his days at Tampa that he doesn't mind a RBBC. Then again, the Colts don't have an Alstott to make that decision simple.

I don't see them going after a FA RB. They are too good at making about any back look pretty decent to good. I would hate to see James go mainly for 2 reasons:

1 - His blocking. This guy gets after it on passing plays where he is a blocker (not terribly often actually, but still a guy I want in the backfield for that).

2 - The playaction pass. He makes it look very good and helps Manning have one more way to make the defense lose a step.