[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Want to know a little something about Auburn?

PatrickL

By Scott Van Pelt...

Maryland is my wife...Auburn is " the other woman ".

If you all love college sports - and I assume you do - you really need to see a game there. I have been lucky to see a lot of places, I have not seen a lot of places like that. It's an amazing scene in every respect. Granted,

I was there for # 3 vs. # 5...Auburn was 9-0 so it was bound to be good.

Some highlights:

I arrived at night with the stadium lit up like a Christmas tree. It sits dead in the middle of campus. A shrine...literally their church - only services are held on Saturday. Made me say....hmmmm...this is promising.

Gameday scene -

tailgating in every available space...and not like some field full of RV's - though they had that too. But literally people grilling and drinking in every available spot for as far as the eye could see. I lost count of the

number of bands and stages and this was at 9 AM.

The Fans -

I knew I was in a " red state " from all the Suburbans with W stickers but the truth of it is, this part of Alabama is an orange state. Every man woman and child is in the same shade of orange. Not unusual I know ...but THIS was...they are nice, friendly , and polite - to GEORGIA FANS. Nobody

called anyone in Black and Red @#%$ or *sshole..nobody told them they sucked nobody told them *uck you. These people are your friends, you don't know it yet because you haven't met them - but when you do - you have met a friend. you want a beer ? some bar- B - Q ? grab some. Let's talk for a

while....war eagle...let's have a good game. I saw this at tailgate after tailgate. Stragglers who wander by are offered anything that's available -

didn't matter what color they were wearing. This is the oldest rivalry in the South - they call it Brother vs. Brother and they mean it. Now there are certainly cliche's about downhome country sensibilities - but these

folks embodied the best part of the notion of southern hospitality. Though many did admit it's a tad LESS civil for the Iron Bowl.

Tiger Walk :

Impossible to describe. Im - possible. A human welcome mat for the team. The team walks through several blocks to Jordan - Hare through a sea of people. I asked somebody how many folks were there and was told they could never come up with an accurate head count but that they were certain it was " well in excess of 25,000 people. " That looked a little light to me...I would have bought 40 grand. 2 hours before kick the streets in all directions were completely - and I mean COMPLETELY jammed. It was like a religious experience. If you can be in the middle of this - and I was lucky enough to get to walk through it - and not be overwhelmed , you are dead my friend. ( I just went Larry King on your asses- sorry )I was honestly in awe.

Gametime :

The eagle circles as 87,521 people ( less the UGA fans ) cheer Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar EAGLE HEY!!! The eagle pounces on some meat product and the hair on the back of your neck stands up...then if you are still unimpressed you get an F 16 flyover and were off and running. Auburn dominates, the band plays, the fans hoot and holler louder than anywhere I have ever been ( and go Spinal tap and take it to volume 11 when UGa tries to audible ) 24 - 6 and it's time for more food and drink...but before that...

Toomer's corner :

everyone converges on the intersection of college st and whatever the other road is and they toilet paper every tree in sight. By the time it's over, it looks like a blizzard has rolled through Alabama. There are no riots, no police, no cars set on fire. There are families from grandparents to infants chucking rolls of toilet paper all over the place. Again, i just shake my head at a loss...and maybe a little jealous.

It's a special place, the best scene I have ever seen for college football. I have ZERO doubt " our " TEAM could someday be as good. As fans though, perhaps we should aspire to be as classy as those I was hosted by. The type of hostile, vile garbage we are subjected to on the road and are certainly guilty of at home is just embarrassing when you see how they do it elsewhere. Not preaching here - just some thoughts of one VERY proud Terrapin after seeing the light Auburn style.

thanks for the diss when i try to make a positive post. I was there, auburn fans cheered until the end. were you there? it's amazing USC didn't win by more than 23-0. If we woulda played you all after Leinart found his groove, it woulda been much much worse. we just didn't have an offense that could compete w/ good teams in 2003. The USC fans i met last year were a lot nicer than you and weren't nearly the smartass that you are. I've been a USC fan ever since, but you are testing that! However that was 2003, this is now, AU would KILL USC this year w00. WDE!!

Hey, just joking with you, PL - relax! You're right - we USC fans are a nice, laid-back bunch. You guys are much better this year, altho I still think we would take you. Your QB reminds me of Carson Palmer his senior year, in that the "lightbulb came on" - seems much more poised and confident than in the past. He couldn't give our D much trouble last year, but I think he could this year.

And I would actually like to see a game in Jordan-Hare someday. Sounds cool....

Sounds like Nirvana to me. But then again I am used to AZ vs AZ ST. It is always somewhat entertaining to watch drunk students fight with one another. The best college football venue I have ever been to was in Seattle at UW. What a spectacle. Fans are awesome and welcoming to AZ fans (probably cause they know what their team is going to do yours). The view of the puget sound and the city on a clear day with Mt. Ranier seemingly on top of you. The best part was watching the boats make their way to the stadium. How cool is that?

Although I'm a bit biased, the most enjoyable college games I've attended is the Florida-Georgia games in Jacksonville. It seems that the best fans from both schools make this trip. I remember walking through all the tail-gating and being given great food by UF and UG alumni alike. In the early 80's, this was great for a poor college student. It was good fun. And there really is nothing like seeing a stadium that has alternating sections of UF fans/UG Fans.

My fantasy football name in three of my leagues (Dirty Swamp Lizards) came directly from a friendly taunt by a Georgia co-ed.

Sounds great. Though I'd stick my first experience at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville up there with any. Talk about the holy land. I'd just moved to NC from CA and met one of my best friends for the Alabama game. A friend of his and his three brothers had an extra ticket for me about 25 rows up on the 40 yard line. Of course they didn't want any money for it. This from the guys who'd also just fed me tri tip and draft beer from their tailgate. We snuck our flasks in, bought large cokes (conveniently only 3/4 full) and walked to our seats. What a freaking spectacle! Because of our seats, we were sitting with the wealthy alumni rather than the rowdy kids, but it was still great. Well aside from the fact that they kicked our butts for the first time in years.

Hell, Charlie Daniels Band played at half-time! Talk about a hearty welcome to the south.

The next year's pilgrimage didn't yield any better luck as we got throttled by Georgia. Hopefully when I head back this week to meet them for the Kentucky game I'll finally get to see them win in person (I'm beginning to think I'm bad luck). That said, see you in the Championship.

GO VOLS!

Hey, just joking with you, PL - relax!  You're right - we USC fans are a nice, laid-back bunch.  You guys are much better this year, altho I still think we would take you.  Your QB reminds me of Carson Palmer his senior year, in that the "lightbulb came on" - seems much more poised and confident than in the past.  He couldn't give our D much trouble last year, but I think he could this year.

And I would actually like to see a game in Jordan-Hare someday.  Sounds cool....

571854[/snapback]

I woulda attest to that. I was at the Orange Bowl 2 years ago, when Carson Palmer lit up my Hawks. The USC fans were very nice about the a$$whooping they just laid. They were particularly impressed with the few Iowa fans that actually stayed, lol. Met a couple of nice young Southern California Females too in Deerfield Beach, fL. So I got nothing but respect for USC and their fans.

Met a couple of nice young Southern California Females too in Deerfield Beach, fL. So I got nothing but respect for USC and their fans.

572885[/snapback]

Amen brother - and don't get me started on the "talent" around here. Can't be beat, altho we do see some nice talent every so often on the TV during some of those SEC/ACC games. (Thank God the cameramen are horn-dogs, like the rest of us!) Especially early in the season, when less clothing is worn....

Edited by Coffeeman